main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the world of tomorrow..... Oh crap *A Fallout 3 Thread*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSolar, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Stupid Vampire Cannibals won't let me join their Vampire Cannibal Club.

This game is two parts "awesome" and one part "**** YOU!!". I spent an hour-and-a-half battling my way through an abandoned subway, using all my ammo and all my health items. I finally emerged victorious onto "Friendship Platform," only to find out it was horribly mislabeled. I had my ass handed to me by four grenade-launching rape-creatures and a half-dozen drifters.

I couldn't quick warp-travel out of there, as "Enemies [were] close by." Backtracking also proved futile, as all the enemies I had taken care of respawned with a vengeance. No choice left but to just revert back to a save I had made before I entered the subway. Dammit.

When the game does work, though, it's gangbusters.

I don't remember if they had it in the previous games, but alcohol gives you +1 Charisma, +1 Strength, and -1 Intelligence. Just like real life!

2. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I've been trying to stick to the sidequests mostly and explore as much as I can, and I've been pretty blown away by the game so far. Very glad I decided to get the collector's edition with my cool little Vault Boy bobblehead. :p

3. Anakin_Sockwalker

Anakin_Sockwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    Like, Oblivion, I am having fun just wandering around.

4. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Sweet ghoulie jeezus..."Those!" has to be one of the hardest missions ever in an RPG (at level 6, but those ants would not wait!).

I entered the sewers heavily loaded with ammo and supplies, and ended up chainsawing my way through the final beastie, flying high on the rest of my drug stash, on fire, with no ammo left for anything.

If you wanna save yourself a world of incredible difficulty, EAT THE FIRE-SACKS! The fire-resistance will be make everything manageable. Of course, I didn't figure this out till the very end. The reward is pretty awesome.

Stumbled across another vault -- #107, I believe. Mostly just a few raiders inside, but also had some weird blue-tinted "flashbacks" that happened in certain spots in there that were freaking me out. Anyone else experience this? Not sure if it was plot-related, or just some spooky **** in that particular vault.

If you make your way to the Brotherhood of Steel's citadel as part of the main story, there's a computer that will answer some questions about the other vaults...and make the whole setup seem like a really bad idea.

And for bullet-resistant radscorpions, the Shishkebab is a wonderful weapon. The robots are awesome when you can use them. Who cares? Shoot that sonofabitch in the face.

Or pickpocket him.

5. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005
    I'm doing the "Those!" mission right now, and I am finding that the combat shotgun to be very useful (though I'm putting my points pretty much evenly throughout each weapon type, besides explosives, though mostly in small arms). Though, I just met the scientist guy, so I don't know if it's going to get any harder. :p

EDIT: Also I like how ammo is weightless - it was one of the more annoying thing in the previous Fallout series that I could only carry one or two weapon due to it's ammo weight.

6. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I just left Rivet City to find my dad at Jefferson Memorial, and I can't turn on the power... Anyone know how?

7. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I just picked this up on my lunch break today, can't wait to get home from work.

8. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I just got the Fatman. Shooting a mininuke at a giant mutant is indeed the ****. That is all.

Also, I just got the Achievement for placing a live grenade into someone's pocket as I pickpocketed them. Awesome.

I liked the surly ***hole vendor in the vampire club. Dude, you must get one customer a year outside of your little blood-drinking buddies -- ease up on the sarcasm, OK?

I was running my way across the Wastes to get to Tenpenny Tower when I stumbled across a deceptively-charming town. I won't spoil anything, but I now have the Ripper, which is a hand-held chainsaw. And those dicks at Tenpenny are going to get a nice helping of frontier justice...just as soon as I do any quests they have. This game is fracking fun. Is it just the lighting in Moira's house, or does she have a slight mustache?

I also have my first sidekick. He will **** you up if you look at him wrong.

9. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Also:

Anyone know what band plays that "He's hacking, he's slashing, he's hacking! Chopping that meat!!" song?

Or is it "hacking, wacking, smacking"? Whatever it is, awesome song. Love how the music works. So happy and cheery while you're walking around a wasteland.

I had loads of fun with Moira's quests. Sprinting through the Mirelurk lair without any weapons was a blast.

Although my favorite research assignment was the injury one, where she asks you to break a bone. I walked outside and promptly jumped over the railing, breaking both legs in the process. Success!

10. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yes leto, this game is "frakking fun.":p

more impressions later. haven't really done much in the way of quests. however i find it decidedly odd that i found a toilet that gives you no rad to drink out of...

:snoopy

11. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Just a note of caution, explore the world, I just beat the game in 11 hours by just doing the story missions.

