main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

P.Rico Welcome to Hogsmead, the Place for Witches and Wizards

Discussion in 'Latin America General Discussion' started by Spike_Spiegel, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Essiery

Essiery Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2002
    Apparently Rafa isn't gonna read this thread so we wont have to worry about spoiling it for him

Any others that don't wanna be spoiled, I recomend you do the same!!!

I hate Umbridge!! I wanted to put that quill of hers where the sun don't shine.

Since I knew the defense teacher was gonna be a woman, I was hoping it would be Tonks at the begining of the book. I liked her.

What did everyone think of Harry's new personality? Apparently he's turning to the dark side of the force... being angry all the time.
    Personally I tried to explain it by thinking that he's acting this way because he's still traumatized by the end of the 4rth book. That was enough to mess-up anyone.

2. Rao

Rao Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2002
    Yes I agree, Umbridge is one detestable witch!(pun intended)

lets talk about the one who dies with out saying his/her actual name ex. he who dies, you know who(for the other one we use voldemart or tom or riddle)

I ask this for the people that have not read the books but intend to do in the future (Tony) and I don't want him ti know even if he does...

Loved Luna Lovegood if Hermione and Ginny don not watch themselves they might loose me as an unbreakable sentinel of their honor. just kidding

3. Essiery

Aug 18, 2002
    I don't really know how to talk about that character without giving spoilers. Either we can talk about it or we can't, that's why I was just telling whoever hasn't read not to read this thread because it's too hard to discuss a book without talking about it.

Can I talk about it or not?

4. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    Bueno aqui hay algunas similitudes entre Star Wars y OoTP que alguien mando y las pusieron en el main page de TF.net:

There ARE some drastic similarities between what happens in Book 5 and Star Wars. Voldemort, just as Palpatine is doing with the Senate, is taking over the Ministry of Magic through his underlings. The entire bureacracy of the wizarding world is shown as something contemptible, just as democracy in the Republic is becoming in the prequels. To counter Voldemort's growing power Dumbledore has begun assembling a "rebel alliance", the Order of the Phoenix.
    There are two reasons why Harry was sent to live with the Dursleys, and why Voldemort has never attacked Harry while he was growing up and during his summer vacations. Those reasons are VERY much like why young Luke was sent to Owen and Beru, it can be speculated.

Kingsley Shacklebolt is **cool**! He's the Mace Windu of Book V. Minus the earring he even looks like Mace. Imagine Samuel L. Jackson's "Shaft" with a magic wand and that's Shacklebolt.

No family relationship of any kind is revealed to be between Harry, Voldemort, and Dumbledore. But we do learn a lot about the families of other major characters: f'rinstance, Hagrid finds that he has a half-brother, a full giant named Grawp. There is a family relationship between one of the good guys (not Harry) and a villain, however.

At least one side (and based on rumor the other one also) has been building a "secret army" to fight its enemy, something like the clones/battledroids shown in AOTC.

A major character dies, and it happens in a way that will hearken many back to the deaths of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn. It's a death made in sacrifice and Harry has a very hard time letting go.

Harry sees this death happen right in front of him. What happens next is positively scary: if this were Star Wars, Harry would have fallen to the Dark Side just as Anakin is doing. He becomes so enraged at the person responsible for the death that Harry becomes hellbent on killing this person. In the course of the attack Harry does something that has previously been described as "unforgivable".

In Star Wars some Jedi come back as "ghosts" and it's rumored that Episode III reveals why it is that some Jedi do that. Toward the end of Book V we discover why some people become ghosts while most don't: Near-Headless Nick tells Harry that only wizards/witches become ghosts, and then only if they are people who are afraid of letting go of life. It's NOT something to desire existing on as a ghost, apparently, while everyone else moves on past "the veil".

The long, long, LONG awaited battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort finally happens. It's hard not to see, especially with the illustration at the beginning of the chapter, that it's similar to a lightsaber fight.

The Dumbledore/Harry relationship as master/apprentice seemingly follows the Obi-Wan/Anakin path to self-destruction. Dumbledore is holding back from Harry. And Harry is not happpy, to put it mildly.

