main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!***

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Vertical, Oct 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    This list of "banned users" is not public, and is only available in the Admin control panel. I believe that there is a discussion going on in the Communications forum right now regarding making that list public.

Vertical

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    You know if you think about. It makes sense to have it public. If someone was banned and they hadn't recived something through pm. They could go look at the list and see why.

3. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    kind of an embarrisment to add to the punishment? Probably would actually help. BTW Vert, love the thread it's very needed, if you could make new users read this before they could post the days would be alot easier.

What's this brown stuff on my nose?

4. Shar Kida

Shar Kida Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Uhm, Vertical: (SK) stands for ...? ;)

Link to IronParrot's thread: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=975278

Re publicising banning list:

I do not know if you could really call it a discussion, Vertical, although it _is_ a good idea. The idea was floored about halfway down this page:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=991526&page=11

Kida

5. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Ha! I didn't notice that you had added that last part, Shar, my bad! Yes, that last paragraph or so up there goes to Shar Kida! :) Sorry about that!

While I agree that it may actually be a good idea, if there's to be discussion on it, it should go on in the Communications forum. Either follow the link that Shar provided (thanks!), or start a new thread specifically regarding the issue.

Thanks!
    Vertical

6. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

Not re credit, just a heads-up that that last paragraph had not come directly from an administrator: just an observer -- and should be taken accordingly.

Kida

7. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    True, but I consider your input on these matters pretty solid advice :)

Vertical

8. Shar Kida

Jul 28, 1999
    Ol'val.

No more solid than that of most others, Vertical.

Some updates which I added well after the edit window, and so are buried on p.2 of the YP behind some essays, and which I repost here, buried on page ... hmmm.

1. The Gatherer is now an administrator (Literature). Contact information:
    e-mail starwarsfan77@hotmail.com
    ICQ 36274314
    http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=233338

2. Identified Snowboard bugs
    [Most of this wording comes from Réka, as does the collection thread]

With the change of software from UBB to Snowboard came quite a few bugs, which are slowly being identified and fixed. Should you encounter a bug not on this list, please post it to http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=659746 .

? The Next/Previous Topic links don't work. Ok, so they do take you to another topic, but it sure ain't the "next" one in any sense of the word.

? Spaces in links: if you put more than one link in a post, or if your links are fairly long, Snowboard will arbitrarily put spaces into them, which of course makes them somewhat useless as links.

NOTE: one way around this one is that if you post two or more links in a row, leave a space and period after each link. This largely nullifies the problem.

? Sometimes Snowboard will also create arbitrary spaces in text. I [SK] have yet to find a way around these, although sometimes editing and retyping that particular selection works.

? Sometimes, when you edit your post, the subject line gets truncated or cut off, most often at a punctuation mark contained within the original subject line (commas, periods, colons, and quotation marks are particularly notorious for this). It is always possible to re-edit and cut-and-paste the original subject line back in.

? Any adjustment to profile automatically fills in the "optional" country code as the default "United States". The country can be changed afterwards, but the field is never optional again.

? Once you hit the "Notify Of Activity" button, you can't turn it off, no matter how many times you post and don't turn it to yes.

NOTE: "Notify of Activity" is rarely recommended (especially for threads here or in the JCC), as it has the potential to swamp the chosen messaging system _very_ quickly.

? Private Messages don't work for some members, or they only work if you hop on one foot and say the alphabet backwards. ;) This appears to be related to Netscape (rather than IE) use.

NOTE: IE PM glitches can usually be solved simply by refreshing. Netscape will give the message:
    - Netscape is unable to locate the server pm_send.asp.
    - Please check the server name and try again.
    To get around this bug and send a message, click on the user's name, then replace "user.asp" in the location bar with "pm_send.asp".

? Someone posts a topic. It ends up as a double-posted thread - except for this difference: one thread only has the title, but not the body text (thus it is marked "nt"), and the other has the body text intact.

? For those with more than one username, logging out to change usernames on the "Post A Reply" screen returns you to the "Post A New Topic" screen instead. This can (and has) caused members to accidentally post new topics instead of answering to the original thread. (Including me [SK]: I seem to have been among the last to discover this particular bug.)

? For those with more than one username, logging off to change usernames mid thread which is to be replied to can cause the reply post to temporarily show up on the other name's record.

? New Thread "Allow Replies" option which seems to imply an ability to lock threads, even though experience tells us that no such ability exists. This is made even more mysterious by the relevant FAQ paragraph, which you are taken to if you click "help" next to the "allow replies" box.

