main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sac, CA Welcome to the 24 hours a day StarBucks!!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Lord_Darth_Vader, Mar 25, 2002.

1. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I hope everyone had a fun Halloween, I sure did! It was a blast opening the door in my TK armor to all the unsuspecting kids coming to our door, its not every day that a Stormtrooper opens the door on you! So much fun! Even had one family tell me they enjoy coming to our house each year to see the SW pumpkins!

Anyway, I love the 80's theme idea for the holiday party, but I have to throw my vote for a non-Xanadu holiday party, sorry Tara! However, I just took some inventory over some of the 80's movies in our DVD collection to submit as possible replacements! In no particular order, here we go folks!

Better Off Dead (Hilarious Folks!)
    License to Drive, Dream a Little Dream and the Lost Boys (2 Corey's action)
    Christmas Vacation
    Spaceballs
    (we all should own this, right?!)
    Flash Gordon (FLASH, AHHHHH!!!)
    Grease 2 (call me crazy, but in my opinion way better than the original; c'mon Michelle Pfeiffer singing "Cool Rider" and who could forget the "Score Tonight" number at the bowling alley, classic!)
    Witness
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Pretty in Pink
    Some Kind of Wonderful
    The Karate Kid 1 -4
    Top Gun
    Footloose
    (Everybody cut, everybody cut!)

Anyway, some food for thought for the group to mull over.

~DZ

2. TaintedJedi

TaintedJedi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay someone else posted... random question:

Does anyone else think the voice on Cad Bane has changed? Not that it's a new actor - all voices point to no on that one - but I swear he went from western gunslinger drawl to more nemodian sounding... which is even more confusing since he's a Duro, not a Nemodian. Course they're kinda similar species.

-TJ

3. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    Yes, we definitely need more life in the boards!

As for Cad Bane, I don't think he's changed too much, he's always had a bit of an accent in his speech, though sometimes it does come out more in some episodes than others. Still not as noticeable than the way the battle droids voices changed from TPM to ROTS! I'm more used to the sound of their voices now because of the show, but I remember when I first saw ROTS I was thinking what the heck happened to their voices, why do they sound like robotic Elmos!

Ok, so I gotta say season 3 is not as strong as the last 2. I really liked the "Assassin" episode with Ahsoka protecting Padme from Aurra Sing, hey any episode with Aurra in it is awesome! But, I'm still kind of peev'd that they continue to make Mandalore a planet of wussy folk! The two episodes that they have had on Mandalore were both boring too. The one with Satine and Padme was like watching TPM without any of the pod racing or lightsaber fights with Darth Maul, all politics and blah. The other one with the cadets was a little better, but still nothing to really sink your teeth into. Who cares about those kids, we will probably never even see them again, bring back DEATHWATCH!!! They also need to stop doing stories about political corruption and get on with the CLONE WARS. I mean its in the title, duh! Anyway, I still love this show, and I like seeing the growth in Ahsoka as she becomes a Jedi, but they really need to get back on the battlefield. Here's a thought though, if they are going to keep delving into the underworld on Coruscant, then how about introducing the Black Sun crime syndicate?!

~DZ

4. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    i swear they got rid of Cad's gunslinger drawl!

5. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    Looks like Ahsoka is getting a new outfit starting this Friday!

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/11/clone-wars-ahsoka-new-look/

No more tube top and mini skirt for Skyguy's little padawan. Pretty interesting article too, while Lucasfilm says they were not changing her look because of negative reviews of it, I would bet that reason did play some part in the decision to change it after the season already started! I never really had an issue with it, didn't think it was overly sexual or any such nonsense, just something she wore. However, I can see the other side of the coin where parents may be upset and the comparison to how all the male Jedi dressed. While not all female Jedi dressed proactively, Bultar Swain, Shaak Ti (pre-Force Unleashed), Luminara Unduli and Barris Offee come to mind as wearing traditional Jedi robes, Ahsoka's outfit was certainly leaning towards the scantily clad side like Aayla Secura's. I mean in a time of war you would think that all of the Jedi would be issued, I don't know, Jedi uniforms that would afford them some protection without restricting their movements. Who ever heard of going into battle with a bare midriff? It seems that only Anakin and Obi-Wan wear armor with Mace Windu occasionally donning the shoulder armor but mostly settling like all the other male Jedi to just wear the gauntlets. In any event, its nice to see some new outfits, Jedi got to wash clothes like everyone else. Though I can already see all the new figures coming down the pipe, there goes my wallet!

Thoughts from the group, or at least TJ since we are the only ones engaging in discussions lately! ;)

~DZ

6. Jedidoria

Jedidoria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2006
    Sorry, I've been so bad about posting. Thanks for trying to keep up discussions, DZ!

