main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the world of tomorrow..... Oh crap *A Fallout 3 Thread*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSolar, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I just found out the guy who voices Three Dog in this game played some devil dude in an old Halloween-themed Walker: Texas Ranger episode that creeped me out as a kid. Awesome.

2. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    Yeah, I took care of the slavers at the memorial quite a long time ago. I wound up waiting for 24 hours at the memorial and following the compass arrow to find Hannibal and crew. I really wanted the dart gun schematics, so I appreciate the help you guys have given. I am at level 23 now and just got the dart gun. Yeah, I have a lot to learn. That being said, facing deathclaws and reavers without one was quite a challenge. What really sucks is when I get so used to fighting roamers and shotgunning their faces off, then a reaver will come at me and I don't read it carefully enough. I wind up treating them like a roamer, which can be fatal.

Did anyone do the nuka-cola challenge quest, and if so was it worth it? I started, but then quit on it. IIRC, I didn't have the strong back perk then and lugging around like 20lbs of cola was a pain.

I have been using Paradise Falls as a base of operations since about level 8. I stash my stuff in the armory and sleep there. I understand that you can get a house in Megaton, but are there any other places that people have been using? Just curious to see if there are more some that are more easily accessable, meaning without two load screens and perhaps a well rested bonus.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The Nuka Cola Challenge is only worth it if you really want the Achievement, since you can get schematics for the Nuka Grenade elsewhere.

On my first playthrough, I used Tenpenny Tower as my safehouse after nuking Megaton. On the second I used Megaton since it's by far one of the most convenient locations on the map to have as a house.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    You don't have to give them to her all at once. You can drop them off when you pick them up. It depends on how often you want to fast travel back to Girdershade I guess. It becomes easier on future playthroughs when you can start collecting them from the get go, before you get the quest. One time I had enough before I even met her.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Plus, the more schematics you get, the more grenades you get from one build, IIRC.

Nuka Grenades = ownage of that trapped behemoth. Awesome.

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No. Dogmeat > Nuka Grenade against any Behemoth. I'd've loved to had blasted them with the Tesla Cannon, though, had any of them been alive by the time I got ahold of it. :D

7. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Yeah, Dogmeat helps hugely against Behemoths, though that Evergreen Mills one is like a turkey shoot if you do it right. Mini-Nukes are your best friend, there.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The one time I had a Fatman with me when I encountered the one at Evergreen Mills I was horribly out of range for it. By the time I had gotten in range the Behemoth was loose and the mutt was taking it AND the raiders around it, so I ditched the idea of launching more mininukes right then and there. Though it's conceivable the mutt could've killed them all and survived, why let him get all the XP? I dispatched the raiders with conventional weapons and the Behemoth with a couple or so alien blasts.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Dogmeat was always more of a hindrance than help for me. He tends to just run off and attack anything that comes near you, getting himself killed in the process more times than I can count.

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Gee, my Dogmeat was nigh invulnerable. He was still alve after overwhelming odds and awesome firepower thrown his way. Which is more than I could say about other followers such as Charon and Star Palladin Cross.

11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I just bought this used for twenty bucks. Never played Fallout before...anxious to see where it goes. I've only heard good things.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, hope you like it. And if you do, prepare to kiss your life goodbye for a good month or two. :D

13. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    My decision certainly came with qualms. Almost no action in Fallout fails come with them. And I surely felt troubled by the streets littered with dead slaves from the failed revolt (which I played a hand in aborting). I could deal with the enslaved being snarky with me, even the ones who refused to speak to me, but Bethesda's wise decision to give so many of these arguably fodder-oriented NPCs that were lying lifeless all over the city individual names and personalities went a long way towards making me severely question my decision.

