Welcome to the Fan Sites forum.

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by Kadue, Dec 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Welcome everyone to the new forum dedicated to talk about fan sites, and issues on how to run them. :)

This forum is here so that you can discuss issues that you've encountered while trying to get a site up and running, ask for help with any technical problems you might be having, share any tips and tricks that you've found along the way, gather ideas and help for creation of new site, and many more.

In relation to artwork, we have a Fan Art forum where people can post their artwork for discussion and improvement. If you would like to get some tips off people about a specific image, you might want to ask in there, but if you are after help regarding the overall look of a page and the images within, please start a topic right here for discussion.

At the moment you'll find any one of a few moderators wandering around this forum, so please feel free to ask any of us any questions you have, or bring concerns to us.

MaxVeers, Rox, and YodaJeff.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here. :)
  2. dArTh_wenley Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Thankyou very much for this. :)

Good idea! :D
  3. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'll probably be wandering around here every now and then too, but don't quote me on that.
  4. Obi_Wan_01 Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, I have been meaning to make a Star Wars web page for a very long time, but never had the time to do so. Maybe this summer I can whip up something. :)

... and Thank you very much for this, Kadue.
  5. ami-padme Jedi Master

star 4
    This is a great idea for a forum...thank for setting it up! :D
  6. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I don't really have an opperational Star Wars site anymore, but I have knowledge of html and web hosting, etc. I'll definitely be here a lot to help out :) Might even restart my site, if time allows :)

-sj loves kevin spacey
  7. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    I half finished a site in the Spring and never got around to completing it. If I have some time maybe I'll get going on it again.
  8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I am working on a site right now.
  9. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I have an idea for this forum in few months down the track (or sooner, possibly).

Create a tutorial for the absolute beginner on building their very first (SW) fansite. Pick an easy topic, perhaps some crazy minor character/species from one of the Star Wars movies to make a fansite for.

Go about downloading free HTML editors (absolute beginners are not going to be encouraged by hand coding), free graphics editors, and sign up on a free host.

Build the site week by week - nothing fancy, your standard homepage, info, gallery, links or whatever. Discuss navigation, backgrounds, colour schemes.

But as it's being built, detail the steps & processes in an accompanying "project" thread here.

Once it's built you could then discuss site promotion via links, webrings, search engines etc.

Just a thought...
  10. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    jp, that's a great idea. I think I'll try it if I find the time.
  11. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I agree with jp on the issue. Sounds like a cool idea. I am about to start my own Star Wars theme site, so a progression thread for it will definately be in the works.
  12. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've got to make a SQL based PHP-powered page to display categories and such, would anyone be interested if I did a tutorial in that?

¤Night
  13. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Cool! Great idea, Kadue! :D

I know I'll be around here a lot helping AND asking for help!
  14. WormieSaber Force Ghost

star 5
    Cheers to the one who had the idea for this forum! :D My SW site needs a serious upgrade.

I've come accustomed to asking questions in the fanfilms forum, which has been a tremendous help and has influenced me to make more films. Kudos! I'll be stopping by this forum often. :)

I must say, TFN is surely the greatest forum on the net....

15. 0p3c Jedi Padawan

just would like everyone to check out my new site. It needs some work. i was wondering if anyone would liek to help out in any way.
  16. 0p3c Jedi Padawan

Edit: Please use the advertising thread thanks.
  17. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    this is awesome :D this board is definitly going up under my favorites.
  18. JediDBM Jedi Master

star 2
    Any suggestions for a homepage, would like to do more with my homepage, but am just a little computer illiterate, if anybody would be willing to offer any help, send me a PM please?
  19. Bladecarver Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would like permission to start a topic regarding an online RPG. And would like to do so without getting my rear end handed to me. Can you advise where to do so?
  20. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    There is a forum for RPing, located here.
  21. Bladecarver Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes, I know, but someone chewed on me. See this thread - http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10346851&replies=0

I wasn't actually trying to advertise because it is free and no one is charged to play. I would like to get some people to check out this site, but I don't want to hack anyone off. If I am breaking any rules, let me know, and I will stop.
  22. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Advertsing is not allowed anywhere here except in your signature.
  23. jedi-mind-trick VIP

star 5
    I love the idea of the different tutorials. I hope folks find the time to do this, as I think it would be a fantastic resource! :D
  24. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I just unstickied this thread, and updated it a little bit.
  25. Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.