1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

FF:SA Well, do tell !! EP 3 your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by _Master-Skywalker_, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    sorry toddi, you're not ! Neither am I ! No session with 2 seats in it on either Friday or Sunday at all dammit !!
  2. Danikan Jedi Padawan

Ah... just returned. That's a 4hr drive plus x hrs sitting waiting for the film to start, plus another 4hrs drive back... stuff the chair; think I'll type this standing.

Right. That's better.

I was totally engrossed with the first half. Even the slower exposition bits didn't seem to drag on as much as in Ep II. Anakin and Padme still have the monopoly on "worst dialogue ever written for a duo". (I would have preferred if they were playing Monopoly in those scene... the Star Wars version, of course.) But at least their time together was kept brief.

Finally we see Obi-Wan displaying some mildly Ewan-istic humour. R2-D2 is now a rolling, high-tech Swiss army knife (seemed to forget he could fly, didn't he?). C3PO says very little. Jar Jar says bugger all. (Bliss!)

Then Anakin kills children.

Sorry, Vader. Point of view thing.

"Yeah," I hear you say. "He killed kids in Ep II." Sure, but by his admission they didn't qualify as equal lifeforms. This time, they're fellow Jedi, fellow humans (most of them) and what one might call 'innocents'. Knowing that he had to turn, and knowing a lot were going to have to forfeit their lives to make this possible, I still had a problem with it.

And no, I don't know why.

Whatever the reason, after that point, I found myself oddly detached from the film. I watched the pieces fall where they needed to go, and reluctantly realised that this was it. The gap was cemented.

Or was it? Several questions remain unanswered.
    Who ordered the creation of the Clone Armies? How did Jedi Master Sifa Dyas (sp?) tie into this? When did Obi-Wan collect Anikan's lightsabre? (if he did, I didn't see) And how did Leia know her mother was beautiful? (She had her eyes shut, the lazy bub.)

There are others, of course, but they'll do for now. Overall, the film had a ton of meat on it that the others lacked, and I think it might grow on me with repeated viewings. I lost count of the multitude of tiny refs from other films, many of which were surprisingly subtle.

Anyway, it was great fun. And the gentleman to my left did his best to keep things entertaining (ecstatic reactions and all!).

May whatever airborn bug we've transmitted to each other be with you.

(Now you know why I don't post much... one or two lines is never enough!)
  3. Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR

star 6
  4. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  5. Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR

star 6
    Monday = QLD

Ahhh Dankian, my old padawan ... glad you returned safely! You got a showing on TT!! You made the 'Tiser in hidden form ... hilarious ...
  6. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  7. Danikan Jedi Padawan

Was that when I was "taking a photo"? I'm dreading going to work tomorrow. Someone's bound to have noticed that piccy in the Advertiser!

I have foreseen it. My obsession for those films shall be my undoing.
  8. Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR

star 6
    Yes, that shot. But TT isn't shown where we live. You should be alright. As for the Tiser. Best of luck! Some nice pics of us I have and you will be able to see them here soon.

Now send me the f*$#ing script with your edits!!

Plus, Obi-Wan did pick up Ani's sabre once he had chopped him up! You'd obviously nodded off at that point.
  9. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I didn't say I didn't have a good time. I did. I thought the movie was good (better than AOTC). But after building it up in my mind as the best movie ever, it wasn't.

I did notice Obi picking up the saber.
  10. Ticon_Jangett Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah, Obi-Wan used the Force to pick up Anakin's lightsaber, his was already on his belt.
    I usually don't get emotional, but come on, when Anakin freakin leads an army of clone troopers in the Temple, blows the hell out of the Jedi, and slice up the "younglings" (they need to find a better name). Add tat to order 66. How could you not turn to the Dark side after seeing Anakin do that, if Vader didn't die I would slice him up soooo much more. Or, better yet, if I was Obi-Wan, lift him with the Force and give him a bath in the lava.
    Okay, anger's gone, sadness isn't. All those Jedi leading Clone Troopers and then being shot by them. I like the part with Cody though, well, not like it, but it had some meaning. Cody hands Obi-Wan his lightsaber, says "Sir" and all the polite military stuff, and then gets his orders to blast them. Clone troopers are known for their obedience...

