main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to Jurrasic Park! (The JP3 discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I know, I know. JP3 is technically not an LFL film. But it is an ILM project, which is a Lucas property.

This thread is devoted to discussing JP3 (or any of the JP movies if you wish).

You are now in the Visitor center. We have three "paddocks". The JP paddock, the Lost World Paddock, and the JP3 paddock.

There may be spoilers in the JP3 paddock, so beware...

In the JP3 paddock, the first thing I wanna discuss is the rumored cameo at the end of Jurassic Park 3. I personally hope it is Roland Tembo. I think he's one of the best characters in the Jurassic Park films. Spoilers (highlight to read): This is why I think it may be Tembo. The next to last track on the JP3 soundtrack is entitle something like "Return of the Man in the Hat". That leads me to believe that it may either be Tembo, or Hammond. . End spoilers.

What cameo would you all like to see?

2. The_Wampa

The_Wampa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2001
    The second on sucks. This movie will be better because the original people are coming back.

3. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I hear that it still sucks...

The ILM effects look very nicely done though.

4. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Agreed, the Lost Word sucked. Here's my problems with TLW:

-Too much out-of-place humor in tense situations
    -the inclusion of the kid
    -the whole "Dinos come to USA" end sequence. Loses the mystery of the fact that JP could happen without us knowing about it, and there were too many plotholes in this sequence (like the severed arm in the ship bridge. How did the T-rex get in there?)

But from what I've read, JP3 is supposed to be pretty good. Apparently its a darker mover than the first two.

5. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    The Spino-thingy-saurus looks cool!

6. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    JP3 has a kid.

No more DAMN KIDS!!!

EDIT:

Judging from the commercials and trailers, it seems the same old scenarios are being rehashed.

1) Characters being thrown around in a vehicle while attacked by a large carnivore.

Examples:

JP - T-Rex attacking suvs with kids in it.

TLW - 2 T-Rexs attacking trailer.

JP3 - Spinosarus attacking crashed plane.

2) Raptors showing up during the second half of film.

3) NERDY scientific warnings about dinos by the group genius.

4) Running from vegie dinos.

Examples:

JP - Grant and the kids running from the flock of dinos

JP3 - Grant and company running from the flock of dinos.

5) Carnivores fighting each other.

Examples:

JP - T-Rex attackes raptors at climax.

TLW - Two raptors attack each other at gas station.

JP3 - T-Rex and Spinosaurus have a rumble.

7. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Judging by the script, this kid's role is different from the others. In other words, I don't think he'll be annoying.

They do some creative things with the dinosaurs in this movie, unlike TLW. Particularly the raptors, pteradons, and Spinosauras. I think that's the whole point of this kind of genre. It's not neccessarily the overall plot, but how intricately you can use the creatures to create excitement

8. Indy2

Indy2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    TLW sucked cause Sam Neill was not in it........JP3 looks like the sequel; that should have been made....

9. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    These were my problems with TLW:

1. Julianne Moore. Never really liked her.

2. The story. Very much unlike Jurassic Park. I hope JP3 feels more like the original.

3. No Sam Neill.

Well, at least 2 of those 3 won't be involved with JP3. JP3 and Planet of the Apes are 2 films that I've been looking forward to for a while, and I hope they don't disappoint.

10. DoctorZaius

DoctorZaius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2001
    has anyone read the Lost World novel?
    it is much better then the movie. it has almost a completely differnt plot.

JP3 looks pretty cool from the small amount i've seen and heard about it.

11. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    IMO, the Jurassic Park novel was better than the JP movie. But they changed some things so it would make a better 2-hour film.

But you're right about the Lost World: the book was way better than the movie.

BTW, JP3 is the first JP film made not to be based on a book (though I'm sure there will be a novellization, not done by Crichton). From what I've read, it looks like JP3 is similar to the Lost World novel in ways. But I think JP3 will have - by far - the best action sequences of the 3 movies.

12. chimp2k1

chimp2k1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2001
    Here's my take on the movies (and books).

I saw JP five times at the cinema- I was only small and at least three of these were friends' and my own birthday parties- and it has been one of my favourite films of all time since.

The Michael Crichton novel was very good, but I don't think it worked as well as the film.

