main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the world of tomorrow..... Oh crap *A Fallout 3 Thread*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSolar, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No doubt the Gauss rifle is good....but what about the Tesla Cannon? It's heavy and cumbersome, but it's just a sick, sick weapon (as long as you don't use it in close quarters that is).

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Absolutely. I only tend to lug it around whenever I know I'm about to venture into a heavily-Enclave-infested area (i.e., where lots of Vertibirds will be dropping in), but the win of this thing cannot be understated.

BOOM. One-hit death.

Also, given the sheer number of abandoned Vertibirds you start seeing in the wilderness (and even one up on the Capitol Building veranda, this one time), why couldn't the designers have given you the opportunity to maybe to some type of bounty-claim sidequests for these -- get paid by the Brotherhood for each Vertibird you secure intact, instead of blowing it to hell?

I know they could damn sure use 'em...

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    never seen the tesla gun. where do you get it??

i tele you what its tough being a melee/unarmed character. you get blasted ten times before you can even reach a raider or a super mutant. i tend to go up levels early in the game to get an advantage early. but having a hige advantage can make it boring. i wonder if i can get myself to play the game straight again.

4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You "get" the Tesla cannon once you D/L the "Broken Steel" expansion and go through the additional quests there, which continue the main storyline after you complete the game's original "ending".

I can't imagine being an exclusively unarmed/melee character; there's simply no way you'd survive long that way, let alone go to toe with some of the game's toughest enemies as you level up.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I tried an unarmed character once. Without stealth it's a death sentence. I would also find that 9/10 I would wind up telling my followers to stay put as they kept fighting before I was ready.

6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    If I were going to do unarmed/melee Anchorage would be the first thing I did. I've had some huge fun doing Point Lookout in the chinese stealth suit and sneak attacking people with an axe.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Chinese Stealth Suit + Deathclaw Gauntlet = Win. Throw in Gordie Ledoux's Hockey Mask and you'll be pretty much unstoppable.

8. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah im spoiled now. i cheat to the highest level

9. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Bethesda Loses Fallout MMO Lawsuit Against Interplay.

I'd like to point a couple things out, here. Mainly that the Interplay that put out the original Fallout games isn't the same one that exists now.

Originally created by Brian Fargo and company, who were in charge when the original Fallout games were published, it was eventually acquired by the Caen Brothers (Herve and Eric) in 2001 through Titus Interactive. When the company ran into financial issues -- something that all of their companies seem to do -- they stopped paying their employees. Backpay was due, studios were left in debt, and no funding was to be found from their parent corporation. To save money, Titus started laying off people by the truckload and eventually killed Black Isle -- probably their major money-maker at that point -- and released a ton of crappy console games based on PC titles in the hopes of making some money back.

Well...crappy games = crappy sales. The company all but vanished at that point, their landlords were left with months of unpaid rent, their studios dropped off the map, and they held a fire sale on their existing IPs. Bethesda picks up the Fallout IP, makes an excellent game, and Interplay tries to ride on the coattails of that victory and money (mostly, the money).

My opinion? The further the current incarnation of Interplay stays the hell away from decent properties, the better it is for the customers. The Caens have proven utterly inept at running game studios, having failed at Titus, and having likewise turned Interplay into the piece of **** it is now. And it makes me wonder just how well the Fallout MMO is going to turn out, in the wake of this decision.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Bethesda can still make a Fallout 4 if they wish though, right?

11. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    According to the terms of their current license, yes, they have the publishing rights to any single-player, offline entry in the franchise. Although the majority of their attention is centered on the development of The Elder Scrolls V at the moment, they've subcontracted out to Obsidian for New Vegas (corrected that bit in my above post...brain-fart, there), but are still handling publishing duties for that one. Which should be a fantastic game.

But it's Interplay we should all be worried about. The other half of that lawsuit was Bethesda's concern over Interplay's release of the "Fallout Trilogy" compilation I've seen everywhere -- concern that average-Joe gamers who'd heard about Bethesda's Fallout 3 would mistakenly buy the Fallout 1/2/Tactics three-pack instead, which is admittedly an awesome deal, for some incredible titles.

It's a double-edged sword. Interplay retains the Steam download-rights for those three, at least for the moment, but it's also definitely a case of them weasel-using the "Fallout Trilogy" moniker to snare people into buying that particular collection (which -- again -- is an awesome collection, no question).

As a longtime Fallout fanboy who wants people to play the earlier games, I'm very supportive of their release, yet at the same time dubious of Interplay's motives, here.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    If the "Fallout" IP was sold to Bethesda, just how exactly can Interplay have any legal say in regards to any future MMO or project with the Fallout name, if the I belongs to Bethesda? Does Interplay have some hold on the IP just because the company originally published the first games? I think the folks at Bethesda failed to read some sort of fine print in the exchange if they allowed themselves to be screwed over like that.

13. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    What happened is (basically) this:

While Bethesda purchased the rights to the entire Fallout franchise from Interplay in 2007 for $5.75 million, Bethesda in turn licensed the rights to make a Fallout MMO back to Interplay. Bethesda's original complaint against Interplay also accused the company of breach of contract in regards to the Fallout MMO.

Bethesda claims that Interplay fell short of its contractual obligations by allegedly not beginning full-scale production of the MMO on time, or raising sufficient funds within an agreed-upon timeframe. Bethesda is now trying to win back the rights of the Fallout MMO, to be produced in-house.

If Bethesda actually wins on appeal, Interplay would lose their rights to produce a Fallout MMO, which may explain why Interplay is currently sticking the MMO with a "Project V13" code name, instead of officially coming out with a "Fallout MMO" branding.

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    CMON FALLOUT 4!!!!!

15. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    I have a question and am hoping that someone can answer it. I let my brother borrow my Fallout 3 about 6 months ago, but am dying to play again. I am thinking of buying the GOTY version and letting him keep my original copy since he hasn't made much progress. If I buy the GOTY version for my xbox will it give me the downloadable content and allow me to play as my original character?

Hell, even if it didn't I wouldn't mind starting over with a new character, but I'm curious. Thanks.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Short answer? YES. The DLC doesn't alter your character except by raising his/her level cap to 30 once you install "Broken Steel". I don't know if the game will continue, though, if you finished the main story quest without installing Broekn Steel. If it doesn't, then you're going to have to start all over, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

17. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Appreciate the heads up. Starting over would still be fun. My first playthrough I didn't focus on stealth and after reading how much people enjoy sneak attacks etc. it would be fun to try it. I also didn't put much in perception so energy weapons weren't my forte.

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Oh, yes -- I'll second that notion. Buy that puppy now. More than worth it.

All of the DLC is included.

19. scnjedi

scnjedi Jedi Knight

Jul 16, 2009
    I'm just gonna point out that many of the Obsidian people working on New Vegas were the original Interplay guys who did Fallouts 1 and 2.

20. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Right, that's what I mentioned above -- that the Interplay that exists today doesn't employ the same designers who made the original Fallouts. Hugely looking forward to Obsidian's efforts, particularly if Chris Avellone is involved in any capacity.

21. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Good advice, guys. I went out and bought the GOTY version on Saturday. It is definately worth it, and hell, my brother now has the original version for free so its a double win.

To answer my own question fully, yes you can continue. The add ons install and you can wander the wastes and finish quests that you left half done.

I have a few other questions if you guys don't mind.

1) After Operation Anchorage the outcasts tell you to go ahead and open the armory and take what you want. After I did the started shooting the hell out of me. I was confused at first, but they said eff it and wasted them. I don't know why that happened. Did I take too much stuff (I was intentionally leaving a lot in there), was it a simple double cross that I missed in dialogue while my buddy was talking to me, or did I take something specific that they wanted?

2) I am stuck on the Head of State quest. I found a picture of Lincoln and brought it back to the slaves. They were pumped and said to meet them at the memorial. I get there and they are nowhere to be found. What happened there?

I finished the main quest as the last, best hope of humanity. That was strange as I actually fluctuated throughout the game to complete opposite ends of the karma spectrum. So I start playing again and I am losing karma left and right. I don't know if its the morally gray nature of the Pitt, or if my moral compass dramtically began to point downward in the six months since I played last. Who cares, I still get XP.

22. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    1. You missed some dialogue. Basically it was a double cross that ended badly for just about everyone but you. :p

2. That quest is known to have some serious bugs. On the PC there is an unofficial patch that pretty much fixes the problems with it but I'm not sure what you can do if you have it on a console system. I suggest you check the official Fallout wiki and see if you can get some pointers there on how to get around the bugs.

23. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Maybe the problem he's having with the Head of State quest is that he fast-travelled to the Lincoln memorial and the free slaves were slowly making their way there on foot, which is why he couldn't find them anywhere when he got there. That's what happened to me the one time I played it. Of course, you have to kill all the slavers inside the memorial before the slaves make their way there; otherwise they'll be in all likelihood slaughtered upon arriving there. I'd try going back there to check things out or load up a save file.

24. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    That was exactly what I did. I fast traveled and ditched them. I tell you, my moral compass must really suck now. I play this game completely differently now, even unintentionally.

I was a bit disappointed by the Pitt. I am from Pittsburgh and was hoping for a bit more, like the ability to go to my place of work. I was convinced you could enter the courthouse, son of a.

Thanks for the help. Have fun in wastes, chillllldren.

25. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    With Head of State, Hannibal and his buddies don't go all the way to the Memorial once you tell them it's clear. They wait just outside the Northwest Mall Metro Station for you to arrive. Fast travel to the Memorial and then head along the left side of the pool back towards the Washington Monument. You should run right into them. Then they'll head into the Memorial once you've met them there. I'm not sure if they can get attacked if left there too long, or something else like that, but they should still be there. You did clear the slavers out beforehand, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.