More than ever before, Harry Potter has become the "Chosen One" in the mold of Anakin Skywalker. Toward the end of the book it's revealed that shortly before Harry was born, a prophecy was made that a boy child born in the last days of July would be marked as an equal to the Dark Lord. And it is their fate that neither shall live until one is dead. Harry is now living with the knowledge that it is his destiny to either die at Voldemort's hand or kill Voldemort... making him a murderer.

The final words of Star Wars Episode II, uttered by Yoda, are "Begun, the Clone War has." The title of the final chapter of Harry Potter Book V, Chapter 38, is "The Second War Begins".

Algunas están traidas por los pelos, pero otras están right on the money. Anyway como ambas sagas siguen una formula narrativa mas o menos universal y juegan con los mismos onceptos, good vs. evil, epic quest by a lone hero and his companion, corruption, greed, friendship, etc; no es sorprendente que hayan similitudes.

5. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    Entonces discutamos sin problema

y Tony que no lea este thread.

6. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Let the games begin!

I loved the final free-for-all battle. My imagination ran wild and I can't wait to see it if they get it right in the movies.

I knew Sirius would be killed from the start. I knew that if somebody was to die, Hagrid was way too important and Siruis' death would be harder for Harry to take.

I'll talk some more after I get some sleep!

7. Essiery

Aug 18, 2002
    I wasn't surprised about Sirius either. I thought it would be either him, Hagrid, or Molly or Arthur but I highly doubted the last two.

What struct me is that they didn't show his death. Sirius was alive and just really surprised when he got cursed by Bellatrix but her curse didn't kill him. It is assumed that he died when he fell throught that weird thingimabob. It is mentioned that the Department of Mysteries was studying life/death and that was what we assume the object is. It is also mentioned REPEATEDLY that Harry thought he was hearing voices that came from the object or a curtain near the object.

My theory: yes Sirius kinda died when he fell through the object because that is what the object is but it is also true that Harry was hearing the voices of the other "dead" that went through the object so we can safely asume that they are trapped there between life and death... they didn't go to heaven/hell because we can still hear that they are around and they did not become ghosts because we can't see them.

They are trapped in that weird object and they might all be liberated, including Sirius , in a later book.... maybe the end of book 7 so that Harry can finally leave the Dursleys and enjoy Sirius' company if he wishes.

8. MegaJediRafa

MegaJediRafa RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, just finished reading. Great book.

In my opinion, I have to agree with Gilda. You never really see Sirius dying. We only get the details on how he seemed surprised when shot, and then he fell through the veil. So knowing Rowling, she is merely teasing the audience.

Harry needs Sirius, he himself said that he felt his life was divided in two, the life he had before the death, and his new life. I think he will be back (not necessarily in human form). I think that when Luna told Harry about the veil, Rowling was giving us a big hint. If I'm not mistaken she suffered and cried a lot while writing the death scene. This might be a "possibility" she made just in case she feels sorry later on for what she did to Sirius.

About other characters, I'd have to say I loved Luna since the first scene on the train. I've always loved "weirdos". :D

I also LOVED Umbridge. But don't get me wrong, I loved her because she made it much easier for me to get into the story and what the characters might be feeling because of the hatred I felt towards her.
    Every time I read the "Hmm, hmm" or how she interrupted someone, I got so angry I loved it.
    My favorite scene of the book was Fred and George's rebellious escape. It was BRILLIANT. The way they escaped without letting Umbridge even punish them, the swamp they created, and the student's rebellious attitudes the following days. :p If it weren't for Umbridge I wouldn't have enjoyed that scene so much, another reason why to love her even more. :D
    Simply Brilliant.

About the who-will-end-up-with-who theme, I have to admit that before I read the book I hoped Harry and Cho would end up together, but now I don't like Cho that much. Now I'll have to say "Harry and Ginny, or Luna".

Another scene I liked was when Malfoy got the beating by Harry and George (was it George?). About time! Hey now that I think of it, they never mentioned if Harry was Unbanned from playing! (That's kinda obvious).

Oh, I almost forgot to mention I also loved the concept of that room that appeared whenever they needed it, can't remember the name (I thought it was an excellent idea when Dumbledore spoke about it in book 4).

9. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    I think it is simply amazing how Rowling takes things that seem insignificant in the past books and makes them really important in the later books.

I also love how she gives you snippets of the story of the characters as time goes along. This is specially true of James and Snape. Snape is the coolest!

