main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the Western Canada Forum

Discussion in 'Archive: Western Canada Regional Forum' started by CrazyMike, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Welcome to the Western Canada Forum, created July 3rd, 2004. Please take a moment to read this post carefully.

There are three conditions under which this forum has been created:

1) Use it or lose it.

2) Use it responsibly. Members posting here will do their best to make sure that this forum doesn't become a haven for spam posting. If someone posts something here that is inappropriate, the general members should immediately contact CrazyMike to investigate and take whatever moderating action is deemed nescessary.

3) The forum will be up for evaluation, in approximately 30 days. If it is being used as it was intended, then it will remain.

2. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Thank you, Mike, for posting this. :) It's good for everyone to be aware of what's expected of them.

- Rani

3. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Thanks, Mike. :)

4. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    Thanks Mike :)

5. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    [CrazyMike]: "If it is being used as it was intended, then it will remain."

At the risk of sounding completely stupid, exactly what is intended for this forum? And how does it differ from the existing forums?

:confused:

6. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    whew, can of worms, there...

The short version of the explanation is that there aren't enough people in B.C. and the Prairies to keep either of those two general forums active and interesting, so this one has been created on a trial basis so that people living in both areas can socialize together, and be a large enough user base to keep the forum active. Consider it a 30-day experiment in community building.

It isn't closed to anyone living outside of Western Canada, but it is a social hang-out set aside for those living here. We can socialize, we can have discussions, we can make plans, we can even encourage the formation of new chapters if that's what happens, but we cannot spam to excess.

- Rani

7. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Thank you for the answer there Veronica. I will make an evaluation at the of July. There are a great group of people here and I am sure that the membership will
    grow as we approach EPIII.

8. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    My pleasure, Mike, and thanks for the encouragement!

Because we're all conscious of spam here being a major factor in the future existence of this forum, I had a few ideas on how we could all distinguish social threads from spammy threads, as well as keep track of their numbers. I'm not trying to dictate anything, and if people think these are dumb ideas, then they don't have to be used, and I promise my ego won't be crushed (you'll all have to find other ways to do that). :p

Distinguishing types threads:

How about this rule of thumb? If a thread is helping you learn more about another user, it's definately a social thread. If it doesn't do much more than simply up your post count, it's definately spam. If it's a fun thread with specific rules and open to anyone to participate in, it's a game.

Regulating the amounts of types of threads:

YJN once suggested that five social threads in a chapter formation forum was an acceptable number. Well, since this is a social forum, how about we say five active game threads is an adequate limit? Coincidentally, that also happens to work out to one game for each of the FF chapters that is served by this forum (Calgary, Edmonton, Fraser Valley, Vacouver and Victoria).

Currently we have three game threads: Hangman, The 4-Word Story, and the Trivia Challenge, posted by people from Victoria, Vancouver, and Edmonton, respectively. How about we allow another two, perhaps one each from people in Calgary and the Fraser Valley? Sound fair?

When a game fizzles out or comes to an end, the author of that thread should lock it by editing the first post of that thread, and make room for another game.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

9. fingthething

fingthething Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    That sounds fair :)

We just need to get a couple of Calgary and Fraser Valley people to come and post here and we'll be good to go.

10. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    We have one FV person posting in the Hangman game already... :)

*Derisa*

11. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I do not see a problem with having as many social and game threads as you want as long as they are active and on topic. I have always been a proponent of a Cafe social thread which would limit the "hellos" and small talk to that one thread. I myself have been accused of promoting spam by encouraging those sorts of social threads but I feel that it is a very good place to get to know your fellow members especially if you are not in a situation where you can meet them in real life.

12. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I don't really see how social threads can be even remotely construed as spam since the purpose of such threads are to foster friendships and for FF members to get to know each other or to just keep in touch and in the end isn't that entire purpose of FanForce?

...Just my two decicreds :)

13. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    and in the end isn't that entire purpose of FanForce?

I couldn't agree with that whole sentiment more, R_T, but there are some people who are of the opinion that social threads are useless spam that hinder new chapter growth or make places feel unwelcome to newcomers because they appear too "cliquey". They will likely continue to hold that opinion no matter how much we may dispute it, so I felt erring on the side of caution was a good course of action.

That said...

If CrazyMike's the one reviewing this forum after a month, and he has no issue with social threads and games, then I'm relieved to hear it. :)

- Rani

14. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    My point exactly RT and RV. If you take a walk over to
    the collecting forum in the JC forum which I also mod you will see that there are all sorts of collecting related threads and one Cafe thread. It represents a place where people can talk about their life, the news, beefs, etc. Most importantly it is a place to make friends and to get to know each other.

Now before I am accused of spamming this thread I will shut my mouth :)

15. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Now before I am accused of spamming this thread I will shut my mouth

*accuses Mike just for the heck of it*

:p

16. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    That is ok Alex I am being accused of all sorts of things at the moment but fortunately it is not by my beautiful finaceé :)

17. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Not yet anyway Mike ;)

18. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    It has been more than 30 days now and this forum has been doing very well. I must admit that I did not expect to see this amount of activity. As far as I am concerned this forum is now official so congratulations are in order to you all and keep up the good work :)

19. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Thanks Mike!!!!! :D

20. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Yay! Thanks, Mike!

Looks like the telethon we held to raise bribes...er...pledges was enough! :D

21. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
  22. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    wOOt!!!

We should throw a party!

*Derisa*

23. TIEPilot051999

Mar 27, 2002
    Let's all get drunk and play ping-pong! :D!

24. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Let's all watch TIE get drunk and try to play ping pong! :p

25. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    drunk ping-pong is too embarassing. [face_blush] :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.