main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the world of tomorrow..... Oh crap *A Fallout 3 Thread*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSolar, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Just found out that Ron Perlman and Liam Neeson are doing voice acting in this one, which should be enough to justify my purchase.

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    And Malcolm McDowell.

3. Master-David

Master-David Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2006
    Cant wait for this to be released. If it's anything like Oblivion then it should be good. Though I havent played any of the other Fallout games...

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Will having NOT played any of the previous games be detrimental to enjoying this one?

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    definitely syked for this one. i read from the guy who wrote the strategy guide that the map that comes with the special edition is bigger than most coffee tables! that's just plain nuts!

:snoopy

6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Just pick up a copy of Fallout 1 and 2 from ebay, get an idea for the gameplay and story and come back to this. Seriously, the graphics ain't first class but then for an asymmetric view what do you expect? Just get stuck in and appreciate the scope the games offer.

There is a character editor out there so you can even boost your character up so you can blast through the main game quickly.

7. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I am very intrigued by this game. Do I need to have played the first two in order to get this one?

8. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    No, but as with all sequels, it helps to know what has gone on previously.

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    accoding to OXM fallout 3 gets a perfect score.

10. UnleashedFury

UnleashedFury Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2008
    A lot of people who havent played the other fallouts, you dont have to get them. At all. the best part of the games is the story and the references you see in all the gameplay. It is a brutal game, sawing people in half with the minigun, or taking off the top part of thier bodies with it. if you dont like the 1950's theme to it, then your outa luck it goes great into the whole game experince. i played fallout tactics and to me its like that for them to mess up the game they would have to not have looked at any of the other games. which i know they have they arent that stupid. In general, get this game no matter what you have PC Xbox etc. It will blow your little mutant brains

11. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002

A lot of people who havent played the other fallouts, you dont have to get them.

Don't dissuade people from getting the original two!!!

You can pick the first two up in a double pack for like $17.50 US, I think I paid £10 sterling for mine off ebay brand new.

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Bundle-Jewel-Case-Pc/dp/B00004ZBSX

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallout-White-Label-Range-PC/dp/B00005B0YR

There's no excuse really to not get them at some point. The investment is so worthwhile. It will give you a heads up for what's to come anyway

12. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    As mentioned above, OXM rated Fallout 3 a perfect "10" score.

Things to take away from the review:

* Environment is "so big, so open, and so gorgeously rendered that deciding what to do next is almost intimidating."

* Liam Neeson has a very strong voice presence.

* Once you complete Fallout 3's main story, the game is over. No continuation, à la Oblivion, Mass Effect, etc.

* Bethesda is planning on releasing a handful of further adventures as DLC. Official Xbox Magazine said Bethesda believed that they would be Knights of the Nine-sized DLC (20-30 hours long each), and that the first would be released in late December.

* Sidequests are long, involved, and fairly unpredictable.

* The RPG system works great. You're forced to make choices to decide which perks you wish to use -- you can't pick all of them.

* VATS is great.

OXM even prepared a small list comparing Fallout 3 to Oblivion:

* Load and save-times are faster, and hiccups loading the next parts of the world are "rare."

* You can buy and sell any item at any store in one transaction.

* Waiting works even better. When you change the time, people are right where they should be, not you running over to where they were.

* More voices. Some voices from Oblivion are there, but lots of new actors.

* The map is "smarter," and more informative.

* Lockpicking is easier to master.

* Five difficulty levels.

* Keys are hidden on a ring, à la World of Warcraft, rather than in your inventory.

* Tone is less "Forsooth, my liege" and much more adult, including drugs, addiction, hookers, and gore.

* Enemies DO NOT level up with you. (...I'm so there.) You may find yourself wandering into an area with much higher-level monsters, who will **** your day up. Same goes if you enter an area with lower-level monsters.

OXM said Fallout 3 has a great story, and a rich world you'll want to revisit again and again, and the combat is intense and challenging.

10 out of 10.

Oh, and they mentioned that the game is very similar in style to the other Fallouts. They claimed it was reminiscent of the old ones, and that older fans should be pleased.

If there's one game that can get me off multiplayer games for a while, it's this one. I can't wait any more. If this was 10 years ago, and I still was a broke-ass student, I'd consider renting a 360 and pirating it. Damn my morals.

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    and we're down to four days...

14. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    Leto II Thank you very much for your post, very very informative. I can not kriffing wait for this game to come out. It's out a day after my birthday!

My fiancée is going to hate me [face_mischief]

15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    A bunch of reviews

they're between 9-10/10. i saw one for the PC version that was an 81 from dutch PC gamer, the link isn't particularly hard to find.

so far looks like a great game with a few quibbles.

