main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the world of tomorrow..... Oh crap *A Fallout 3 Thread*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSolar, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So I played my finished my third or so playthrough last night and wanted to see what would happen upon waking up two weeks later AFTER turning on the purifier loaded with the FEV virus. To my surprise, it seems nothing happened at all. Fawkes and Charon and all of the Ghouls on Underworld were alive. So I take it Broken Steel renders the Project Impurity miniquest moot and void regardless of your choice? That's a damn shame. I would've wished to play on an emptier Wasteland.

2. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I was very letdown by the lack of quests Broken Steel had to offer, so I thought maybe it was just because there were different options if you used the virus. But yeah, I was upset to see it doesn't really matter.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's a pretty ridiculous complaint, seeing as how nearly everyone in the Wasteland would have been killed by the FEV virus-- not just the supermutants and ghouls, EVERYONE except "pure" humans (Enclave and people born in Vaults, pretty much).

4. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Well I wouldn't have expected that, obviously. :oops:

It went pretty much unmentioned, though. It could have been incorporated somehow. Maybe the Brotherhood saying they discovered it and there wasn't enough water to go around because of it. Maybe they could decontaminate it, and there could have been a quest to undo that.

Just throwing ideas, but it should have affected what little story there was in some part.

5. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I only got Broken Steel for the ability to continue after the final mission and the raised level cap.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It does affect the game in a small way, though. All the doctors (Megaton, Rivet City) get patients who are dying from the modified virus.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, last night I did catch Freedog mentioning something about strange deaths occuring after the Purifier got turned on (I usually don't turn on the radio, as I'm pretty sick at this point of GNR's repetitive programming). I thought the effect would've been immediate, but the question is, as time goes by during the game, will I eventualy go to Rivet and Megaton and find only a pile of corpses or is the effect of that decision almost unnoticeable? As in, for example, weaker Super mutants/ghouls/deathclaws and whatever on random encounters?

8. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    I've got a random question concerning the alien blaster. I looked up its location on the fallout wiki and went to retrieve it. Now I did this well after I had finished the main quest, in fact I had already purchased the GOTY edition and had all of the downloads including Mothership Zeta. When I arrived at the location I didn't find the blaster as I was "beamed" aboard the mothership. Now I admit I was annoyed by that, but my annoyance grew stronger once I realized they took my stuff. So I powered my way through it, literally thinking that through every door was the way back to the wastes and finding that damn blaster. I didn't find mothership zeta to be very fun, but it was challenging because in my haste I didn't search everything as I normally did. I literally had none of my accumulated inventory because I skipped the room that held it. Now when I finished the dlc I have the alien weapons that were aboard the mothership, but are they the same as the infamous alien blaster?

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    None of the alien weapons inside Mothership Zeta (hereby referred as MZ) are nearly as powerful as the good ol' Alien Blaster. There's one rifle that comes close, the Destabilizer, which you can find on a table near the firing range. It's possible you may retrieve your original inventory if you go back to MZ and backtrack your way back to the area you were held in, but I wouldn't count on this. Your only option -- if you had something really valuable there you don't want to lose -- is to go back to a previous save point before you entered MZ.

But if you really want the alien blaster, you're in luck. Once you're done with the MZ quest, just fast travel to where the beacon to MZ is. Nearby (as in a few steps south of it), you will find the corpse of the alien pilot from the original crash (if you remember, the crashed ship was beamed aboard MZ). The blaster and a few of its unique cylindrical ammo clips will be strewn around the body. You will find more of the unique ammo clips in inside MZ and in the Olney Powerworks if you downloaded Broken Steel.

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    There's also a unique alien blaster called the Firelance that is more powerful. It is however, a random encounter where the gun literally falls out of the sky. When out wandering the wasteland listen for a crashing space ship that explodes in mid air. Soon after it will start raining alien blaster ammo and the Firelance.

11. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    Thanks for the info, Darth Invidious. I will go back and check it out. As far as beaming back up and backtracking, I am pretty certain that I tried just that and it was not possible. It was in fact a black hole for your entire inventory, so hopefully no one else is as impatient as I was. Right now I have two concurrent saves going on, one where I just went back to my save just prior to boarding and one where I am completing MZ properly with my gear. Only trouble is that it is a bit of a grind for me because I already did it and wasn't overly into it the first time. But I have no one to blame for that predicament other than myself.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I know. I've done almost four playthroughs and I never had that random encounter (must be because I choose to fast travel between map markers whenever and wherever possible). Does it occur in any specific place in the map or is it completely random? Same thing with this other sapient Super mutant (Uncle Joe or something like that). I've only encountered him once, but never again in any other playthrough.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It can occur in any of the "random encounter" spawn points. It can be VERY easy to miss the initial explosion and very difficult to find the gun on the ground. Dogmeat helps a lot with that. Also, other random enemies can find and equip it as well. I once fought a band of raiders and one of them randomly had it. I have no idea when or where he picked it up from.

Firelance

14. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Hello, everyone. After getting Fallout Trilogy for Christmas and loving both games, I finally got the third one. Found a regular PC copy at a garage sale for cheap. So far, I'm loving the game. I haven't gotten that far in yet, and I've kind of skipped around quest wise, but it's a pretty fun game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.