main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to Silent Hill

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Walken, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    So the film is done, will be out on April 21st, and this looks like it will be the best film adaptation of a video game to date. Combining elements from both Silent Hill 1 and 2, this surely is a promising piece of work.

[image=http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/article/694/694761/christophe-gans-20060310021545536-000.jpg]

Here now is a news article on the film from Fangoria:

http://img211.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=shfang1of53yp.jpg

Also, this clip from the film was shown at a recent convention (a little blurry), but it includes Pyramid Head:

http://rapidshare.de/files/14812664/MVI_1291.avi.ff.avi.html

All I can say is that I'm excited.

2. Jeedai_Veila

Jeedai_Veila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    Man, I can't wait for this movie! I'm a huge fan of the games, and so is the director, which is great news for any videogame movie. In fact, in a recent Fangoria article, Gans said that Tristar loved the initial screening and they don't want him to cut anything from the movie! Oh, and the guy who posted the video is a fellow Silent Hill forum member Savral. He got to meet the actresses and they are all really excited about this film! :D

3. Walken

Walken Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2004
    Yeah I was lurking the forums there for the vid and read the article.

4. Jeedai_Veila

Jan 15, 2006
    You should join! There is always new content being posted there. Did you see the new posters of Pyramid Head and the Nurses? Man, they are so cool!

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i asked my friend what Silent Hill is about and he says basically a zombie movie. but what's the story line for it? is it another story like Resident Evil or what? *avoids stones*

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I wouldn't call it a zombie movie. The best thing is either play or watch someone to play at least the first or second game and you'll see that there is far more to it than zombie-like creatures. If the film is as creepy and as scary as the first couple of games were, it should be awesome.

7. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I bought the first game and played it as soon as I could after hearing this movie was being made.

Love it, granted it makes me a little freaked of hospitals and I hate the mutant teddybears from the school level, but it is great.

As for the story of the film:

Young mother Rose (Radha Mitchell) takes her troubled and ill daughter Sharon (Jodelle Ferland) to Silent Hill, a town that the daughter cannot stop thinking about. Sharon dispears after they seemingly run over a shadowy figure on the road into town. Now Rose must face monsters both human and inhuman in her search for her daughter where she is aided by policewoman Cybil Bennet (Laurie Holden). Meanwhile Rose's husband Christopher (Sean Bean) attempts to find them and discover what is going on.

That help?

I really am looking forward to this film, though I don't think they should have added Pyramid Head, he's a huge factor in a completely different game in the series. Also why change the gender of the central protagonist? just have Harry Mason as it is in the game. If they do it well then I won't mind, but it was worth wondering about.

Another thing I find confusing is that on many sites the names of the parents are Rose and Christopher Da Silva, but on IMDB it's Rose and Harry Mason, Harry Mason being the prtagonist of the game. Has the studio changed it to make it more like the game, or have IMDB got their info wrong?

8. Jeedai_Veila

Jan 15, 2006
    Okay basically, Gans decided to change the gender of Harry because, well, if you think about it, Harry was very feminine in the first game, and the character just would not have transitioned well to the big screen at all. Also, the husband's name is Christopher, not Harry, so there is no Harry anywhere in the movie.

Silent Hill is NOT a shoot em' up about zombies. It is about a town corrupted by evil that brings people there, from which they never return. People encounter monsters in Silent Hill, but in reality, the real monsters are the people. What I mean is, the monsters all basically wander around aimlessly and pitifully, and then scream in pain when you hit or shoot them, after which you stomp the life out of them, making it very uncomfortable for the player, and thus adding to the scare factor. It's not glorifying killing the monsters in any way because you feel so strange doing it. Silent Hill is about isolation and lonliness, which there will be a chunk of the film where Rose is literally alone in the nightmare version of Silent Hill. Also, in the Silent Hill games, things don't just pop out at you for scares. You have this lingering fear that something is there, but because of either the thick fog, or dark corridors, you don't know what to expect. In resident evil, you simply destroy what scares you (the monsters popping out), but in silent hill, you are running from monsters a lot of the time. I hope this explanation helps, and I highly recommend playing the games to see what Silent Hill is all about before seeing the movie, because you will appreciate the underlying themes of the movie much better and not to mention, the games are really terrifying!

About Pyramid Head, I think he does belong in the movie because as you could tell from that painting in SH2, he is a part of the town's history as an executioner, so he is tormenting the people who hurt Alessa in the movie. If you don't know who pyramid head is, I HIGHLY recommend you play Silent Hill 2, it's my favorite game of all time! :D

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I wonder if they are going to keep the radio that gets staticy when something bad is coming close.

10. Jeedai_Veila

Jan 15, 2006
    I think they might have changed it to a cell phone because she has one around her neck in some of the pics :p

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    that works for me..

12. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    I just hope the Pyramid Head scenes don't induce laughter from the audience.

I also hope the horror scenes aren't all shakey came and crappy techno music.

13. petetbfilms1

petetbfilms1 Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2002
    I hope it's creepy and fun. Sadly the audience may be turned off by yet another "child missing" story. I think this has been discussed before so I won't go into it. I hope to see it or a must rent at least for the production values.

14. Jeedai_Veila

Jan 15, 2006
    Yeah, I hope the audience doesn't assume things about this movie without even seeing it. If anything, this movie is different from other horror films. Has anyone else seen the Wondercon footage? A guy from Silent Hill forum posted it there, and you get to see Pyramid Head in all his glory!

15. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I HAVE to play ther games in the three weeks that are upcoming......GAH I want to play teh first teo. This movie, I saw the final trailer in front of V for Vendetta and it was just amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.