main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Well, changing ANH music confirmed, kinda. Sorry, Imrahil

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    from TFN:
    I think I've got some pretty cool news, I haven't read it anywhere anyway --
    A friend of mine send me this article from the newest "Score" which is a Dutch soundtrack magazine (see the attachment for the part I'm talking about), they have an interview with John Williams and he confirmed that he was asked by George Lucas to rescore parts of the first Star Wars movie, for the rest it's mainly about his past work, he also talks about AOTC, but nothing new I think, but I think the rescoring thing is new?? I'll try to translate (because it's in Dutch):

"I am thrilled to have the chance to go back to something I composed in 1977 and be able to make the entire saga continuous theme-wise." John Williams tells us. "Notably abscent in the first movie is the Imperial March. Being able to insert that theme in the first movie will create a much stronger emotional flow throughout the Saga. After the release of Episode III George will enhance the original trilogy with additional scenes and special effects, adding my adjustments to the score this will seamlesly branch the entire Star Wars Saga into one massive romantic space opera. I think something of this magnitude has never been done before."

2. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Exxxcellllllent....

3. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Yes.. interesting.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    :(

I don't agree with this decision at all. But hey, it ain't my movie.

5. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    I completely agree with it. This is a good idea. This is great news. The Imperial March needs to be in A New Hope. It will like Williams said tie the films together in musical continuity,

Anyway I like the Imperial March so much better than that Imperial Theme in A New Hope .

All those people who think that Williams should have used the Episode 4 Imperial Theme in the Prequel Trilogy instead of the Imperial March Williams composed for The Empire Strikes Back. In my opinion they are all nuts.

THE IMPIERIAL MARCH RULES!!!!

Ronald C

6. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Very exciting stuff! I wonder during what scene we'll first hear the Imperial March in ANH. Perhaps when Vader and the stormtroopers burst into the Rebel ship in the opening. That would be awesome!

7. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    As long as I have the original version on CD (which I do), I'm all for it.

8. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Well, besides what dehrian just said, as long as we have all the movie versions, than it's okay. I'm not sure we will.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Am I the only one here who has doubts of the authenticity of this? There have been internet rumours of special special editions, but nothing concrete. Also, that stuff JW is saying don't sound like the sort of stuff he'd say.

I'm not doubting that you got this article in good faith, but I smell fish somewhere and I ain't talking about me! I'll believe it when I see/hear it

10. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    :(

The ANH soundtrack is great as it is. It doesn't need to be messed with.

11. Echo

Echo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    halibut,

i'm also doubting the validity of this report. mostly because it sounds like a report that i read quite recently. ... in a homing beacon, i thought, but couldn't find the story.

it was, of course, about john williams and the AOTC score. i recall it as nearly verbatim, minus any actual references to rescoring portions of ANH.

does anyone know what i'm talking about or care to shed some light here?

12. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Good *GOD* I hope this is [the last time you post a swear word].

This would just be the stupidest thing ever. I like the Imperial March too, but...jesus, george, finish something ONCE and leave it the hell alone. Christ man, why don't you fix your daughters if you're that hard up for "perfecting" past "productions."

Ims

Yeah, you know what? I don't think I'll be buying any more John Williams. I'll just get his music pirated, for free, forever.

I'm not going to line the pockets of either of these guys until this is proven false.

13. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    I have mixed feelings about this.

Good: The insertion of the theme will help the saga flow better. While watching ANH people won't say "Hey, where's the Imperial March?" after hearing it in Episodes 1-3.

Bad: I love the ANH score as it is and I can't think of a good place to insert it that wouldn't take out another great theme. They better not take out the ANH Imperial Theme! :mad:

14. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Wonderful attitude you've got there, Imrahil.

While I like the original movies when they were first released, personally I prefer to have the OT more in line with what we see and hear in the prequels for constistancy-sake. More often than not, an artist, filmmaker, etc. wants to present their work the closest way they envision it. The Star Wars saga is still an ever-evolving vision for Lucas. Even he probably doesn't know all the changes he'll make to the OT because Ep3 will possibly provide more for him to think about.

In a similar yet different way it's like the graphics I make that are on my site and here at TFN. There's been plenty of times where I got back and fix, modify, and replace things because I'm not satisfied with something about a certain pic.

So I'm glad Lucas and Williams will go back and revisit the OT to make the entire saga more consistant as opposed to hearing the Imperial March here and there in the prequels, have it not be there in ANH and then have it return for ESB and ROTJ.

15. Montgomery

Montgomery Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 1998
    Like Phat says, if it comes at the expense of other great parts of ANH, I am against it. But if it does enhance and tie the entire hexology together, I am all for it.

16. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    I think it's a pile of poodu. I agree that this isn't the kind of thing JW would be talking about.

