Well, changing ANH music confirmed, kinda. Sorry, Imrahil

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Apr 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Seagoat
  1. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The problem with re-recording something that was done originally 25 years ago is that you'll never get the tempo done the same way, or the instrumentation, or whatever. I think it will probably happen, but it'll sound different.

Ims
  2. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I think with the film and previous scores as a guide, they could get it pretty darn close to the original versions. I guess I am enough of a sound quality and audio snob that I would rather have pristine new recordings than the old bad ones...

:D

3. GasCabbie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Nothing is ever truly confirmed in the world of George Lucas, not until it happens.

He said in Maxim he'd only redo the Original Trilogy to repackage for a new audience. Then Williams says in Score that Lucas is quite serious about redoing the OT's music, effects, etc into a unified work. I don't trust one source more than the other, so I'll reserve my judgment until something precipitates.
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Quite honestly I think GasCabbie has the right frame of mind here. Nothing is official until it is complete and in my hands or in theatres.

5. DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Indeed? Do they entirely remove or insert characters? Remove or insert chapters, whole bits of dialogue? Change settings? Change descriptions?
    What you're talking about is equivalent to fixing up things like a boom mic dropping into frame or a bad edit--technical, not stylistic.
    Huge difference.

It has happened. Stephen King's revised version of The Stand is quite different from the original book (adding and removing characters, updating the setting), and it's the only version available now. Lucas isn't the only special edition freak :)
    Anyway, I approve of the Imperial March being added somewhere in ANH, because it's rather silly to have only one Star Wars film where the theme doesn't appear in some form.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Good point, DarthHomer.
  7. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Here's an example of how it could be done without changing anything. The timing is off by a couple seconds, but it gives you an idea.
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    dehrian excellent work. That would be exactly what I would do. Although I would do another flourish of Vader's theme as he walks away.

Nice job.
  9. rodan70 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    A New Hope would be the only movie with out The Imperial March. Should he change it now?

No spoilers, please, rodan70.
  10. jastermereel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Darth Homer......i had heard that the different versions of the stand were becuase the original (a moderately early work of his) was excessively long and that the editor/publisher wouldn't accept it in that form so it was edited down a great deal for release...but when he became big and famous that he released the unedited (some might call bloated) version...
  11. islandjoe Jedi Youngling

star 1
    question for strilo-

do you mean in Ben's house/"hut" in ANH, you would like the Marchto underscore the speech about who Luke's Dad was? Interesting. Perhaps, though, Anakin's theme from TPM would be more subtle. But it does rely more heavily on the Father Angle than ANH gets around to.

And is someone suggesting the DOTF theme should be added to the duel in ANH or when Vader thinks about "the presence he hasn't felt since..."?

Joe

12. islandjoe Jedi Youngling

star 1
    You know, I actually think we're going to hear yet a third version of the music closing ROTJ. The new music was nice, although it was thematically unrealted to anything. That's fine, and I like it better than the old song, and maybe it suggests a new world ahead.

But, I think the music could refer to the musical cues from the whole six films somehow and reflect the summing up of SW really nicely.

And then, would we have to consider THAT the real ending? All these versions can get you confused as to what SW is!

Joe
  13. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    question for strilo-

do you mean in Ben's house/"hut" in ANH, you would like the Marchto underscore the speech about who Luke's Dad was?

Yes exactly. A very subtle and quiet statement of Vader's theme. It's dark nature and association with Vader make it the perfect theme to underscore Kenobi's comments which focus more on Vader than they do Anakin.
  14. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    This scene already has the Imperial theme being played sotto voce on clarinets.

15. Miz Jedi Youngling

star 2
    But isn't this the stormtrooper theme? It says this in the SE sleeve analysis, doesn't it?
  16. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't think so. Accordign to the original liner notes it was just the Imperial theme (ala "Imperial Attack").

Ims
  17. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes but it needs VADER'S THEME. I think that's more fitting for that moment.
  18. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    *shrugs*

If you say so:)

I hope Lucas doesn't see it your way, to be honest.

Ims
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I'd bet money that this is one of the places they change the score. Who knows I could be wrong...
  20. Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    It could be, could be. I rather liked the suggestion for the "dead air" point later, but...you're right, unfortunately. This makes thematic sense.

Ims
  21. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Oh I absolutely think they should add more score during some of the quiet moments in the film. There are some that should remain without score but there are a lot that I could go for some cool John Williams touch.
Moderators: Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.