And I was incredibly EVIL!! MWAHAHAHA!!! It was pretty funny hearing Hellboy narrate the evil life I led at the end though. I played with my INT maxed out and was talking people into doing terrible things. I love this game, and I will definitely replay it as SUPER good, and try not to massacre an entire town. (Instead of nuking Megaton, I killed everyone who lived there witha hunting knife...)

I miss Dogmeat....

12. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I'll say this right now:

The "Head of State" and "Stealing Independence" quests may be the best I've ever played in a Western RPG.

The "Temple of the Union" group and their story just might be the most clever thing ever written for a Western RPG, as well. Former slaves worshiping the spirit of Abraham Lincoln? ****ing brilliant.

Oh, and Enclave? Sorry about destroying you. Kinda.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I've a copy, which will be started....tomorrow.

14. Espaldapalabras

Aug 25, 2005
    I just got to the GNR. Good so far...

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Great game, I've had it for a few days now. I'm annoyed that I missed out on getting a fancy smancy apartment at Tenpenny's though. I'll have to fix that when the CS comes out. In the mean time, it's fun playing the game and modding it without any editor tools except the old Oblivion ones. It makes me feel blind and mute.

But modding is what games are for. Strolling around in a fancy suit with a cravat = awesome.

16. HemDazon90

HemDazon90 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2008
    16 days till my birthday

17. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Just nuking Megaton didn't seem quite evil enough, so before I pushed the button, I made sure to rob every house, beat Billy Creel to death in front of his daughter, and dropped a live grenade into Moira's pocket.

I kinda love this game.

I bumped into a Brotherhood of Steel squad fighting some super mutants outside of a Metro station. After killing the mutants, one of the Brotherhood guys asked me to find one of their initiates -- before literally disappearing into a doorway. I hunted around for them, but couldn't find anyone, and their quest didn't show up in the Pip-Boy. I found them all dead outside of an office building a few minutes later. Huh?

Also, it's nice to have a walking-corpse sidekick rocking mutant asses. Seriously, this guy ****s everything up. I've been saving so much ammo because of him.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    argyle?

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    who else found the first bobble head in vault 101?

20. Espaldapalabras

Aug 25, 2005
    I saw it, but didn't realize that I needed to take it until after I was out of there.

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    For a Strength bobble-head, check the sheriff's bedroom in Megaton.

SPOILER:

Liam Neeson has the worst fricking luck.

I have to say, even though the layout of Washington is pretty amazing artistically, it's a giant, annoying pain in the ass to navigate. I must have spent 30 minutes walking in an enormous arc around the city, trying to find any sort of path that would lead to the National Archives, and I just wound up drifting further and further in the opposite direction.

The other pain-in-my-ass is the fact that some piles of rubble are surmountable, while others aren't...but there's no way to know just by looking at them. Which leads to hopping up-and-down like a retard on every pile of debris, while your character bounces off invisible walls.

Since when is 10 caps for a piece of scrap metal some sort of "bargain"? That's the same value as turpentine, Wonderglue, whiskey, or about 10,000 other ****ty items scattered all over the world. And none of those items require a special trip to Megaton just to offload them.

I can't decide how I feel about the fact that followers never run out of ammo. Once Fawkes has his Gatling-laser, you'll barely need to fight at all. He blasts the **** out of everything. Bastard's unstoppable.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Just use the subway tunnels. Set National Archives as your way point and it will direct you to the right one.

23. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i think i'm gonna be more of a loner, so no need to worry about still having to kill stuff.

thanks for the heads up on the strength bobblehead. i never actually went into that place.

anyone else found dunlop tower? it's about as far south-west as you can go. not sure what's going on in there, got my @$$ handed to me by a glowing one as soon as i went into the basement.

24. Anakin_Sockwalker

Jun 11, 2005
    Am I the only one who feels that the Enclave soldiers are too weak? I mean, in Fallout 2 (the one I remember most playing - don't remember much about 1 except for the water chip :p), from my experience, they were one of the toughest enemies.

Also, am I the only one who loves the new/completed mission sound? :)

And speaking of sounds, the VATS mode sounds brings back memories of the previous Fallout series...

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    OMG the Shishkabob pwns so much. I gathered the materials: Pilot Light, Motorcycle Gas Tank, Motorcycle Handle, and Lawnmower Blade. I wasn't quite sure what I was making, all I knew is that I could find the materials fairly easily. When it turned out to be a flaming sword attached to a backpack full of gasoline my jaw just dropped. I said goodbye to the Ripper as my melee weapon and I've been cutting and burning my way across the Wastes since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.