I think the change in her clothing is interesting...it did strike me when Ahsoka was first introduced that her clothing was a bit sparse, but as a very young girl, I felt it was probably appropriate for the demographic they were reaching out to. Now that she has a little age/experience behind her, I think the wardrobe change is appropriate. It's cute, too, so I don't think it'll alienate the little girls that like her.

Overall, though, I think this kind of crap gets blown way out of proportion. If she was acting in a suggestive manner while dressed scantily, then I think the issue would need to be addressed, but that is NOT the way she is presented. The fuss about her clothing only does more to overly sexualize her...I am SURE that was not the intention of the animators.

We're such a fussy society anymore, aren't we?

7. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    Hey Guys (and Gals),

For those of you who have HBO, Carrie Fishers "Wishful Drinking" show is on tonight at 9:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT. I saw this show in Berkeley when it was running and it is so funny! If you missed seeing it then, here's your chance!

Wishful Drinking on HBO

Also, for those that were interested (per discussion at the party last night), Rob Zombie is playing the Senator theater in Chico on Wednesday Feb 9th at 8PM! Tickets are $35 and I believe its all General Admission!

Rob Zombie in Chico!!!

~DZ

8. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I like the new costume. I also think it's cool that, at least in the publicity still shown above, that they're trying to address Ashoka aging during the course of the series. She seems to be slightly more adult proportioned/longer body and limbs... head isn't quite as "big" comparatively now...

9. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    I agree that the issue with her original outfit was blown way out of proportion, more of folks seeing fire when there was hardly any smoke. I also think that the wardrobe change is appropriate because the character is maturing and growing up as an accomplished warrior. Not sure about all the arm bands, don't seem to serve any functionality or purpose and would be a pain in the butt to put on, but hey they look cool!

Speaking of Ahsoka growing up, anyone catch this preview for season 3 yet? Ahsoka with Sith eyes and then attacking Anakin at the end! SWEET!!! It also has the Duel of the Fates music from TPM which is probably the best piece of SW music since the Imperial March and Opening Titles! Enjoy.

The Clone Wars Season 3 Second Half Sneak Peek!

~DZ

10. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    That was the most uninspiring, tepid "Nooooo!" I think I've ever heard. Even by Star Wars standards.

Also: I really wish Episode III had never been made now... well, let me rephrase that:

I wish Episode III hadn't been made yet.

....because I <3 Clone Wars, and what it's doing with the property... even we all know what happens. And it happens in such a mediocre way.

-TJ

11. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    It looks really good. I'm with you DZ...since Duel is playing in the background, it makes it look even BETTER!

12. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    That trailer got me psyched for the 2nd half of season 3, the Trandoshans, Saesee Tiin FINALLY getting some air time (enough Plo Koon already Filoni), Ahsoka looking more bad ass along with the fight against Anakin, not to mention Savage Opress (though not in this trailer)!!! So I can look past the goofy "Noooooo", the guy that looks like Quan Chi from Mortal Kombat and the whatever that is/was that flew away from Obi-Wan and Ahsoka (please no vampire species Twilight tie in)! Overall, with the lack of excitement from the last episodes of this year (excluding seeing Vos on the screen, right Myke) this preview looks to bring the audience back into the action of the war taking place during the duh Clone Wars! Remember animators, its called the "Clone Wars" not the "Senate Debates oh and there is like a war going on or something too"! No more political episodes, I'll watch c-span for that stuff.

Ok, Tron discussion time, if you haven't seen it you may not want to read this:

So, its been a few days now, thoughts on Tron Legacy? Viki and I saw it on IMAX in 3D last weekend and while we both thought it was visually beautiful with top notch special effects and a killer Daft Punk soundtrack, the story was kind of weak. I wasn't sure how Quorra got out of the Grid into the real world. I mean I get someone from our world being digitized and sent to the grid (though wouldn't their physical form remain, but lets go with the premise from the 1st Tron that their physical form goes completely with them into the Grid along with their consciousness), but how can something that really doesn't have a physical form outside of the grid exist in the real world? If something is a digital form like Clu and Quorra, then how can it go from digital to a solid if no previous solid existed for it? Wouldn't it need a vessel of some kind to be implanted into? So if that is true, then Clu's plan is not really valid and there is no threat right?! Ok, the geek gauntlet is thrown for those that liked the story, have at thee as Thor says!

~DZ

13. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Quorra was an ISO - the last of her kind. Remember how Flynn Sr. jumped into her "coding" and fixed it? That looked a lot like DNA... maybe ISOs have organic data already "stored" inside them... and if the laser is really transmuting "real" people from flesh to code and back, then it would stand to reason that it could do it as long as there was a DNA/Organic "pattern" on file...