It's true, Leia didn't see Padme! I just realized that. And what was with the Master Sifa Dias(sp?) that looked familiar, didn't it? Peace out guys.
  11. aelie Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was completely blown away. I still can't believe I've seen it now and it wasn't a dream or anything. I'm sorry y'all had crappy quality... ours was awesome.

Yoda made the movie, I think. Just the way he dispatched of the Red Guards had me in giggle fits. And contrary to what I thought about Palpatine with a saber....wow. That's all I have to say.

I'll comment on more when I become coherent again. :p
  12. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    The difference is that as i'm led to believe that most U.S cinemas have digital projectors. Seeing as the film was shot digitally it would've been perfect.
    I'm whinging about the reproduction quality..
    NOT LUCASFILMS FAULT. ! i've made that clear !
    NOT A BADLY MADE FILM ! i've made that clear !
    If I were still a printer, Winter, & done a re-pro job like that, i'd EXPECT to get my ass kicked.
    Stop taking the critisism personally, unless you had something to do with the re-pro or distribution (did you?). Should we just swallow our opinions to keep Georgie boy happy ????? Not that he cares anyhow.
    It seems many of us both on these forums & in the general public agree with the quality problem.
  13. Quinten_JarVos Jedi Master

star 4
    No I didn't see the Falcon...

All in All the Movie simply rocked and it was a fitting end.

The turning point for me was when Palpy killed the three Jedi in the time it took for your heart to beat and then attack Mace.

I was sitting there going '**** he can fight'

As for the film quality... the film quality was not the best. But it didn't bother me that much, after all we still got to see the film. We were one of the first in the world and to be honest we were there not simply for the film but to share and enjoy an experience that few of us have had.

Insted of complaining about the film quality which could be anything from the projector to a shoddy reprint to anything else. Take away the fun and fond moments from the night...
  14. Motherly_Princess Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I would complain about the quality as we paid good money to see the movie and as I saw it in another cinema later that day, The quality in the midnight viewing was dismal, and no green lines or black holes appeared. I am glad that a letter has been written and yes I am a Satr Wars fan.

The story was excelent but does leave one asking, How can Leia remember her mother when it was Luke that saw her and did Luke feel that there was still good in his father because Padme had said so with her dying words?

I found that I followed the story better the second time and would love to see it again.

15. beezel26 Force Ghost

star 7
    the theater I was in had great quality.

The opening scene was mind boggling with the many layered effects.

The background scenes were incredibly. If you had great quality you could really make it out.

ok, the implied scene of the younglings death was more powerful. The kid was cute and you know what was going to happen and it just breaks your heart. And the worse jedi death for me was Kiadmundi, he leads the clones with his lightsaber and next thing you know hes fighting for his life and he loses.

The battle on kashykk was cool. The wookies rock.

Is it me or will no one ever see the other movies the same after seeing EP3.

Its like finding the missing puzzle piece after a long time and the picture is complete.

16. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I'm off to see it again today, I'll look out for the Falcon.
    BTW- who saw George Lucas's cameo? I did :p
  17. Aiel Force Ghost

star 4
    I must say it blew me away a little. I only glanced at the novel in the book store, liked the surprises on the night.

Definately one to rate right behind ESB, the first screening in cinema 30 was the best quality film, but the atmosphere was better in our cosy little premiere.

My parents went to a screening last night and when they came home my Dad was like a little kid, hopping up and down in excitement. And my Mother had a headache from listening to my Dad go on and on about how cool that "skeleton guy(Grievious)" was.

I for one was upset when Anakin melted, okay he was evil and deserved it, but Hayden's become a very, very different actor from Episode II, he's matured into less of a nieve kid and more of an actor.

And did anyone else notice his amazingly hot body? Why, oh why did they have to show that Adonis-like body melt into an over-cooked Sith-roast?

