main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to Jurrasic Park! (The JP3 discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    JMASTER LUKE: TLW had its problems (No Dr. Grant, no Carnotaurus, and not enough of the Pteranodons), but from what I've heard of the basic plot of Michael Crichton's novel it sounded like a real hack job and the Spielberg film seemed like an improvement. I thought the much-maligned T-Rex in San Diego scene was one of the best things about TLW, because it was something we did not see in the original JP.

JP3's ending seems kind of lacklustre, as everything else in the movie was top-notch. I think we should petition for a JP3 "special edition" with 15-minutes of extra footage. Have the Spinosaur attack the Marines, and give us the rumoured Ankylosaur vs. Velociraptors fight. However, I like how Dr. Grant makes peace with the Raptors, so to speak (they're not such bad guys once you talk to them).

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I say Star Wars! Ooh, good God y'all, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin', nothin'..."

2. The_Skywalker

The_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    JP3 was pretty good. I liked it a lot and I'm hoping for more sequels (with Dr. Grant and Malcom). The only thing I didn't like about JP3 is

SPOILER:

You only see the T-Rex a few minutes before it's killed. The T-Rex/Spinosaurus fight was way too short. At the end, the Spinosaurus should have attacked the marines and then the T-Rex's mate should have popped out and fought the Spinosaurous. That would have allowed the marines to escape. Although, that would be copying JP1 climax (T-Rex pops in and chews up some raptors). More people should have died, and the raptors shouldn't have been such wusses.

Other than that, the movies were great ;)

3. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    I didn't mind the short screentime for the T-Rex. We saw plenty of the T-Rex in JP, and TLW seemed to be almost entirely about the T-Rex. I thought it was a good idea for JP3 to move on to new dinosaurs. I hope this trend continues in JP4 and we see even more new varieties (I hope we finally see the Carnotaurus on the big screen, but without that silly chameleon-ability Michael Crichton wrote into his novel "The Lost World". The idea of a 7.5m long creature hiding by changing its colour is just plain stupid. Spielberg was smart for leaving that out.)

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "'Star Wars' fans need not be ashamed. As for 'Goonies' fans, I pity those poor misguided bastards."

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    As for the raptors being wusses, refer to the original JP book. Then remember the ending to JP3. Quite similar, eh?

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I agree Luke-I saw the movie-that would have been cool.

6. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    This movie was alright. No where nearly as good as the first one though.

There were so many moments where I got really frustrated, and wished Spielberg had directed it.

- In the plane, when Grant gets hit over the head, and camera fades to black... That was really cheesy, and I actually laughed.

- I thought the Spinosaurus in general was stupid. Why do we need something bigger then a T-Rex? He sure as hell scared me in the first movie. The Spinosaurus seemed like a Godzilla reject.

- Why is it we see the kid jumping out of the tree (in the video camera they find), and we here his companion say "I'll be right down", yet he's dead? What the hell happened? Did some dinosaur kill the man, while the boy ran away? Huh? [face_plain]

- The oppening. I really didn't like how they set that up. It seemed like a really dumb way of getting the kid on the island. And what hell happened to the people in the boat? One minute they're there, the next they're gone. ARG! [face_plain]

- The movie didn't scared me. All the action sequences were introduced far too quickly and sudeenly. In the original, the reason the T-Rex was so scary was because of the riples in the water, adn they way he was slowly introduced. The Spinosaurus jumps out of the trees, and had no real fear-factor. Infact, the only scary momeny of the film was in the 'bird cage'. I really like that scene, because everything was done slowly, and with the mist, you couldn't see the dinos :)

- The script was terrible. It felt like the dialogue was just stuck in as a filler between action scenes.

- I find it really hard to believe that kid could survive there for 8 weeks.

- The raptors. This is something that really got on my nerves. We have these super-intellegent raptors, that don't DO ANYTHING! They're always in the background, searching for their eggs. And when they get them, what do they do? They run!!

- The ending was rediculous. There was no climax! The raptors run away!!! ARG!! [face_plain]

All in all, a rather poor entry into the JP series. The effects were great, the action scenes fairly good, but overall... it left a bad taste in my mouth.

7. Master_Beerstalker

Master_Beerstalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2001
    I have to agree with a lot of the comments already made. My biggest was the length of the movie. In my theatre it started at 7:30 and ended at 9:15. Take away 10 minutes for trailers and another 10 minutes for the credits and the movie is only 85 minutes long! What's with that??

Spoilers

There should have been more detail. How did the people in the boat disappear, how did the kids step dad die, how did the guy get away from the Pteradons, how did the kid survive for 8 weeks?????? Also, I'm still upset they killed T-Rex. He's the king of all Dinosaurs, and the last I knew he was still the largest land carnivore ever. From what I know the Spinosaur was only about 2/3 the size of a T-rex and would have got his but kicked.

JP3 was a decent film that if filled in with extra scenes could become a good one.

8. The_Skywalker

May 23, 2001
    Thrawn

I'm not talking about how they didn't attack Grant and co. I'm talking about how they ran because they thought another pack was coming. They shouldn't have scared so easily. I liked how they weren't relentless.

9. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    I thought the Raptors were at their peak again in JP3, especially after coming across as slow (both mentally and physically) in TLW. The cool scene in the long grass aside, what was with Malcolm and gang outrunning the Raptors and Malcolm's daughter knocking out a Raptor with a gymnastics move?

I also like how the filmmakers "humanized" the Raptors. They're motivated by things like hunger and trying to get their eggs back, not just cold-blooded hatred of all humans. The filmmakers wisely avoided making this another "Jaws the Revenge". In my opinion, the final confrontation with the Raptors works because Grant is able to "make peace" with both the Raptors and his demons (Grant's attitude towards the Raptors is quite ambivalent - he's the world's leading authority on them, but is haunted by his experiences at Jurassic Park). However, the film never truly reached climax because the audience was expecting the main villain, the Spinosaur, to meet his comeuppance. Instead, the Spinosaur lives to fight another day, and we get a denouement where we marvel at the beauty of the same Pteranodons that tried to peck our heroes to death earlier!

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti... Shaak Ti monkey!"

10. Citizen-of-Naboo

Citizen-of-Naboo Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2001
    Actually, the Spinasaurs was much larger than the T-Rex. However, the only complete set of bones for Spiny was bombed in World War II. It had been about 60 feet long. The T-Rex was about 35 at the max. The JP3 spiny was only 45 feet long. This fact was mentioned many time in the "behind the scenes" videos and information on the JP3 website. They even have a a size chart of all the dinos in the movie, even the ones in it for about 5 seconds. Also, most experts think that the T-Rex was not a hunter, but a scavanger, while Spiny was an activer hunter. It might not be true (how can we see how a dead animal acted from their bones?) I liked JP3 more than TLW. But nothing beats JP1.

11. The_Skywalker

May 23, 2001
    Citizen:

Can you tell me where that size chart is?

12. Citizen-of-Naboo

Citizen-of-Naboo Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2001
    It was at the JP3 site, but now I can't find it... I'm searching the fan sites for it...

13. Hydralisk

Hydralisk Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2000
    T. rex 35ft. maximum? "Sue" the Tyrannosaurus rex from South Dakota was around 42ft. long and both Keith Rigby and Jack Horner have found T.rex skeletons that they describe as 15-21% larger than Sue. Spinosaurus was a very long animal but is also thought to be a very light animal for it's size. It was must likely piscivorous.

14. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    In the end it doesn't matter if the Spinosaur was technically larger than a T-Rex or simply longer. The JP movies are primarily adventure films and they sometimes take liberties with the science. For example, the Dilophosaur was given frills, an ability to spit venom, and a skull-shape it did not have, and in his novel "The Lost World" Crichton gave the Carnotaurus chameleonic powers! I know a Pteranodon probably wouldn't or couldn't carry away a young boy to feed its infants, but if you're making an action film about dinosaurs, how could you pass such a scene up?

The fact is we don't really know how big the largest Spinosaurs or T-Rexes could get. New fossil finds are always challenging old theories. We also don't know if the Spinosaur's crocodile-like jaws were just for eating fish or also for larger prey. Still, the JP films are light years ahead of those old B-movies where the dinosaurs were simply lizards and crocodiles with fake fins and horns attached to them.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "See! Even Ewan McGregor thinks 'Attack of the Clones' sucks!"

15. Hydralisk

Jun 29, 2000
    I still don't think ole' Croc-Jaw would stand a chance against a Tyrannosaur (rex or battar).

16. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    What about Torosis?

17. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    What about Torosis?

18. Hydralisk

Jun 29, 2000
    Tyrannosaurus torosus was named in 1970 but was later found to be a specimen of a new genus, thus Daspletosaurus torosus. Though not a tyrannosaurus, it is a tyrannosaurid. By the way, D. torosus would take down a spino as well ;)

19. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    I finally saw JP3 a few days ago. I liked the film itself, it is perhaps the best big budget B-movie of the summer. But anyhow, I wasn't that impressed by ILM's work here. It certainly wasn't a huge improvement over the last two JP films, and in some instances, I thought it was a lesser effort.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Upping, to prevent re-autolocking.

21. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I have to agree that Jurassic Park 3 was great. The only thing that I didn't like about the movie was that it was too short then the others. Pt.1 and 2 were like 2 hours and this one was just an hour and 30min, which I wished it had been longer. Another thing I didn't like was that the T-Rex got killed.

22. Wise-Master

Wise-Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    I think that this thread should also have the discussion of JP4.

The movie is already in the works.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    From the initial post;

> This thread is devoted to discussing JP3 (or any of the JP movies if you wish).

So take it away, JP4 discussion...

24. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I hope Harrison Ford is in the next movie.

He would be great in a JP film :D :D :D

As for JP3 it is my Favorite.

Mainly because it gets right into the action and their is not to many sceen before they go to the island.

25. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I like JP3 but still my least favorite of the 3. Some of the stuff was just too convenient especially the end. On the other hand I like the Lost World more than most people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.