And I agree with Rafa, the twin rebellion was wonderful! I can't wait until the kids go to the Twin's joke shop before next term!

EDIT: Found this in somebody's sig, I found it really funny!

THE END OF HARRY POTTER #7
    Ron: You love him... don't you?
    Hermione: Yes
    Ron: Alright... I understand. Fine. When he comes back, I won't get in the way.
    Hermione: It's not like that at all. He's my brother.

10. Essiery

Aug 18, 2002
    I also gave two thumbs way up when Fred and George rebbelled!!!

I loved the book but it had many things that weren't quite right.

One of the criticisms I have of this book is that JK "flew" over the school year (because the beginning was too long) and we missed way too many things.

I personally was very curious at how the twin's parents, especially Molly would react since she was always against the joke shop. I understand it's very hard to see this because the book is from Harry's point of view but I was still hoping Ron would mention something at some point, especially since we were reminded so often of Molly's disaproval.

Another example of how the school year wasn't there is the absolute absence of the Halloween Feast, most classes (except for Potions and defense), any indication of Ron's and Hermione's posible future relationship, and other Hogsmead weekends apart from when they went to the Hog's Head.

JK also changed some personalities. We all know how much Snapes hates Harry but throwing his potions away was too mean even for him. I would have understood him doing this after Harry saw his memories but before this incident... it just sounded as mean as Umbridge and not Snapes.

What does everyone think?

11. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    Harry is not going to end with Luna too weird for him and besides shes taken with Ron.

Ron and Hermione's relationship will flourish eventually patiaence my friends. It's obvious

did anyone got this: when harry entes for the first time in Grimmauld Place he feel as he was entering the house of a dying man. p.60 last parragraph.

She told us from the beginning

and check this out

Grimmauld Place = Grim old place. sounds the same

and Kreacher = Creature Ja ja ja

Loved the twins they were beilliant in this one

when Molly said that every one of her sons were made prefects and they say "what are we nwxt door neihbors" LOL

and the cheer HE GOT OFF! HE GOT OFF! HE GOT OFF! with Ginny that was great.

I'm still a Harry and Ginny shipper

more after this short messages

12. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Yeah, you gotta love the twins. :D I was actually cheering loudly when I read that part. The people around me kept giving me weird looks. :p

"Harry, you're worse than Ron.... Well, no, you're not" [face_laugh] Loved that part.

I also think that Ron and Hermione are destined to be together.

Before I read the book I was hoping that Harry and Cho would end up together. Oh well.

Edit: Darn spelling errors

13. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually, I see why Snape was so bitchy with Harry. Voldemort is back, all things are going to hell fast and Harry is the best way for him to lash out.

We really should meet IRL and discuss this magical (pun intented :p ) book.

14. Essiery

Aug 18, 2002
    the meeting IRL is not a bad idea...

I loved when Harry's interview was published and Prof. Trelawney says something like "I'm sorry to say, Harry, that you will not be dying any time soon,you will live to be an old man"

I was laughing so hard.

15. MegaJediRafa

Feb 1, 2002
    ... and the minister of magic"

16. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    I must point out a gripe. What happened with the O.W.L.s????

BTW, how about lunch sometime in the week?

17. MegaJediRafa

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, en una parte del libro aclaran que los resultados de los O.W.Ls se los daran el proximo ano.

18. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    Good idea let's do lunch sometime this week and discuss.

19. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Coolness! Podrian Miercoles, Jueves o Viernes? Estaba pensando que el grupito de Potterphiliacs de PRJO nos deberiamos llamar el "D.A." :p

Rafa, me referia a si los acabaron bien o no. Recuerda que todo exploto cuando estaban haciendo la ultima prueba.

20. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    cualquier dia esta bien conmigo.

21. Jedi_Boricua

Jedi_Boricua Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2002
    Okay aqui va la fecha, si no les gusta pues la cambiamos.

ESTE JUEVES A LA 1 PM, lunch.

Lugar: TBDetermined

22. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Excellent!

DA meeting on Thursday!

23. Essiery

Aug 18, 2002
    Great! I'll look forward to the D.A. meeting.

where should we go eat? I wanna know how much money I should have with me on Thursday.

24. Rao

Oct 29, 2002
    el jueves entonces

25. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    Digan opciones de donde. Quizas Chili's de Plaza?

Every Potter fan is invited!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.