main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welcome to the world of tomorrow..... Oh crap *A Fallout 3 Thread*

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarthSolar, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Welcome to the Games Forum. Where if you haven't played certain 10+ year old games you are considered teh lame.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ouch. Harsh. During my gaming experience I've gone through all sort of consoles, like the old Atari 2600, then the NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn (a much maligned console, IMHO), PS1, PS2, Xbox and now the 360. As for PC gaming, it all started for me on '96 with my first PC and certain old classic LucasArts titles like the JK and X-Wing Series (remember those?), Half-life, the odd RTS, The Sims, and some shooters. So, am I old enough for ya, sonny? :p

I loved COD IV, but couldn't care less about the WW2 games, to be honest. To me however, the best shooter that has ever come out is Half-life 2.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ever since I got Charon my game has been freezing. [face_frustrated]

I thought it was my XBox but I've tested GTAIV on it for a half hour and it works fine. I haven't heard of a bug like this, and I don't have a save file from just before I got Charon that I can go back to. Dammit.

EDIT: lol nvm. I'll try clearing the cache or something.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Hmmm that's pretty good. But you didn't include the original Fallout, Baldur's Gate II, TIE Fighter, and at least 3 LucasArts adventure games. :p

Anyway, back on topic. I've heard about a crashed alien space ship where you can get an alien weapon, anyone know where that is?

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    it's in the northern half of the map. i found it on my way to oasis. it should say that you found an alien beacon and you just need to follow it. get a lot of alien power cells as well. my energy weapons aren't that high and the alien blaster pistol does 83 damage. nice, nice gun.

:snoopy

6. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    18 months or so I'd have argued that point with you and put Perfect Dark up on that mantlepiece having grown up on consoles and only ever touching the PC for games like C&C, but The Orange Box suddenly made everything so clear... :p

As for COD, everyone has their fave of the series, for most its Modern Warfare. Besides Finest Hour and COD3, I've loved the whole series and would be hard-pressed to choose a fave now.

On-topic: I saw my brother come across that crashed ship, but he also mentioned that if you wander the wastes in specific spots you can find another one through a 'random mini encounter', or atleast thats what it apparently says in the guide. And speaking of the collectors guide, that is a HUGE book!

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i've seen it, and it's not that much bigger than the game of the year edition of morowinds.:p

8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I DID include TIE FIGHTER. It IS part of the original X-Wing Trilogy after all. I will not argue with its greatness. And a next-gen facelift would give the collective JC an instantaneous geekgasm of cataclysmic proportions. :D It's too damn bad that the combat flight sim genre is as dead as the do-do. :_|

And, yes, the Orange Box rules supreme. The Cake is NO Lie. It's just that it's disc shaped, with a nice orange laber, and it'll run on my 360 as long as no more cases of RROD turn up.

9. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    'During my gaming experience I've gone through all sort of consoles, like the old Atari 2600, then the NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn (a much maligned console, IMHO), PS1, PS2, Xbox and now the 360. As for PC gaming, it all started for me on '96 with my first PC and certain old classic LucasArts titles like the JK and X-Wing Series (remember those?), Half-life, the odd RTS, The Sims, and some shooters. So, am I old enough for ya, sonny? '

nice name drops, dewd.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, I am starting to love this sick, sick game: I walk out of a metro Station and find 3 Talon Mercs in my face, start the fight, I go mental with the flaming shishkebab....several strikes and many screams later I loot all 3 corpses.

Then there is the joy of the combat shotgun when used at the perfect range - people lose their heads....literally. The best part is as they run towards screaming: You're gonna die! Oh? Re-ally? BOOM! One of the best parts when I was engaged in a bit of extermination was raiders getting scared - Here's my card - Mr D. Eath.

Oh and have I mentioned the Chinese Sword?

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I quite enjoyed the missile launcher. I took the mission from the storekeeper in Megaton to go see if there was any food or medicine in the shopping center. The first time I got there, they outgunned me. So the next time, I sold a lot of junk, bought a missile launcher and two missiles, snuck back over there and blew one up from behind. Particularly fun was the flaming car.

This game can be quite addicting.

12. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I lost Dogmeat the other day :_|

I was going to the GNR building and he happened to be in close proximity to the Behemoth when I launched a mini nuke at him.

On the plus side, I got some power armour!

Finally got over to Rivet City too, so hard to get to places in this game. Piles of rubble everywhere!

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that was fun.

Hit a new enemy by the name of Deathclaw and got killed very quickly. So I went back for revenge with various plans in mind:

Plan A: Failure - slashing with Shishkebab (died first time with this plan)

Plan B: Use Flamer - well it hurt it, but didn't kill it. (I was still alive to resort to...)

