main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*** Welcome to the Forums! ***

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Vertical, Dec 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Greetings, everyone! I took most of the body of this message from my previous thread by the same title in the Episode II forum, which can be found here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1049775&replies=201

However, now that there is an official welcome forum, I'm going to post it here, and tweak it for general use. Enjoy!

Here's a link to the Jedi Council handbook, which has some useful info in it:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=401799&replies=113

The Official Welcome Thread
    ==============================================
    Welcome to TheForce.Net?s Star Wars forums!

Here in these forum, you?ll find a wealth of knowledge regarding a whole spectrum of things, including the upcoming prequels, the past Star Wars movies, anything and everything in the Star Wars world, even some things that aren?t, and a host of characters and other members to share your discussions with.

If you?re new here, or to online forums in general, give yourself a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of these forums. I?ve taken some time to paraphrase some of the more useful posts regarding how to find your way around here at first. So give them a glance, and take them to heart and you?ll have nothing to worry about, and you?ll be enjoying the forums like an old pro in no time!

I know it?s long, but it?s worth it, trust me!

========================================

So you wanna be a valued member?

What does it take to become a key player here in the Jedi Council forums? How do you avoid being called a Newbie? How do you get people to listen to your ideas? What do you do if you?ve got questions or problems?

Well, you?re on the right track if you?re reading this thread. It shows that you?ve got the desire to be a good member, and that?s the essential part of being a valuable member of this community we?ve got going here.

I?m going to outline some common questions, and my version of the answers here. For answers to the following questions:

Why am I having problems logging in and staying logged in to the boards?
    What features are available only to registered users?
    What does each display setting actually do?
    What do the star icons next to the user name stand for?
    What happens if I "Subscribe" to a topic?
    What is a "locked" topic?
    How come some user names are highlighted or in different colors? Can I change my colors?
    What happens when I select YES for "post notification" when adding a new user to my watched user list?

Check out the FAQ, at http://boards.theforce.net/faq.asp. Those questions are delved into there.

But you?re here for more specific questions, aren?t you? Well, here they are, from the eyes of an admin (and be aware that I?m only *one* of the admins here, so some things vary from admin to admin), and from other contributing members (credits will be listed at the bottom)?.

QUESTION: As a new member, what should I do first?

ANSWER: Excellent question! The first thing you should do is: wait! That?s right, it?s a little anti-climactic, sure, but it?s well-worth it, trust me. I know you?ve got all sorts of great ideas that you want to share with the other members of this forum, but you need to give yourself some time to familiarize yourself with the forums, and how things work. Observe for a day or so, if you can. You?ll avoid a hard time if you do this, as you?ll be less likely to make a ?rookie mistake?. Try responding to other threads before you start one of your own.

QUESTION: I?ve got a great idea for a thread, can I post it?

ANSWER: That?s what this place is for, to be sure, but you?ll want to take a look around the first 5 pages of topics (Make sure you?re set up to see 25 topics per page! See the FAQ!) before you actually slap your thoughts down. You see, if you post a topic that?s already being discussed, or has been discussed recently (last 4-5 pages), that thread is what we call "redundant", and that?s a ?rookie mistake?. Your thread will probably be bombarded with posts declaring its redundancy, and you?re go

2. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I have a question........what is this Star Wars thing everyone's talking about?

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Great reference post Vertical - lets hope that everyone remembers to re-read it once in a while to refresh their memory! :)

4. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Yes, Yes, Welcome!

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.
    Go Eagles Go!

5. Aunt Jar Jar Mimah

Aunt Jar Jar Mimah Jedi Master star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    [Toshi station whine] Can I be an admin? How do I start a thread? How can I be popular? [/Toshi station whine] ;-)

Welcome everyone!

6. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Welcome everyone :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. JediCrazy

JediCrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    LOL so far the only people that have posted in here have been here for a while. :)

anyways, that was good to read, i wish it was up when i first started here.

Welcome all newcomers!!!

8. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    I hope to see a lot of newbies here. Welcome new people! :)

9. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    I know what you mean, JediCrazy, so I'm here for the new members :)

10. Jan-go-fettch

Jan-go-fettch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2000
  11. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Vertical very impressive my friend very impressive.

12. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    I'm not new, but I do have a question.

A few week ago, I went back to check one of the first threads I authored, "Why does everyone hate Callista?". I found it locked. I'd like to know why it was locked.

Thank you,
    LadyCallie

13. Imperial Politician

Imperial Politician Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 9, 1999
    What would you say to a newbie?

14. Darth 47.1

Darth 47.1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 1999
    Watch out for the newbie-eating old members. ;)

15. LadyCallie

LadyCallie Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2000
    Where are the newbies at?

16. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Methinks this needs a lift.

17. Lady_in_Silver

Lady_in_Silver Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2001
    This helps alot since i'm new here, and you're all so friendly, most other boards people hate newbies. :D

18. Starfox

Starfox Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    Truly a great post - for us newbies to read. Even if long, I suggest every newbie to read it.

I've been using discussion boards ( usually vBulletin ) from October last year, so I'm familiar with the usefulness of it, and I can easily get into discussions, but it takes time to familiarize the meaning of certain forums.

But, to the newbies completely new to the discussion-board ( meaning that they never have been to one ) - this is really fast-paced board, and can be quite 'frightening' - don't be afraid, post and have fun. We've all made and we all will make mistakes :)

19. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
  20. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
  21. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    1/240th of your posts have been in this thraed cbjedi! :eek: !

Thanks Vert, now I know what to do around here...
    *Pulls Anne's hair*
    [face_devil]

22. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    Yup, I guessed that. What are the odds you'd check in here today!?! DO you have a window open to this thraed, and just keep hitting 'refresh', or are we just lucky [face_mischief]

23. sonofskywalker

sonofskywalker Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 1999

Hi, I'm new and a true Luke fan..
    Can't wait to read on here..

Thanks..
    mei

24. Valiowk

Apr 23, 2000
    Don't worry, cbjedi, if you're obsessed with this thread I'm obsessed with a lot of other info threads around. :)

Now for Vert to come along and update this thread!

25. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Then let me do it for you. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.