Putting myself in the here-and-now (or is it the "there-and-then"?) as best as I could for a video game simulation, I couldn't bring myself to snatch the cure under the circumstances it would have had to have existed. By this point in my playthrough, even the smallest instance of uncorrupted humanity stopped me in my tracks. I also applied a small bit of in-game logic in that -- although they're fractured as an organization along ideological lines, and tend to be arrogant and not very sympathetic -- coming from the Brotherhood, Ashur still should have been driven by the same (albeit stunted) ethical code. The Thunderdome element, an apocalyptic given, seemed to actually serve a purpose -- a purpose, I'm fully aware, that only makes sense within the very narrow reality of the game's Pittsburgh.

Afterward, I realized that, while not expecting to, my decision in Pittsburgh was based almost exclusively on "the cure" itself, rather than the fate of the factions struggling there. Moral of the story: Don't send Leto II into a post-apocalyptic wasteland on a mission where his bomb-proof sentimentality might be a problem.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, out of all Fallout 3 quests I played, the Pitt is definitely the Kobayashi Maru monkeywrench thrown into your moral compass. It's a lose/lose scenario any which way you want to look at it, even if the Karma effect is not necessarily negative (or positive) once you've made your choices there.

I sincerely miss the Capital Wasteland, I think I'll go grab me a copy of the GOTY edition in case ME2 bores me, which for some reason I think it will.

15. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Also, just so everyone knows, I absolutely had to have this.

...Even though I already owned the original Prima guide. But I think you'll all agree this was an extremely justified purchase.

16. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Bethesda decides to nut up against Interplay.

They're appealing December's decision which blocked their attempted petition against Interplay (and the Caen Brothers), relating to the lack of progress made to date on production of a Fallout MMO. Also, they've since switched to new legal representation (Steptoe and Johnson, LLC, who actually offered me a job last year).

Interplay still retains the rights to continue releasing the "classic" Fallout titles (1, 2, and Tactics) via digital download, though Bethesda successfully obtained a preventative injunction taking the retail disc version off brick-and-mortar store shelves. Frankly, I don't know of anyone who would rather play an Interplay-developed MMO than one coming from Bethesda. This whole legal fight is inane. I've been saying this for a while now, but Interplay is an outdated company with crippled assets. They're a sick dog, whose only strength is their IP ownerships.

Bethesda should have accepted the opportunity to buy Interplay and continue them as a subsidiary when they had the chance. This would've been good business.

17. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    You could be representing Bethesda!

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I know...I know. Makes me a sad panda. It came down to relocation for my wife and I, and that was a major issue at the time, especially for my spouse (a professor). Their Chicago firm branch mainly handles securities and guaranty-issues, which would've meant either the D.C. area, Phoenix, or Los Angeles.

That said, we ARE likely going to be partially repping EA (more specifically, their BioWare Austin wing, among other holdings) in several domestic (continental U.S.) IP litigation matters possibly as soon this fall. I'm excited.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, I've always figured Leto II's devotion may have a more deeper meaning. I wonder how much $$$ they send him a month for his efforts? :p

Kidding!

20. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I would accept virtually any "appreciation" they'd care to send my way, of course. [face_coffee]

I have no shame.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    We know you don't, buddy. :p

22. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Can't argue with you...especially since I picked a copy up, too. That's despite having the collector's edition of the original guide. :p

Love the fact that not only did they squeeze in all the DLC content in there, but they've added pictures of most of the NPCs, weapons, and assorted gear. :D

23. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Considering that this was probably the greatest gaming experience of my life, this is one edition I'm proud to own. Incredibly awesome.

Nothing less than a limited-edition hardcover could properly commemorate this one.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I love the music in this game.

That is all.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The background music while travelling the Wasteland can be hauntingly soothing, immersing you into the landscape's desoltation, until a random encounter breaks the mood and the combat theme kicks in, which isn't too bad at all either. GNR's repertoire could have used a bit more variety, though given how life is in post-Apocalyptia it's surprising that Freedog managed to find any surviving music tapes, LP's or whatever it is he plays on his station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.