At least, that's what my old roomie suggested.

-TJ

14. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    Eh. I liked it enough. It WAS pretty to watch, but I found it dragging along in a couple of spots...Chris liked it a lot more than I did, but he's more attached to the story than I am. It certainly was better than say...Clash of the Titans...but not as good as....uh, were there any good movies this year????? I mean REALLY good???...

Welcome 2011.

15. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    Inception. Predators. The Karate Kid. The Expendables.

Those were the films I generally enjoyed very much and/or thought they were well made and thought provoking/emotionally resonant. I could also list...

Kick Ass. Avatar: Special Edition. Despicable Me. Iron Man 2. Machete. Knight & Day. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World....

For the following reasons:

1.) Nick Cage is lit on fire and dies. Horribly.

2.) The extras, and some of the extended scenes (in particular on the Blu Ray) were interesting and perhaps more interesting then watching the movie a second time.

3.) Passable family fare, and I'm a sucker for superhero/villain spoofs.

4.) Scratched some particular nerdy itches.

5.) Gratuitous and obnoxious.

6.) See the second adjective above.

7.) See number 5, but add in incredibly nerdy.

Any questions? ;)

-TJ

16. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    Speaks to my lame life, I guess, but the only movies I saw on your list were Avatar (which I didn't hate...but hardly thought was GREAT) and Iron Man 2 (same critique). I got Chris The Expendables for Christmas so I guess we'll need to watch that soon.

(I LOVE your comment about Nic Cage...I hates him too...so kudos to that movie!)

17. TaintedJedi

Mar 2, 2004
    I would be happy to bring over Inception, Predators, and others to watch with you guys if you want me to sometime... I'll just need to bring the PS3 since they're on bluray. ;)

-TJ

P.S. I would hardly call your life lame. You have a great guy and wonderful kids and go places and do things... i sit at home and fill the void in my black, hate stained soul with cheap consumer swill. ;P

18. Jedidoria

Jun 21, 2006
    We'd love to have you come over with any of those movies. That'd be cool. Blue-ray, huh? Must be nice! We still have our tv with the built in VCR. :( You youngsters and your new fangled gadgets. Can't hardly keep up with the technology!

19. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    Ok, so I have a bone to pick with Katie Lucas and her writing for the CW, specifically the baskstory on Assajj Ventress in the "Nightsisters" episode from last week. So Assajj was born to the Nightsisters, then forced to be given up as a young child to some "Braniac" guy, not sure what his connection was to the Nightsisters. Anyway, he gets killed right (not sure if it was by the WeeQuay and Niktos attacking or by the Jedi), then she becomes the padawan of said Jedi. Her Jedi "Master" gets killed, and then she goes bad becoming an assassin to ultimately team up with Dooku when he's looking for an assassin?!

Some of the plot holes I'm seeing that are not clearly explained in that episode are: Who was the mysterious "Brainiac" guy and why were the Nightsisters forced to just hand Assaj over to him? Did the Jedi kill him, or was it the Weequay/Niktos that were attacking that the Jedi was killing? Why did she go "evil" after her Jedi Master was killed? I mean, wasn't he teaching her the lightside of the Force for quite a few years? Or is this some "Darkness" in the child all along thing that resurfaces after he's killed?!

Also, part of her origin to me sounds partly like a backwards origin rip off from Aurra Sing! Was a padawan for the Dark Lady, got snatched by pirates thinking the Dark Lady sold her into slavery, eventually escapes the pirates and goes into bounty hunting, specifically to hunt and kill Jedi who she thinks is responsible for all the hardship and abuse she suffered at the hands of the pirates.

Aurra has a clear path towards hating the Jedi since she blames them for all of the wrongs in her young life. Assajj's path seems to me that she should have continued towards being a Jedi since the Jedi "Master" began to train her and her training was cut short only when he was killed. Wouldn't the council know of her existence as that Jedi's padawan and go pick her up and assign her to another "Master"? I mean, with all of the order in the Jedi, I find it hard to believe that Jedi would just pick up stray Force sensitive kids from all across the galaxy and not inform the council. Also, when Assajj was "killed" in the ship explosion, wouldn't Dooku, a Sith Master sense this and not need to be informed by a droid scan?! C'mon!!! Holes!

So far I like the new episodes and I'm looking forward to seeing "Darth Maul 2" Savage Opress in this weeks episode, especially since he's voiced by Clancy Brown! Just had a bone to pick about the backstory for Assajj, since it seemed as if Katie Lucas was just trying rip from Aurra Sings beginnings and doesn't clearly fill in the plot holes of her writing, unless they will be addressed in the next 2 episodes of this 3 part arc.