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
  17. Carlis

Carlis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2008
    A 9.4 from IGN. Looks like a buy for me.

18. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    Just got out of Vault 101 and I'm having a blast so far! Also, I like the VATS thing.

19. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Dammit, i got this game and Dead Space but im still trying to get through Fable 2 before i start up a new game but im really looking forward to playing this game.

20. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Just got it, eagerly awaiting playing it.

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Actually, IGN scored it a 9.6.

After largely finishing up Dead Space from GameFly, I received my copy of Fallout 3 on Monday from Amazon.

OK, let's get it out of the way:

It's Oblivion with guns. No bull****. Melee combat feels just like Oblivion. You (and by "you," I mean "me") steal random knicknacks like a deranged kleptomaniac. The map, quests, the standard stuff...is Oblivion. But it's Oblivion on some awesome acid trip. I'm totally in love.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is there, Pip-Boy is there, Perks (which are, somewhat sadly, Perks and Talents rolled into one) are there, the whole post-apocalyptic vibe is there, and -- most importantly -- the style is there. VATS is already great, the cash register cha-ching! of getting XP is wonderful, the radio is killer (the radio drama that I heard was hilarious), etc. It may not be exactly what hardcore, insane fans wanted, but I've been waiting for a Fallout successor since 2 came out and right now, I couldn't be happier.

New favorite weapon -- the Rock-It Launcher. Grab that one as soon as you can.

There's a lot of action here; more so than in Oblivion, because this is a game with a lot of guns, so ranged tactical combat is (to some extent) possible. And with the ability to build weapons (which you won't do a lot of -- I'm 10-12 hours in, and have only been able to build three), there's some pretty cool combat here. The VATS targeting system is a good bridge between action and RPG-playing, as it allows targeting specific body parts for maximum effect while preserving the RPG aspect of chance.

Also, while this is Oblivion to a great extent, it's Oblivion without the awful adaptive difficulty, and without the ability to max out half your stats six hours in. The leveling process here is very stingy, so you've got to make lasting character choices right out of the gate, and keep doing so. If you start emphasizing guns, you won't be able to go through the game also picking locks and (successfully) stealing ****; in fact, you won't even be able to attempt picking most locks or hacking computer terminals without the appropriate skills. Which is great.

I'm starting to really like some of the radio stations. Mostly because I like hearing about my exploits on the airwaves a couple days after the fact. Other games have done this, too, but it still works here.

Also, Moira -- ****ing HATED her when I first met her. She was so annoying, I never wanted to speak to her again. Now, she's a class act...great representation of the old Fallout humor.

22. Carlis

Carlis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2008
    Yeah, the PS3 version got a 9,4. Some minor and not so minor technical issues. Hopefully not enough to ruin the experience.

23. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    So Leto, if I hated Oblivion, is there any hope of me liking Fallout 3?

24. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    So I'm walking around the wasteland, and come across a deserted drive-in theater. Nothing of interest. Then I hear it. A ****ing supermutant with a Gatling gun. I run away, but he's too fast. I turn around, and use the VATS system.

I hone in on his gun, and his arm holding said gun. I manage to shoot the gun out of his hand, and it flies up in the air. He's looking up trying to catch it when I run straight towards him, catch the gun, equip it, and proceed to blow the living ["F"-word] out of him. Awesome.

I'm so glad the "Bloody Mess" perk is back.

Exploring another vault now. Creepy.

Probably not. You'll probably hate this less, though.

The other answer to this is, "Go play the other Fallout games." They're really, really great. ;)

Woops, you're right -- IGN used the same "10" review for GTA IV earlier this year (which they occasionally do), and I assumed there'd be similar scores for both platforms again.

IGN also said that the PS3 version has several obvious bugs. After what, ten years in development? I've read that the PS3 locks up if you remain online. So, log out before you play and no problems. (Supposedly.) I'm sure they'll patch trophies for the PS3 version just like Rockstar just did with GTA IV, but that's down the road a bit, I'm guessing.

Also, I just saw a decapitated raider's head rolling down a hill...there are no words.

I have heads to punch off, atomic bombs to detonate inside cities...I mastered lockpicking in Oblivion with my assassin cat-burglar (har har), but I'm no longer in the mood for twiddling my thumbsticks like a nancy waiting for tiny vibrations when there are mutants to pillage and rape.

I can rape them in this, right?

(Zippers? That's why Jesus invented sweat pants.)

25. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    Yeah, I found that to defeat harder enemies you've got to aim for the weapon or their arms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.