main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to The Arena!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ObiWan506, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Welcome to the newest addition of the Jedi Council Forums. We are very pleased to present to you a new place where sports discussion can thrive; a place where you're invited to talk about anything and everything sports related. This is the place. Enjoy yourself. This forum is going to be full of casual banter and in-depth analysis. You get the best of both worlds. You can discuss any sport you want from any angle you want. It's a pleasure to be a part of this new growth within the JC and I hope we can all make the best of it. Let's have some fun.

Moderators and users alike will continue to learn from this forum as it grows. We did not want to put a limit on what types of threads can and cannot be created. Both an index and a rules thread will be created based on how this forum grows. We'll develop rules and guidelines based on the parameters this forum evolves into. For the moment, there is no set forum rules besides the '3 threads a day' rule. Because we're a new forum, we do need a limit on thread creation. Identical to the JCC rule, each user can create up to three threads each day, however that is the limit. Obviously basic ToS applies; don't flame your fellow JCer, don't post anything inappropriate, and most importantly, if you're a fan of Everton, you cannot post here. Please leave now. :p

Seriously, let's have some fun and get the sports discussion going.

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    oooooh shiny new forum!

*picks at it with crow's beak*

Great job to all parties involved! :)

edit: oh, and bookmarked. :)

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    *Walks in to see the new forum*

Looks great!

5. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    It's great to see this place finally open! :D

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    WHOOP!! Great job mods and admins!! Also great job to whoever made the banner!

**Runs fingers across the smooth new surface**

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So here we are! We've seen this through from conception to birth. This whole process has been the JC at its very best!

And what a fabulous forum The Arena is. =D=

8. BarryBonds25

BarryBonds25 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2003
    So, how many OTHER people will recognize this as the latin quotation from Everton's crest?

9. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Congrats and good job to everyone that got this thing going. =D=

Now mods, lock all the new threads as redundant. :p

10. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    [Borat] Very very nice! [/Borat]

Seriously though, great job guys. I love it! :cool:

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I love the place. So glad to see it up and running and the enjoyment everyone's having. :)

12. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Me likey! :D Awesome job guys.

13. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    Sweeeeet!

Great work everyone!

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    How many pages do you think the forum will need to grow to, before we start referencing certain threads, like "Official Team threads" for instance. I know the forum hasn't been around long enough yet for it to be a problem, but sooner or later people are going to start making some redundant threads, and some of these threads that have been created, should be official threads. That's my opinion of course.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Example:

If I create an 'Everton Discussion Thread' (I'm actually not going to), and then someone else blindly creates another 'Everton Discussion Thread', then that's redundant. However if I create a 'Mikel Arteta scores a wonder goal Thread' (Arteta, as I'm sure you will know, is an Everton player) then that would not be redundant. It could go in the 'Everton Discussion Thread', but I'd prefer to shout it from the rooftops in it's own thread.

What I'm getting at is an Official Thread tends to suck stuff towards them. My own personal preference is to only lock threads that are redundant because they are exact duplicates, and not because the content of a newer thread could slot into an existing one. If something amazing happens (Arteta did score a wonder goal yesterday) then I should be free to give it it's own thread. Obviously if someone started creating a thread for every little thing that happens to a team, or a player, then that's abuse of the system, and teh clamp down would be required (this is why the mods need to be aware of the ins and outs of many different sports) because then the user is spamming the board.

16. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Oh yeah, I get what you are saying. I'm not saying to blindly give an "Official thread" title to just any thread, because I agree with you that it would maybe discourage the more specific event/news story type threads.

I was just talking about avoiding a bunch of generic "Team discussion, and banter threads" based on the same team, especially if the original one has existed for a significant amount of time, and has a large number post. I'd just like to avoid having to restart a thread like that, that has already thrived, just because it may have slipped down a few extra pages.

I'm not suggesting that any throwaway threads, of which I'm sure there'll be many, be indexed. Just like maybe the social thread, and team threads that actually discuss gameday, and local events, as opposed to say a current news story on a particular player who just happens to be on a particular team.

Regardless, I realize I'm looking waaaaay down the road on the topic, I was really just wondering as a hypothetical.

17. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    An index is already being created and the team threads that have already been created are logged and saved in the rough draft of the Index. We're not going to lose those and they will be part of the Index when the Index is completed. We're not going to have to restart any team threads that have already been - or will be - created.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes established threads should be respected.

19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    All riiiiight! :D It's finally here! :D And it looks awesome, kudos to everyone who helped to create this forum! :)

20. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Question, actually 2 of them.

1) Will the wrestling thread in the YJCC be moved here?

2) Would this forum be interested in a draft? I have been tossing around the idea of a Wrestling draft, and after tweeking the rules of the other sucessful drafts I found that it would be very easy to do. If so I can do the commish job, all we would need is 3 dedicated regular posters to be judges.

21. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    1) Only new threads will be made here. We will not be moving any threads into this forum. All the existing threads will remain in their own forums.

2) That's a good idea that we can discuss a little bit more when the forum becomes more organized.

:)

22. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Sounds good, on both accounts. Maybe after the holidays we can revisit the draft idea, life is hectic now as it is so it would probably be more workable in a month or so when things calm down a bit and this forum has had a chance to settle in.

23. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Agreed. :)

24. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    My only complaint about the forum is the lack of a Poof quote on the sidebar of the banner. Otherwise...topnotch. ;)

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    There's definitely a Poof quote there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.