~DZ

20. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    Ok, so "Monster" the 2nd part on this 3 part arc was good, introduced Savage Opress to us finally and how he was chosen by the Night Sisters and beefed up to what was transported to Dooku. The one thing that bugged me with this episode though was that when Assajj goes to the "colony" of male zabraks to choose some candidates for the replacement assassin, all of the zabraks in the camp all have Sith tattoos similar to Darth Maul. I mean those are tattoos, and in the case of Maul Darth Sidious gave them to him he wasn't born with them. I think the animators shouldn't have included that, its a little too desperate to say "hey look kids Darth Mauls people, see!". It could easily be explained that when the Nightsisters did their magic steroids dance that one of the side effects was the inclusion of the tattoos. But not a terribly big issue. Looking forward to Fridays conclusion of this story arc and to see how it goes with Assajj, Dooku ,Savage and the Nightsisters.

Oh yeah, my new fav song!

Geek and Gamer Girls!!!

The "Lara Croft" girl is Seth Greens wife. Shiny!

~DZ

21. Bith_Lord

Bith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    I took Max to see Episode 4 on the big screen in Livermore last week. He didnt make it to the end... hell neither did I the first time I saw it in 77.

Speaking of 77, THAT was the version they showed. Very cool.

He has really got me jazzed about star wars again which I was feeling fading from my high interest zone.

22. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    I liked the "Witches Of The Mist" episode that was the final part of the 3 part Savage Opress story arc. I enjoyed seeing Ventress and Savage try and take down Dooku, and even though I know it was all futile given that Anakin eventually decapitates Dooku in ROTS, I did find myself rooting for Assajj to get in one good shot to take down the count. I thought the inclusion of Obi-Wan and Anakin in the episode was needless, just seemed to take away from the story of Assajj, Savage and Dooku. Though I totally dug seeing the Republic Commandos, I hope they come out with some commando episodes in the future and maybe some episodes with Saesee Tin! C'mon Filoni, bring in Tin and stop with the Plo!

Bith, that is totally cool about seeing the original print of ANH on the big screen with your boy! I have been slowly introducing my brothers kids to SW and this past Xmas I watched a little ESB with my little 2yr old niece and nephew who both got a kick out of their Uncle Mike talking like Yoda to them!

~DZ

23. Quinlan_Vos_1

Quinlan_Vos_1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2007
    visually those episodes were awesome! But, I agree w/ you DarthZemog, lots of plot holes. In the comics, her (human)parents are killed by Rattakki fighters. A particular Shark Headed guy becomes her nemesis & that's when Ky Narec crash lands onto the planet. Ky finds Assaj & rescues her then goes on to train her. Months later (& no word from Ky, the council assumes he perished), same Shark-head guy makes another attack w/ a full army eventually overpowering Master Narec. From there is when she get introduced in the Micro series(& why she has a Blue & Green Lightsabers). In the Obsession series, it ends w/ Dooku betraying her, she survives & wakes up in a republic medical transport, & uses "mind sway" trick to have pilots take to end of the galaxy.

They could have gone w/ the idea that she goes back to Dathomir & remold her backstory. Looks like we'll have to wait till the series is over for them to make a consecutive timeline, cause they are all the board for the 3 years that make up the Clone Wars.

Gonna get a list together for upcoming events, for those outside of the general Sac area, send me info for what events you want included in the thread.
    Not: my home pc is officially dead. can only get on here through wk since it wont let me log on through my I phone.

Vos

24. DarthZemog

Jan 11, 2002
    Hey Vos,

That sucks about your home comp, but glad to see you posting on the boards again! We need more regular posters here. Anyway, the Sac Con in March, I think its March 6th looks pretty good, and I believe that SW.com artist Tom Hodges will be at too. Perhaps we can have a table at it?!

Oh yeah, prepare to have your minds blown with this clip from the upcoming Indian Sci-fi flick called "Enthiran" or "the Robot" in English. I can't even begin to describe how fantastic this movie looks, it just tops itself in each scene of this 9 minute clip! Its so over the top, its fantastic! Enjoy.

The Robot Clip 2

~DZ

25. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Not sure what put it into my head, but this evening I thought "I wonder if my friends at the SVRF are still around? I wonder if they even remember me?"
    The really amazing thing is, after being away from these boards for what feels like decades, I still remembered my username and password!

I am glad to see some friends still around and some new people as well. As for me, I am living in the Bay Area with my boyfriend of 2.5 years and loving it. Hope you all are doing just as well.

Just wanted to drop by to say hi and that I was thinking of you all. :)