I'm starting to agree with the nay-sayers that the film should not be altered in this way - unless I was certain I would have the pre-SE versions on DVD at some point (in my life time, please, George?)

-MJ

17. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Mauly Maul, you want to edit his post. Read the first sentence ;)

Anyway, I don't really care. I think the soundtrack in ANH is fine, but having a few changes here and there sound fine as well. All I care is if it sounds good.

BTW, for people whom think this is a bid deal, well then guess what, don't see the new versions! Just watch the old versions and be happy. Nobody ever said you had to watch the newer versions of the films. Just watch whatever you're happy with.

And also, I think it's unfair to pass any hard core judgement until somebody actually hears what it will sound like.

ST

18. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    If the Imperial March replaces the ANH Imperial theme, I'm going to be furious. :mad: If it's continuity Williams is worried about, then why not use the ANH theme in the prequels, along with the Imperial March? It's a lovely haunting theme which doesn't deserve to be gotten rid of.

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Cuz the one from ANH sucks? Anyway...

Good *GOD* I hope this is [the last time you post a swear word].

This would just be the stupidest thing ever. I like the Imperial March too, but...jesus, george, finish something ONCE and leave it the hell alone. Christ man, why don't you fix your daughters if you're that hard up for "perfecting" past "productions."

Ims

Yeah, you know what? I don't think I'll be buying any more John Williams. I'll just get his music pirated, for free, forever.

I'm not going to line the pockets of either of these guys until this is proven false.

Thank you Imrahil for giving us the totally overblown, far too dramatic and sadly expected fanboy response. Now I can sleep better.

We have the original scores on CD what's the big deal? And robbing someone of their hard earned profit because YOU disagree with a small decision is pathetic. Williams works HARD to create these scores and to listen to his music illegally without purchasing it is offensive to me and a lot of people on this board I am sure.

If you wanna overreact and make a huge change? Stop listening to his new music at all. Don't download the mp3s and don't buy the CDs. Do it with integrity. Don't rob Williams of his hard earned rewards because you are an overdramatic fanboy.

20. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I think this is a good idea. :)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Imrahil2001

Mar 28, 2002
    We can't swear here? Why?

Anyway, it's not an overblown response. The overblown response is to go back and rewrite history every five years so that it "flows" better. The music in ANH is perfect the way it is. It shouldn't be touched for the sake of the "saga." This isn't a novel he can re-write. These are already part of someone else's life, they have been for twenty five years.

And frankly, the attitude of "just don't watch the new stuff" is exactly what I'll do--provided he actually gives us a DVD version of the untampered-with material. I'm betting he doesn't.

Hopefully, he'll digitally insert himself into every scene, and give his daughters voiceover-rights on all of the female characters, to make the saga "more uniform." We want all the female characters to sound the same after all.

It's not a fanboy attitude. It's the attitude of someone who's just sick to death of his tampering with old material. You have to just step away from it--it's done.

And why should I stop listening to the music I've already paid for and like? As for his "hard work," nobody's forcing him to do it. He could (and SHOULD) say "No, George, I'm not going to do that."

Ims

22. Imrahil2001

Mar 28, 2002
    Re: The Imperial Theme/Vader's Theme...why replace the one with the other, Strilo writes:

Cuz the one from ANH sucks? Anyway...

Nice.

Musically, it's a much cooler theme. It's the same as the Rebel theme, but played differently. How cool is that? It's the Rebellion, in music--the same original entity, but branching off. That's *far* more interesting than anachronism for the sake of unity.

Ims

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Maybe you should step away from it.

This isn't a novel he can re-write. These are already part of someone else's life, they have been for twenty five years.

I got news for you. Writers go back and tweak things they didn't like about their novels when the books get reprinted. They fix grammar and spelling. They fix stylistic excesses and they even add and remove bits.

24. Imrahil2001

Mar 28, 2002
    I got news for you. Writers go back and tweak things they didn't like about their novels when the books get reprinted. They fix grammar and spelling. They fix stylistic excesses and they even add and remove bits.

Indeed? Do they entirely remove or insert characters? Remove or insert chapters, whole bits of dialogue? Change settings? Change descriptions?

What you're talking about is equivalent to fixing up things like a boom mic dropping into frame or a bad edit--technical, not stylistic.

Huge difference.

Ims

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I know the analogy is not perfect but my point is... it may be art but it's GEORGE'S art and if he wants to change it it's his deal. And as there was a LOT of stuff about the Special Editions that was NOT fixed or updated, I am glad they are most likely still going to do that.

As for the score? Hell, I love the idea of rescoring a few small parts of the score for ANH. It is not perfect. It is a touch weak in a few spots. Overall it's amazing and should largely be left alone, sure.

I am also all for the idea of rerecording the scores for all three OT films exactly as they are for better sound quality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.