Plan C: Missile launcher.

A missile did take the bastard out but it was close.

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i've got dogmeat in my apartment, along with the slave chick, at tenpenny.

deathclaws are a *****

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh yes, Tenpenny Towers...Now there's a place to start an Evil save for, I do want to kill every singe resident of that place.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You actually get good karma for killing Tenpenny and Burke, and no karma at all for killing the security guards. :p Only the common residents will get you evil karma, excepting a few.

To be evil you should massacre everyone in Megaton (except Moira if you want a creepy-funny encounter) and then blow it up. Or massacre Rivet City, Big Town, the Citadel, Canterbury Commons, or any other place filled with "good" people.

17. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    deathclaws aren't really all that hard once you know how to kill them.
    i think leto mentioned it already, but all you really have to do is hit them with a dart first.
    darts instantly cripple both legs no matter where you hit somebody with them. it slows down deathclaws to a molasses like pace whereupon you can just keep running backwards and throw mines out in front of you. or grenades, or missiles, or shotguns, or plasma rifles or whatever. but yeah, sweep the legs, johnny.

in other news, i screwed around at the giant satelite dishes today. should satelite have two Ls? anyway, the first one i went into had a scientist and some talon company mercs. the second one had some enclave dudes, and the third one was actually three towers filled with raiders. most of the satellites were pretty self-explanatory, but in the first one, i fiddled around with the computer, and when i came out of the building, stuff started exploding everywhere like the fourth of july. i think i fiddled some explosions but i don't know how, why, or most importantly, how to do it again.

18. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    I rented this game last night to find out what all the hype was about. From the gameplay that I've gone through so far, I have to say that this is a pretty good game. No, not great, but good. Like Oblivion, the combat system bugs me. I like how guns were put into place in this game, but it doesn't really give me the feel of a normal FPS. That's probably the only thing that gave my head a spin last night, but it was pretty major. I have the whole day to play today, so I'll come back with some more critique.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Just bought this from HMV for cheap...have to wait till I get back to Australia to play it though.

20. sith_hunter117

Jul 18, 2008
    Well, I totally take back everything I posted earlier. Fallout 3 is the best game I have ever played. Period. Yeah, it is like Oblivion with guns, but it totally kicks the crap out of any of the Elder Scroll games. Unlike Oblivion, the story is interesting and fun to actually play. It's a shame that I only rented it.

21. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I really love that I can take anyone's armor; if I see someone wearing something that I like, I kill the man wearing it...and take it. Or woman, for that matter. Take Big Town and Red for example...I don't know why but I liked her bandanna. I wanted it. So I took it.

The freedom in this game is just outstanding.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    axle: then where the feth do you get a dart gun? i've been playing for over 80 hours and have yet to see hide nor hair of one of the danged things.

oh, and i don't really care what you do to deathclaws... if your in the freaking sewers you're still kinda screwed to a degree.

renting fallout 3 is... definitely a good way to get a taste of it, but the stuff they're adding via DLC is definitely gonna make it an own me now.

the freedom in this game is indeed amazing...

23. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    You have to build the dart gun for yourself.

To get a blueprint, I traveled out to the power station (up in the upper-most left square of the map...well past the deathclaw sanctuary (bobblehead location)...not too far off from the sat array where I found a ghoul scientist and some Talon henchmen are hanging out...basically the spot is along the lower horizontal line of the upper-left corner box, closer to the left edge of the map). The gate is a hard or very hard lock, but if you walk around the fence, there's an opening. When I got there, there were three friendly hunters lurking about and a dead viscious dog. The blue prints should be lying near a body within the fenced in area.

Once you grab that, if you head directly east (following the horizontal line on the pipboy map) you should run across a BoS Outcast shack that has a set of blueprints for the shishkabob. I want to say there's another bobblehead in a shack in the rundown base filled with robots just next door (coming from the power plant, you'll pass this area first). Oasis isn't too far off from the BoSO shack (relatively speaking) IIRC.

*Luvs her hubby soooo much for getting her the hard-bound Fallout 3 strat guide for Xmas* [face_mischief]

24. sith_hunter117

Jul 18, 2008
    Wait, thenn can you take the suits from the rich people living at tenpenny tower? Oh and btw, this game totally deserves the GOTY. It has been ******* amazing from the moment i put the disc in my xbox 360. I love how everything works, and how you have total freedom to do anything.

25. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I would suspect so. You can take the clothes of any other human/ghoul and I know I've found at least one suit out in the wasteland while scavenging around. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.