main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the Amphitheatre - Everyone Read

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Lord Bane, May 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999

[b][color=black][hl=yellow]Welcome to the Amphitheatre![/hl][/b][/color][hr]

[hl=lavender][b][color=navy]I. An Introduction to the Amphitheatre[/color][/b][/hl]

Here we have the next step in the continuing life of the Jedi Council and its ever-growing and diverse community. This forum is a new thing for the JC, a forum dedicated to serious discussion, debate as well as sharing of all things "arts & culture," from musical expression to the written word, artistic expression to cinema.

[b][color=midnightblue]First off, how does this forum differ from JC Community or the Senate Floor?[/b][/color][blockquote]This is to be a [i]discussion[/i] forum like the Senate Floor, but not a social forum. JC Community will remain as it is now, nothing's changing over there. However, this forum is designed specifically to harbor in-depth discussions, of a more serious nature, which can sometimes be lost in the huge environment that JC Community is. We felt it best to offer a place where serious discussions could prosper.[/blockquote][b][color=midnightblue]What kind of discussions are allowed?[/b][/color][blockquote]That is a bit of a difficult question. What constitues arts and culture? To some, only things like theater, art and literature may be included. Others see film and television, dance and modern music as a part. We will have to learn as this forum grows. The main areas of focus right now include [i]film, poetry & prose, theater, artistic expression, dance, music both classic and modern.[/i] That is not to say other topics cannot be discussed. That is a sample, starting point. Culture and the arts are ever-changing and we must respond to that.
    [/blockquote][b][color=midnightblue]Are any of the rules different?[/b][/color][blockquote]The rules aren't different, but the consequences of breaking them are. As with the Senate Floor, its success depends on a mature environment, and it is critical that the rules be followed and observed at all times.

It is imperative that the rules be followed for this forum to achieve its purpose. Infractions will be dealt with swiftly and sternly. If you're not sure if what you're about to post will be OK, do NOT post it. Seek the advice of a moderator via PM.

[b]Flaming, trolling, antagonizing, spamming, being abusive, threatening, or being problematic will not be tolerated in the slightest.[/b] Not only that, but should you be found causing trouble, you'll find that the spanks and bans will be much lengthier in duration, and quite possibly, your access to this board will be prohibited.[/blockquote][hl=lavender][b][color=navy]II. The Rules and Regulations[/color][/b][/hl]

Something to Consider: Everyone has a different view, a new perspective when it comes to arts and culture. No two people think exactly alike. We have polarizing opinions, but try your best to keep hostility out of the conversation, out of the discussions. If you don't think, for example, rap is legitimate music, [b]do not[/b] rail on those who do, but approach the subject as a reasonable individual who respects other users, even if there is a vast differing of opinion.

All administrative decisions regarding whether or not a post is inappropriate in nature or in tone are left to the moderators' discretion. If any moderator deems a post offensive, antagonistic, or generally unacceptable or inappropriate, he or she will remove the post.

[b]The Moderators are under no obligation to explain the removal, and it is completely their call[/b]. This can't be stressed enough: [u]posting to this forum requires a sense of personal responsibility, and great awareness of the spirit of the forums.[/u] Please do not ruin this forum for others. We must be respectful if not always in agreement. Continued administrative action will result in a moratorium on your ability to post in this forum.

We are taking a '[b]no-nonsense[/b]' approach to this. A 'zero-tolerance for nonsense' policy is essentially how you should think of this forum.

[i][b][color=midnightblue]Moderating questions?[/b][/color] PM [link=http://b

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Good work. It drives the point home that this is a sister forum to The Senate Floor, not JC Community.

3. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    A very thought-out and well-worded opening post. I feel a certain sense of pride seeing this forum up and running. :)

Let's hope it's a success.

4. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    The main areas of focus right now include film, poetry & prose, theater, artistic expression, dance, music both classic and modern. That is not to say other topics cannot be discussed. That is a sample, starting point

So TV doesnt really come into it? If I wanted to discuss the "reality" TV revolution, or the MASH phenomenon, it wouldnt be the right use of the forum?

5. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    The areas of focus will grow. I assure you of that.

Good notice. It needed to be strong and to the point.

I too feel rather proud that this is getting the go ahead!

6. Spiderdevil

Spiderdevil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    If I wanted to discuss the "reality" TV revolution, or the MASH phenomenon, it wouldnt be the right use of the forum?

As far as I'm concerned, those topics would be allowed. I don't see any reason why in-depth, serious discussion of television shows should not be permitted. We're mainly trying to avoid topics like "Wow! Smallville sure is cool!" Basic discussion like that belongs in the JCC.

7. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    That's pretty much the gist when it comes to TV. Serious looks at it would be allowed, but we have to reign in the people who want to just yammer on about their favorite TV show, its stars and basically treat this place like a water cooler. That isn't the idea.

8. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I've just started the first discussion thread of the new forum :D

I've always wanted to do that... :)

9. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Ahhh, so, is this place successful?

10. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Jury is still out.

And I just fixed up the first post to fix some of the codes.

11. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    I PMed Lord Bane a little while ago to see if he agrees that we should open this up now and make the announcement, to see how it goes. Right now, it's not really going anywhere.

12. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    We've been bickering: Me and Gandolf (mainly) vs. DL and Mr. P over how to proceed. I say we bit the bullet and open shop.

13. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    First Reg Member Post, do the happy dance

[image=http://greetings.yahoo.com/g/image/us/yahoo/dance.gif]

¤Night

14. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

i am incredibly excited for this new forum! thank you all very much!!

15. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    damn, i wanted to be first, :(

:)

16. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    You forgot to list the Forum Moderators in that post, it looks like there is a place for it, but someone forgot to put it in the post...

17. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    We don't have a dedicated mod to the forum yet. The amount of traffic will decide whether we get one sooner rather than later.

I've edited the post accordingly.

18. Grand_Muff_Diver

Grand_Muff_Diver Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2002
  19. Darth_Tyrannous

Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    This is a great idea for a forum. Great idea. Thanks.

Darth_Tyrannous The canadian signature and Sacramento Kings signature, still the #1 team in my mind

20. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    my mind boggles

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm thrilled and like Spiderdevil, I feel a bit of pride since I think I contributed something to helping get this across. :)

As usual, you guys have just done something incredibly cool just as I'm leaving. But rest assured, I will return and I will set up shop here and you will here my opinions. :D

Brace yourselves . . . :p

22. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    What about comics? I'm not talking like what Superman did in the last issue or whatever, I mean deep, classic stuff, like The Watchmen, Preacher, etc, or in-depth discussion of the Batman mythos and it's place in our culture, is that stuff elegible for this board?

[image=http://www.swmcmmj.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/nerd.gif]

23. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    *does happy happy dance*
    It is done :D

Awesome work, Lord Bane, btw :)

24. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks to everyone who put their hard work into the creation of this forum! I think many of us now have a new playground, myself included. :)

And a special thanks to our wonderful mod, Lord Bane, who just wouldn't let this thing die. ;)

Mel

25. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Hmm... I think for the first few weeks, there will be a bit of "trial and error" in terms of starting threads. I'm sure we'll see topics get locked in here and then sent over to the JCC (and vice versa), but I think that's par for the course when people deal with new boards.

Good job all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.