I was horribly disappointed by TLW, particularly as I had been looking forward to it and had already enjoyed the novel (a far superior story). Spielberg largely ignored Crichton's novel and this had an obviously adverse effect. TLW should have gone a little darker, as the novel had, and the T-Rex rampaging through people's back gardens should have been cut completely.

I have not yet seen JP3 (it's not out for another week this side of the pond) but what I have seen has got me pretty excited again- I hope I'm not disappointed this time.

13. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I think JPIII will most likely suck unless Mike Crichton was involved...was he?

I also think the JPIII web site sucks. I wanna download a trailer, not play game!

I also think I will see the movie 50 times and buy the DVD, so it doesn't matter.

14. Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu

Jun 1, 2001
    Crichton has nothing to do with JP3. There's not even a novelization for it. But Crichton's involvement is not critical. Remember "Congo"?

The TLW ending was a joke. It completely ruined the mystery of Jurassic Park. They should've stuck with the Pteradons.

15. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Well, I actually got a chance to see this film. I wasn't too impressed, though I thought it was better than TLW. It seemed a little short and didn't feel like anything of real importance happened. The original still stands as the best. I didn't find this movie that interesting.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I happen to like TLW, and despite the fact that it was no near to the level of the first film, I found it to be vey enjoyable, and I got a feeling that JP3 won't be bad at all. The effects look great, and Sam Neil is back!

17. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    yoda...no spoilers! Please!

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I Saw JP3 on opening day! Not only that but I got to see it on one of the 10 digital projection units.

Some people will dislike this movie, but I for one loved it. I won't spoil it unless you want me to.

SPOILER:

the only cameo is Ellie Sattler.... ooooh, that one could make some people very mad... ask me if you want to know specifics

19. DoctorZaius

DoctorZaius Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2001
    i saw JP3 last night.
    i found it an enjoyable movie but it ended way to soon. i would have enjoyed a bigger final confrontation with the raptors (maybe revealing something really cool about them) but instead we are left with a pretty weak ending. It didn't seem to go anywhere or reveal anything. The movie was just about more dinosaurs killing more people.

20. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Jurassic Park III was a brilliantly entertaining film. Yeah, it wasn't very challenging, but was the first one? If you want some good entertainment, I definitely recommend going to see it. It's jolly good! Hmmm...that sounded bit too much like an advert, didn't it?

21. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Is it just me, or was that director Steve Soderbergh in a cameo at the end? On second thought, it could be any geeky-looking guy with glasses.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I survived the Jedi purge and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I saw the movie Thursday night and I thought it was awesome. I liked the storyline in this one and I actually thought it was better than the original. One thing bothered me though, it was too short. One minute I'm sitting in the theatre waiting for it to start and before I know it, the credits are rolling. Other than that, it's an excellant movie.

23. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    I wonder if Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan could survive a battle with those big dinosaurs in Jurrasic Park? a couple T-Rex's charge them while they are walking through the park and catch them off guard, the jedi would be screwed but Darth Maul would survive.

24. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    I thought "Jurassic Park" was excellent, and the "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" was okay but still entertaining. "Jurassic Park III" was not nearly as good as the first but an improvement on the second. I can't say much for the plot or the character development, but the cast was good (great seeing the underappreciated Sam Niell again) and director Joe Johnston did some new and imaginative things within the same old formula. Lots of action, humour, and suspense. Plenty of what I call "Oh cr@p!" moments. The film is rather short at only 90 minutes, but rather efficient in its execution. "Jurassic Park III" could use a "special edition" with extra footage (where's that Ankylosaur vs. Velociraptors fight they talked about?), but it's better that we are left wanting more than wanting less.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Rejected 'Star Wars' licensed product #901: The Phillip Morris 'Sound Like Darth Vader' Cigarette Smoking Starter Kit."

25. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I saw the movie and i thought it was a good movie too. But like others said to short and no good ending. I don't know why people are putting down TLW. The ending was GREAT. I was hoping the the WHOLE JP3 would be about the dino's in the city. But at least we got a peak at that in JP2.
    I thought JP3 had a GREAT potential of ending really cool if

SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER

IF the Big Dino attacked the Marines at the end. Then that would of been GREAT. Even better then the ending of JP2. Oh well other then the ending i thought it was good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.