main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to Jurrasic Park! (The JP3 discussion thread)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jedi_Tin-Buk_Tu, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Jurassic Park is frightening in the dark...all the dinosaurs are running wild...

The thing about JP3 is that it was pieced together from deleted scenes from the first two books, so it was like watching the deleted scenes on a DVD with a plot interwoven. Entertaining, but nothing super spectacular IMO.

2. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I really do not like JP3 these days. Though I enjoyed it the first time, it quickly got old. What a thin, simplistic plot with not to much intelligence to boot. Nothing but a actioner with very little brain power. It was better than TLW, but that doesn't say much! I gave away my DVD after realizing that I was never going to watch this movie again. It is a shame that when the newness wore off, there was absolutely nothing substantial left to keep my interest in any shape, form, or fashion! I'll stick to the first one.

From IGN.com:

"Propmaker Tells of Jurassic Park IV Progress
    Spielberg is going back to Crichton's source material for the fourth dinosaur romp.

April 14, 2003 - In the new edition of Boxoffice Magazine, prop and make-up guru Stan Winston reveals that he's already working with Steven Spielberg on the next Jurassic Park. And while the third installment proved that a mindless dinosaur actioner could still haul in the big bucks, the fourth may return to the original's more intelligent roots.

Winston's jam-packed résumé includes special make-up work on such films as AI and the Terminator series, and creature design work on the Jurassic Park and Predator series ? just to name a few. Winston has already had several brainstorming sessions with Spielberg on Jurassic Park IV.

"Even though it's pretty early in the piece, things are moving forward very nicely. We're into the design phase here at the studio. Our drawings and concepts get submitted to Steven, who makes changes or corrections if he wants to...There is no official director yet, but yeah, it is going ahead slowly but surely".

When asked what to expect in terms of the storyline, Winston replied that many new dinosaurs would be featured in the fourth film, but that some "old favorites" would make their appearances as well.

What's more, Spielberg has gone back to Crichton's original novel for material. "There are ... several previously unfilmed scenes from Michael Crichton's novels which Steven is looking to adapt, plus a whole bunch of really creative new stuff". Past reports have suggested that Jurassic Park IV might be set 12 years after the original, with dinosaurs having spread to the Costa Rican mainland. There's a strong chance that both Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum will sign on.

Thanks to Dark Horizons for the alert.
    -- Paul Davidson"

Though I refuse to get my hopes up for any further JP offerings, I admit that I am somewhat intrigued by these early comments that there may be some actual intelligence returning to this fourth film. We'll see!

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  4. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    That was really hilarious, but I honestly don't think that I have anything to contribute to the thread, seeing that I cannot actually remember the plot outline good enough to make fun of it!

5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Bet you're wishing you never gave away that DVD now, huh? :p

6. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    I don't know, afterall I would have to subject myself to the movie again in order to proceed! 8-}

7. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Hmmm I had a chuckle after reading Stan Winston being referred to as a "propmaker".

Anyway the problem for me about JP3 is particularly the ending, which just seems to rushed and out of the blue. Yeah sure Ellie is married to a guy from the State Dept. but from that to getting the Marines just in time by next morning? At least the Lost World had the characters using their ingenuity to save the day.

8. Gilrod

Gilrod Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 26, 2003
    Hey Everyone, JURASSIC PARK turns 10 years old today. Hey!

9. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Man talk about making me feel old.

It's amazing how much have VFX grown in a mere decade.

10. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    [damn timeouts, repeat post deleted]

11. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
  12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The Rex would've taken that Spinosaur out, IMO. Just my personal preference. :)

I got the DVD of the first film today. Gonna watch it soon enough.

13. DarthStothe

DarthStothe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    I'm gonna go a little off topic and tell my take on the movies:

JP - Very good movie! Enjoyable! Pretty much faithful to the book (it can't be EXACTLY the same)

TLW - Uh oh. GAH! What to say?! Keopp (I think thats who wrote the screenplay) was given a book practically written as a script for him and he messed with it WAY too much! It's a whole different story! Now, neither he nor Speilberg are bad at their jobs, but man that went straight downhill! And Speilberg just HAD to have the dino come to the U.S. Again, Speilberg is my favorite director (along with GL), but he went wayyy off course. Please... read the book.

