Well, changing ANH music confirmed, kinda. Sorry, Imrahil

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Seagoat
  1. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I guess. I dunno, I just get tired of this whole trend of revising the past to fit what currently seems "cool" or "good" instead of leaving it as it is. It's not just Lucas, it's not just movies, it's...well, it's trying to remake the past in general. Very disquieting.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about it, but I'm not happy.

Ims
  2. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well we still like ya!

The way I look at it is... I still have the originals. I got the original trilogy on laserdisc. I got the scores on CD. If they wanna mess wit it, I gots the originals and they cannot take em from me. :D

Besides, I liked most of the SE changes. And I liked the updated E.T... and so on.

-Strilo
  3. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'd probably feel different if I did have the LD sets...that's what I want on DVD. The original footage should be an option, if they're going to do the "branching" stuff. Including all effects, dialogue, etc. So we can hear Vader snarl "Bring my shuttle!" in disgust, instead of the long discourse on how he'd like the Executor to send some sort of flying conveyance to take him back to the landing bay at which point he will debark and walk to the bridge of his Star Destroyer.

Anyhoo...

Ims
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Heheh yer so dramatic... :D

5. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Maybe. Only a little though.
  6. Hoya94 Jedi Master

star 2
    I disagree with this decision if it's true. The ANH soundtrack is perfect the way it is. It's a masterpiece, just like the three movies in the Original Trilogy before George decided to mess with them to do the Special Edition. JMHO.

Hoya
  7. Spynal Jedi Youngling

star 2
    The bottom line is this is Lucas's story and he can do whatever he wants with it. With how fans act, it'd be like one of my fellow classmates flipping out because changed a piece of my artwork. It's not his place to worry about my choices. Anyhow, I, along with many others feel the ANH score is sort of weak in points as compared to the other scores. It definitely feels a little dated, it feels like late 70s at parts and it isn't in the style of most of the other music in the saga. I think it needs the Imperial March in it in a few places to round it out as a balanced score.
  8. Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team

VIP
    star 7
    "I just get tired of this whole trend of revising the past to fit what currently seems "cool" or "good" instead of leaving it as it is."

That's what you fail to understand. It's not about updating to make anything new or cool. Lucas isn't Spielberg, who'll give you alternate versions of E.T. on the 20th anniversary DVD. Lucas revises things according to the story so everything gels a lot better and the music helps tell the story.
  9. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    It amounts to the same thing, in the end. He should have some respect for the fans and leave well enough alone. If it isn't perfect, he should do something new, not toy with something already done.

Why not *gasp* put the ANH Imperial theme into Episode III? Wouldn't that "gel" just as well as changing Episode IV? Of course it would. It just wouldn't be as cool as it would for fanboys to hear that same theme yet again.

Ims
  10. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There is actually at least one good place the Imperial Theme could be inserted: as Vader is stepping towards the Falcon, senses Obi-Wan, walks off, and the Falcon is briefly searched. That section is unscored. A mild version could be put in there that could segue quite naturally into the score as it already exists.

Keep in mind, about 40 minutes of ANH is actually unscored (I can fit the entire score as it's heard in the film on a single 80 minute CD). It has the shortest score of all the SW pictures. There are plenty of possibilities for inserting the Imperial Theme without changing anything.
  11. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Okay, now that I like. I don't mind changing an unscored bit to give it a bit of flavor, but...yeah. I don't want to see the "Imperial Attack" piece removed, which seems to be what most of us were thinking about. I know the music could be cool. It'd just be wrong, that's all.

But yeah, in free-space? Cool.

Ims
  12. Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan

star 4
    One place I would object to it is Vader's entrance onto Tantive IV. That's perfect as it is.

Places it would fit nicely... When Vader tortures Leia, when Ben bumps into him on the Death Star, when he straightens out his TIE fighter after the DS explodes.

I'm sure there's more. But I don't know if there's a good place to hear it in full force or an extended version of it.
  13. halibut Ex-Mod and 2015 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 8
    Something to think about.

When ESB came out, was there an uproar that the ANH Imperial theme wasn't in it? Or were people saying "WOW! That Imperial March is fantastic!" I expect it was the second

Now this is a great example of JW updating his own work withing the saga. Had he written the march BEFORE ANH, would he have put it in? I reckon 'yes' as I'm sure you all do.

Just for the record, I don't think it should be changed
  14. rodan70 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I completly agree!! as long as they don't screw with it too much, But it dose need The Impereal March and some hint of Dual of the Fates. Like durring Anakin's Theme, you can here The Impereal March.
  15. halibut Ex-Mod and 2015 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 8
    Duel of the Fates in ANH????????

This deal is getting worse all the time
  16. slavegirl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Er, no. Leave Duel of the Fates out of the OT - it's been used far too much already.
  17. rodan70 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I guess you are right, But it needs the Impereal March. Or that might change the way we view Vader's entrance in The Empire Strikes Back. That part was always my favorite in all of the Star Wars movies. It could be modified so it won't sound exactly it dose in TESB.
  18. PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    IMO, that is a great idea! Can't wait! :D
  19. zacchi Jedi Youngling

hum, i don't understand why you're all thinking that the imperial march will be added during unscored scenes or that it will replace other music.

it could just be added with new scenes, for instance on coruscant (i've read something about a new senate scene being added to SW4)
  20. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    New Senate scene?

Hmm...why do I picture that scene from "Mars Attacks"?

Ims
  21. Jabachile Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I like ANH how it is, it's fine. BUT....

...If Lucas wants to maintain a consistancy throughout the entire saga, and that would include changing music and adding scenes, then I would not mind if it turned out well!
  22. TwistedMentat Jedi Youngling

star 2
    1. I love the ANH score. It is my favorite score and it should not be messed with.

2. I also like the Imperial March.

3. Lucas decides what to do no matter what I say. (Or anyone else says for that matter.)

To make it fit into ANH, I can see Williams and Lucas adding slight hints of the Imperial March.

Take for instance Anakin's theme in Phantom Menace. If you listen very closely, you can hear the March. But, its not in-your-face-ultra-loud like in ESB. I would like to see very subtle hints of the theme in the unscored parts of ANH.
  23. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    That'd be cool, too.

I dunno, I agree with #1. It shouldn't be messed with as it stands, or removed.

24. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight

star 6
    If the new music is added to the unscored bits, I have no problem with it(and add some to the unscored bike chase in RotJ too!). If it actually replaces the original Imperial THeme, I'd be furious. I happen to like that theme. A lot.
  25. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Again, I would not mind the score for ANH being added to. I agree that a lot of the film is unscored and there are many places to add score, if George and John decided it is necessary. I agree that the moment when Vader senses a familiar presence would be a good spot for a brief subdued statement of the Imperial March.

The only existing scores I would CHANGE are VERY minor and only last maybe 15 seconds. During the lull of music when Vader first walks onto the Tantive IV (during the Imperial Attack cue) I would overlay a VERY brief subdued statement of the Imperial March. It could be done without really changing anything. The music lulls there for enough time.

The only other thing I would change is the moment when Luke asks Obi-Wan how his father died. The existing cue begins with the ANH Imperial motif and then when Luke asks about the Force, it goes into a mystical version of the Force theme. I would simply replace the ANH Imperial motif here with the Imperial March and have it segue into the existing cue with the mystic version of the Force theme.

Other than that I guess I would only add to the ANH score rather than change anything else. They just need to rerecord the score exactly as is (with the minor changes I suggested) for better sound quality.

Moderators: Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.