main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to MuggleCast! (Updated 1/24: Episode 24)(Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWan506, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    This thread has been created to house discussion related to recent MuggleCast episodes.

For those unfamiliar with MuggleCast, it's a branch off of MuggleNet.com. The exact link is here. You can download it straight from the Internet or you can subscribe (for free) to it using the Podcast option in iTunes.

This broadcast is a weekly radio show and is roughly an hour long. It contains in-depth discussion and theories based around the six Harry Potter books as well as rumors/theories regarding the 7th, and final, book.

The current episode was released 2 days ago and contains many different explanations and theories around some of the more complex and less understandable themes and events of Harry Potter.

Listen in and then discuss away!

This week's MuggleCast Summary (1/24):

- Ciaran guest hosts
    - Andrew occassionally sounds like a robot because of a glitch with his mic
    - We got the scoop on John Noe's first days in his college dorm
    - Main Topic: Rubeus Hagrid
    - Why does he have a love for magical and usually dangerous creatures?
    - We discuss his training as a wizard
    - What happened with Hagrid the night of Voldemort's demise?
    - Where's the motorcycle?
    - How much does Hagrid know about Tom Riddle?
    - We explore his parentage and his relationship with Grawp
    - Why has JKR kept him alive and what role will he play in Book 7?
    - Will he survive Book 7?
    - Where did he go after his expulsion from school?
    - How much does Hagrid know about the grounds at Hogwarts?
    - Has Robbie Coltrane done a good job portraying everyone's favorite half-giant?
    - What does being the Keeper of the Keys actually mean?
    - Can Hagrid become Headmaster or is it more likely he'll end up Head of Gryffindor?
    - Is Ginny a Horcrux?
    - Did fake Moody's foe glass show us something important?
    - Did Snape use Occlumency on the Astronomy Tower?
    - Dueling Club: Arthur vs. Lucius and Hermione vs. Ginny
    - Interview with Luna Lovegood hopeful who made it to the 2nd round
    - Ciaran's Irish Joke of the Day
    - Next week's discussion: Ron Weasley

Discuss below!

2. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    wow this is pretty cool!

3. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Yes, I thought so too. They update episodes so fast that it's hard to keep up with them. I had a few points to make, but I left my iPod at home so I've already forgotten what they've talked about in the recent episode.

I'll be back to post some discussion points later.

4. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Jeez, not everyone post at once or anything. :p

Okay, a few discussion points that I got from the most recent episode, Episode 22. They are actually questions sent in by listeners and I wanted to present them here so that we ourselves can discuss them.

<li>Will Harry have to kill before confronting Voldemort? Will he have to kill Death Eaters? Is Harry ready (or does he have the will) to kill? So far, as far as dueling goes, we've only really seen him use "Expelliarmus" and nothing more. Is Harry ready for the tough spells and dueling/killing others?

<li>Are the Marauder's Map creators dying in backwards order from the way they are listed on the map? It is listed as Moody, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs ... so is the map a symbolism of the order in which they will die?

Discussion away. Go!

5. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I dont know if harry will have to kill...
    it seems very likely, especially in the case of the Snake...does that count??

I am sure soemone, or a few has to die, for peace to be made...
    But will the DADA members or Phoenix members do some of the killing.

I mean, will this book be Harry and Ron and Hermoine off on their own, or will they go back to hogwarts, and stuff...
    (i think its a bit of both)

I think that harry will be ready to kill voldemort when the time comes, i felt at the end of 5 and especially 6, he is ready to KILL voldemort and belle, and now snape..

But will he kil someone he should trust?? thats what i wonder...
    I do not think it will be a rambo esq blood bath by harry///
    if there is a lot of death, it will be passed around..Neville, order, ron ect...

ALso, as far as the Mauraders Map goes...I think its a col coincidence, but nothing more.
    I would love to have it be some kind of symbolism, but why would it happen? who wrote the map? why would their listing of names be related to death...
    As for now, its a great theory, but without any evidence, beyond cooincidence, i dont see much with this one

6. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    So far Harry has lacked the will to kill. Biggest example that I can think of is in PoA where he chose not to kill Wormtail. However in Book 6, he seems to become more determined. He wants to kill Voldemort, Snape and Bellatrix.

So will Harry have to kill to get to Voldemort? I think so. Does he have the will? The anger inside him has been building and I think he's ready to take the next step.

7. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    A new episode is up this week. Topics addressed:

8. Is Dumbledore really dead? A case to the contrary made at Dumbledore is Not Dead.

9. What was the significance of the Phoenix at his funeral? What happened to his wand? Would you want Dumbledore to be alive or appear as a ghost in book 7?

10. What is the nature of a Patronus?

11. Did Dumbledore leave something to Harry that will help him in his quest to find and destroy the last of the Horcruxes?

12. It's been said that Rowling kills off characters when they have served their purpose. Has Dumbledore served his purpose, or does he still have something more to teach Harry?

13. What is Dumbledore's history? His full name is Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (information from The Harry Potter Lexicon. What's up with "Brian"?

14. What might Voldemort/Tom Riddle have become had he never received his Hogwarts letter or been contacted by Dumbledore?

15. Is Malfoy destined to die? If so, at whose hand? Either way, will we see him last as a Death Eater, or a member of the Order of the Phoenix?

16. If all the Death Eaters had Dark Marks on their left arms, how is it that it was difficult to distinguish the identities of true Death Eaters, and how was Sirius taken for a Death Eater when he had no such mark?

17. Are Dumbledore's frequent allusions to things worse than death, and even his almost uncharacteristic declaration that "merely killing [Tom] would not satisfy me" in the Ministry of Magic, a form of foreshadowing to Voldemort's final fate, and/or Harry's?

18. Duelling Club: pitting two characters from the Potterverse against each other in a duel of wits and wizardry. Who would emerge victorious?

This week's duel: 16-year-old Snape (aka the Half-Blood Prince) vs. 16-year-old Harry (aka the Boy Who Lived).

Discuss! [face_devil]

M. Scott

19. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I'll tackle these two points:

Since you have to have an extremely happy memory to conjure it, it's something that comes from deep within your heart. So since it is conjured from so deep within your heart, it takes the shape of something that is also deep within your heart. Harry, even though he didn't know his dad could transform into a stag, still had a stag represent his Patronus. Why? Again, since the Patronus is conjured deep within Harry's heart, there's probably stuff in there even he doesn't know about. His memories of his dad and of his mom are the faint impressions on his heart, and that's what comes to life with the Patronus. Same with everyone else using a Patronus. It conjures the things that left a lasting impression on the person conjuring, and those faint impression are what come to light.

I think so. Before Book 6, I wouldn't have cared. I would've assumed that he would die from doing something stupid, or evil. But now, ever since Book 6, I get the impression that he's starting to shy away from the evil that he is destined to become. His father and mother are both Death Eaters, so it's sort of the family business. But I think he's starting to realize what that means and doesn't like it. I truly believe he dies doing something to help Harry. In this final book, I think some of Harry's enemies become his friends. It's almost time for the final battle, and everyone needs to start picking sides now.

20. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
  21. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Podcast updated. Discuss.

M. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.