JP3 - Better than TLW. I put it down though, by extension. I mean, come on! I seriously think the whole dinosaur thing should have been kept secret. But, it was ok. Some things got wayyy too unbelievable (the phone ringing through the stomache AND surviving digestive fluids! Come on! We're not complete idiots! It should have made TLW a dream or something.

JP4 - Make TLW and JP3 dreams! PLEASE! And nobody knows about the dinosaurs!

For some fan scripts, check out simplyscripts.com

I believe they have three or more fan JP scripts including: JP4: Warpath/ JP5: Outbreak/ and JP4: Dawn of Extinction (I think thats the names, haven't read them yet... I'll get around to it.)

14. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Make TLW and JP III a dream ? ?[face_plain]
    That would kinda **** ...
    It's like watching an episode of Dallas ...

I like all movies.
    Jurassic Park was my main interest before Star Wars ...

15. DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0

DARTH_VADER_AND_C3P0 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2003
    :D I almost got to see JP3. :D

16. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I don't know. I personally have mixed feelings on JP3. I think that in some ways it was cool. Yet as many have already stated, it proved to be so much like the other two. With the account of many parts from the first two books included into this film.

17. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Hey fellow Jurassic Park fans go here for a possible JP4 scoop http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9725358&page=11

18. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Thanks! :D I will do so immediately!

19. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well here's the scoop. I posted this over on the Jurassic Park thread over in the Amphitheatre but I decided to post it here as well.

Possible Spoilers!

I found this on http://www.rottentomatoes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=dd0a35aee9c47ab4e308b302f53b71c3&threadid=252203 and they say they got it from
    www.darkhorizons.com

Jurassic Park IV: The first rumoured synopsis of the dino flick is up at the IMDb and here's a copy - be sceptical folks: "65 million years ago, a terrible disease plauged the Earth which brought about the extinction of the dinosaurs. In the early eighties, when InGen cloned the dinosaurs, they also brought this disease back with them and it has been present ever since before Jurassic Park (thus explaining the sick Triceratops and Brachiosaur). Now this disease has become fully active in the dinosaurs and they're all getting very ill. When dinosaur carcasses start washing up on the shore of Costa Rica, a team (including Alan Grant) is called out to find out what's going on. They head to the islands to study the dinosaurs and find out about the disease, known as DX. They also discover the disease is transferable to humans and could possibly bring on our own extinction".

Sounds great. JP4 is expected to come out in summer 2005 probably before or after Indy 4.

20. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    I think Keira Knightly on a magazine or something like Jay Leno (sorry too hamered to remember) said that she was being considered by Spielberg for one of 2 possible roles in JP4.

21. Chickadee

Chickadee Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 2003
    I've been interested in dinosaurs for over ten years and love the JP movies, mostly because of dinos.

My opinion of the JP movies:

JP: One of my favourite movies of all times.

TLW: Horrible plot with lots of holes. And I still can't watch some scenes, like the doghouse hanging out of T. rex's mouth, or Eddie being ripped in half.

JP3: Dinosaurs didn't look like before and some of them were uuugly (Ankylosaurus, Brachiosaurus). The movie never was scary. But at least Sam Neill was in it!

On the one hand, I want to see more dino movies, but on the other hand it seems like sequels are always crap; it's hard to decide whether I'm glad or unhappy about the JP4. But when it comes, I will surely go and see it even if it is bad.

22. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    I did honestly enjoy JP3, though it seemed odd to me that, after having already done two films, the ugliest dino effects shot came in the latter half of JP3... You know the shot after the kid tells Grant that Billy was right, and the Brachiosaur looks down at them? It looks like Claymation.

I agree that TLW was the worst of the three... ironically, I still thought it was one of those rare cases where the movie was better than the book.

And I hope Goldblum doesn't sign on to JP4. JP3 said it best when they referred to Chaos-boy as being high on himself. ;)

23. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    The Lost World is light years better than Jurassic Park 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.