main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!***

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Vertical, Oct 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been superceded by Welcome to the Forums :: NEW MEMBERS PLEASE READ.

Some of the information in this thread is out of date, so please refer to the other thread to post questions, etc.

The Official Welcome Thread
    ==============================================
    Welcome to TheForce.Net?s Episode II/III (Spoilers Allowed) forum!

Here in this forum, you?ll find a wealth of knowledge regarding the upcoming prequels, and a host of characters and other members to share your discussions with.

If you?re new here, or to online forums in general, give yourself a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of these forums. I?ve taken some time to paraphrase some of the more useful posts regarding how to find your way around here at first. So give them a glance, and take them to heart and you?ll have nothing to worry about, and you?ll be enjoying the forums like an old pro in no time!

I know it?s long, but it?s worth it, trust me!

========================================

So you wanna be a valued member?

What does it take to become a key player here in the Episode II/III forum? How do you avoid being called a Newbie? How do you get people to listen to your ideas? What do you do if you?ve got questions or problems?

Well, you?re on the right track if you?re reading this thread. It shows that you?ve got the desire to be a good member, and that?s the essential part of being a valuable member of this community we?ve got going here.

I?m going to outline some common questions, and my version of the answers here. For answers to the following questions:

· What features are available only to registered users?
    · What does each display setting actually do?
    · What do the star icons next to the user name stand for?
    · What happens if I check the ?Notify Of Activity? box?
    · How can I speed up the loading of the main board index?

Check out the FAQ, at http://boards.theforce.net/faq.asp. Those questions are delved into there.

But you?re here for more specific questions, aren?t you? Well, here they are, from the eyes of an admin, and from other contributing members (credits will be listed at the bottom)?.

QUESTION #1: As a new member, what should I do first?

Excellent question! The first thing you should do is: wait! That?s right, it?s a little anti-climactic, sure, but it?s well-worth it, trust me. I know you?ve got all sorts of great ideas that you want to share with the other members of this forum, but you need to give yourself some time to familiarize yourself with the forums, and how things work. Observe for a day or so, if you can. You?ll avoid a hard time if you do this, as you?ll be less likely to make a ?rookie mistake?. Try responding to other threads before you start one of your own.

QUESTION #2: I?ve got a great idea for a thread, can I post it?

That?s what this place is for, to be sure, but you?ll want to take a look around the first 5 pages of topics (Make sure you?re set up to see 25 topics per page! See the FAQ!) before you actually slap your thoughts down. You see, if you post a topic that?s already being discussed, or has been discussed recently (last 4-5 pages), that thread is what we call ?redundant?, and that?s a ?rookie mistake?. Your thread will probably be bombarded with posts declaring its redundancy, and you?re going to have a hard time getting discussion going. Not to mention, whoever started the other thread on the subject won?t appreciate the fact that you didn?t take the time to check out their thread.

QUESTION #3: I?ve checked the last 5 pages or so, and I don?t see my topic. Can I post it?

Absolutely! We?re dying to hear your new thoughts! If it?s not on the first 5 pages, it?s fair game, even if it?s been discussed a while ago. We?re always looking for a new perspective! Now, remember to give your thread a good, informative title. For tips on what makes a good title, and what will draw people into your thr

2. Mort

Mort Jedi Master star 4

Aug 25, 2000

//Applause

Here's an edited version of the link to the admins that works and you don't have to cut and paste:

http://boards.theforce.net/user_search.asp?searchaction=search&search_is_moderator=1

3. Mandrell

Mandrell Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2000
    That's a nice piece of work Vert. You should be commended for such an effort to introduce new members to the EPII/EPII SA. Considering that this forum is probably the forum with the most traffic at the JC. Something such as has been needed for a while now, and it's good to see that you have dealt with the problem and produced this introduction.

Bravo man, bravo.

4. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I'll keep this near the top, I have my own secret method :)

(Please note: if a response or two disappears, this has to do with my method of keeping this thread at the top)

Vertical

5. PowerfulJedi

PowerfulJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2000
    Very good job indeed Vert. You need to be commended.

6. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    Very much needed, Vert. :) Good job.

7. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Very nice thread, Vert. Keep up the good work!

8. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    Ooh... I know Vert's "secret method" for keeping it at the top. I think. (I'm guessing here but maybe it's the same method I once suggested but never used.)