? Ditto for the wording in the FAQ.

NOTE: the administrators currently have no power to lock or move threads. (We hope for this next upgrade ...)

The following bugs seem to have been largely fixed:

? Sometimes, u

9. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Thanks, Shar!

Vertical

10. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    OK, Shar, read this once, but I think I'm going to have to print this out at work (better printer) so I can study it more thoroughly.

Vert--are these things going to be fixed or should I just learn to adapt to its idiosyncracies?

keo

11. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Do you mean the bugs? Well, there's supposed to be an upgrade next week, so we'll see what happens... :)

Vertical

12. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    So, if an admin is not around and we need to ask them something what should we do? Don't need to repsond quickly though. Just trying to keep this on top.

13. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    The best thing you can do is send an email to all of them at jc-admins@theforce.net... or use PM... anything mentioned above. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait for one to see your message.

Vertical

14. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    Vert, I'm a bit fuzzy on your email address, jc-admins@theforce.net. If I send an email to this address, does it automatically go to ALL of you Admins, or just to the jc-admins@theforce.net mailbox, and you Admins individually check the mailbox to see if anyone has emailed in? What is your normal habit, do you check your PMs more often than the mailbox or do you get that magic "You've Got Mail" ding on your computer with the little envelope showing, as well as the little number at the top of new PMs?

15. SithLord123

SithLord123 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2000
    thanks alot i needed that

16. Darth Sebious

Darth Sebious Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 21, 2000
    It goes to all the admins inboxes...sort of like a mailing list. For me it's better than PMs, because it goes to my Outlook Express program which I always have open, but for the others it may be different.

17. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    ok, so one email to the admins mail box hits all 7-8 of you admins at once. am I correct?

18. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Yes, the emails sent to jc-admins@theforce.net is a mailing list, of sorts. Anything sent there will automatically be sent out to every individual admin email account.

Vertical

19. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Okay next question. Which well I don't have one. Except I have a comment I love the colors Vert. they rock. lol I just wanted this on the first page.

20. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    I love this thread. Every forum needs a thread to welcome new members.

~ Hunter ~

21. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    juwannajedi, actually Vertical used a bit of Maulbert's thread when he made this (I help keep Maulbert's thread up coz he doesn't come around often, so I know).

I thought I've posted here before, I sincerely remember having done so, but evidently I haven't, so I'll just like to say that this really is very good work :)

Maulbert would be glad to see this if he were around :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    u probably did post here, but part of Vert's ability to keep this thread at the top invloves deleting posties, so u were probably just another victim. Don't worry, it's all for a good cause. Think of that post as a martyr.

23. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Thanks for keeping this at the top, guys :) I'll take it from here :)

==============================================
    QUESTION:
    Is discussion of drugs allowed in this forum, like, say, in the social thread?

ANSWER:
    Nope. This is a PG forum, and we want to keep it that way. Despite what international laws may apply wherever you are, this site is hosted in the United States, and I'm afraid any discussion of narcotics or anything of that sort is strictly prohibited. If you want to talk about them, there are numerous other message boards around the internet where you can discuss this.

Vertical

24. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Sorry about the upkeep :) I had a busy day at work!

OK, next question:

QUESTION:
    Is it OK if I use edited profanity? Like replacing a vowel or two with an asterisk?

ANSWER:
    Absolutely not. We try to keep it clean, and asterisks don't mask the intentions.

Vertical

25. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    I don't really have a questoin. It's really advice to the oldbies and the newbies. If you have a problem with an admin. pm them or another admin about it. Don't flame them and attack their charector. Something happened I saw today in communications with a post against an admin. Well who I personally think is a good admin. Never been under this admin before. But I do know they'll do a good job and have good judgement. All admins make mistakes. One of my fave admins did here a few weeks ago over a storyboard thread and deleted it. Did we all get mad and be like let's lynch and all that no. Respect the admins. they know what they're doing. Sometimes we may not agree with it but we're just the normal crowd. We just got to learn to accept things the way they are. That's the best way and it will make debating a lot easier.

Also on a note about redudendacy if you are going to post something look on the first three pages before posting your topic. Just to make sure it hasn't been talked about already. If it has include your comments and ideas in that thread not start a new one. Also lets just have fun till Episode 2 comes out. That's what this is all about having fun and discussing Star Wars. Thank you and Good night.

Also post here keep this at the top and read! Every other day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.