Anyway... this was much-needed. THANK YOU VERT. You rule.

9. yodasdad1

yodasdad1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2000
    I would guess that only 2 out of 10 newbies would've read vertical's post.

*sigh*

10. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    perhaps yodas dad, but if we can reach just those 2 newbies, hasn't it all been worthwhile?

11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Great thread! Long over due! Vertical thank you.

12. SEMOJEDI

SEMOJEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2000
    I'm a newbie, and I've read it (There is one...) Thanks for the nice summary Vertical.

13. BEN_LARS

BEN_LARS Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2000
    I'm a "newbie" and I appreciate the info.

Thanks.

14. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    ---
    Try responding to other threads before you start one of your own.
    ---

This should be one of your main points, Vert. Damn I wish we had bold text back. :)

Feel free to delete this if you need more space. :)

15. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    Though I am a Volunteer fan, I will have to say that Vertical has done a wonderful job presenting an outline for new users (SEC reference). However, I would like to add a few more points. I am not brand-new, but my time here is short in TFN years. I will add a few things I've noticed. This is just a little advice coming from an old newbie (I'm close to outgrowing my newbie status, but I don't want to grow up):

No matter how original your idea, someone has already stated it in a previous post. And, they'll be quick to direct you to their thread. Don't take it personally.

Before sharing your theory with the rest of us, be sure that it is NOTHING LIKE anything that has ever happened in one of the EU (that stands for Expanded Universe) novels. Otherwise your theory will be disregarded based on source, rather than merit. Don't take it personally.

If your theory about the new movie IS based on EU material, you musn't post it in this forum. You will be directed to the Literature forum; but they just want to talk about the books, so it really won't be welcome there either. I haven't really figured out what to do then.

This may be your first experience with internet forums in gereral (as it was mine). If that is the case, you will run across certain abbreviations that won't make sense. Example: LOL, IMHO, WTF, and SI. These letters actually mean something. If you don't know what they mean, talk to someone who does and PM me the answers, please (PM means private message, I think).

Don't be frightened by all the stars of some of the members. Sometimes people speak a lot, but never really say anything. You'll see.

This is the most important thing to remember: Chyren is always right. Sarcasm in not intended here (otherwise, I would have used one of those neat letter things). Watch him carefully. He knows things....

16. Darth Klown

Darth Klown Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2000
    Good job.

Though I think that number 7 is a little hazy....not to sound like whiner or anything, but this isnt always done fairly. I dont want to point fingers at anyone just to say that if this is the rule, then please enforce it fairly, no matter who the memeber is (be it someone who has been here forever or a mod/admin).

again, nice job

Patrick

17. Darth Sebious

Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 21, 2000
    Yeah, I think I see how Vert will keep this at the top...we won't need any "Up" posts, the admins can keep it up.

18. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    Thank you Vert; where were you when I came here? Creating this, of course.

Chyren is very knowledgeable; he is human, he is not always right.

Any problems, go to Admin, they are here to help all of us.

19. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    He may not always be right, but his logic is always sound.

20. kristof

kristof Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I think this a great idea for people new to this forum although I would like to clarify just one thing. On the subject of Chyren I would like to know exactly who has the power to ban people here. I would hope that I would never let myself get into this situation although I did challenge Chyren once when he was threateneing to have a rather opinionated person banned. He replied that he didn't have the power to do this only admins, although I have since seen him say the same thing over and over again.

I also agree that number 7 is a bit hazy, some of the vets here seem to have a lot more leeway in what they say than say a 'newbie'.

21. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    It is true that admins are the only ones who can ban a user. However, certain people that post here have demonstrated over time that they are committed to this community and its purpose. Their opinions are respected and generally they are liked. These users may be extended a little more latitude than the rest of us, when it comes to indiscretions. It is not dissimilar to any other social construct.

22. kristof

kristof Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Like I said, kinda hazy then.

23. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    Yellow Pages:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=567689

(Sorry, Vert; I've only just seen this thread. Nice work.)

24. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Here's a link to the Jedi Council handbook, which has some useful info in it:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=401799&replies=113

Vertical

25. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I'd also like to open this up to a sort of Question and Answer session/format.

If anyone (anyone!) has any questions, post them here, or PM me with them, and I will post the answer (and if you PM'ed me, I'll post the question) here. This way I can cover any questions that I may not have thought of.

Vertical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.