(Shuts off emotional overload.)I've never cried so much in a SW movie, it was by far the most visually entertaining I've ever seen, and the music was so different from the other movies.

And they played my favorite at the end, the Twin Suns theme, <sniff> God I love that music.

Overall, most happy if not completely satisfied.

PS: Maybe Leia picked up how Padme looked through her twin connection with Luke? We know Jaina and Jacen did things like that.

PPS: How does Vader realise Luke is his son? Padme was made to look like she was still pregnant, fair enough Vader hears the name Skywalker after the DSE. But what makes him automatically presume that it is his son?

My recent theory is that when Vader found out about this Skywalker that blew up the Death Star, he must have suspected something was up. I'm also working under the theory that former Naboo Monarchs are burried and not cremated.

It would have made perfect sense for Vader to enter Padme's muselium or grave, (we know he loves her but doesn't feel remorse for doing such a thing.) And look at her remains, and finding only the padding used to imitate that she was still pregnant must have set his warning radars off.

Thus, realising that Kenobi must have fostered his son, Luke Skywalker, and that his child was very much alive and very strong in the Force.

But still never knowing about Leia.

Howzat for a theory?
  18. Onyx_Squadron_Leader Jedi Knight

First off apologies for not attending the midnight premier but I had an interview at 9am thursday morning so turning up with bugger all sleep didnt seem like a good idea to me.

Now the film, I saw it at greater union in the city didnt get any of that poor picture quality some have complained about. Story was good with only a few inconsistencies which have been mentioned in prior posts. Action was endless, may be most action packed star wars movie. Characters were better than episodes 1 & 2 but still not up to the originals, there were definitly moments of chessiness from Emporer and Vader. The transformation of Anikan into Vader was good, I absolutely hated Vader by the end especially for killing the younglings. Only gripes I had were that the jedi seemed to be too weak given their abilities while Grievous and Dooku had minimal parts given their importance.

Overall Im happy, Im going to see it again tonight.
  19. REACTOR_DRONE Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well I'd give it a close second,behind attack of the clones,of the prequels.Seemed to be a little unintentional humour in there referring to Darth Tyrannus as an unarmed man after he cut off his arms (tee hee)and as for giving the New Zealand accented clone army a code suxty sux..that was just cruel,but I suppose he was evil so I'll forgive that.

Overall a good night/morning out and I managed to get a whole one and a half hours sleep before work[face_tired]

Now I've just got to see it again to see if I can spot Jeremy Bullock on the cruiser.
  20. Ticon_Jangett Jedi Knight

star 1
    Aiel, what do you mean about Luke and Leia having the twin connection? I didn't read that part(obviously) but wouldn't they do it purposely, and from each other's memory? Luke asks what her mother looked like, didn't tell her. He says he never knew her. Wait! I have something. What if she's talking about the Organa mom, not Padme'?
    Nice theory though, the last part. I agree, Haydon has grown into a better actor, no offense, but I thought he was pathetic in AOTC. I mean "I killed them, I KILLED THEM ALL!" It sounded too... teenagerish, except more cheezy.

Palpatine was sick wasn't he. The transformation while he was fighting Mace was well done as well as him dispatching those Council members. They fell too fast, though.
    Oh yeah, if Mace could almost defeat Sidious, why couldn't Yoda? I have some theories, so you guys can comment: Yoda's strength was weaker after the first lightning blast, or Sidious was trying to get Anakin to turn and LET Mace start winning,__________ fill the gap please.
    One scene I can't get out of my mind, is the scene, before the troopers turn, is when one of the clone troopers jumps on a four legged bulb droid(i have no idea what the name is) shoots in it, jumps off, the thing blows up, then combines his fire with an ally to blow another one up. I like the scene first, because in a book by Steve Barns, the Clone troppers are scene more in detail and the comradery or whatever you want to call it, is really strong. Another reason is because the stormtroopers look so much worse with their mini-blaster rifles and the Clones look freakin sweet! Large rifles, three round burts automatic fire... I'll shut up. Have a good day.

P.S. It's Friday!!!!!!!!
  21. starfire-phoenix Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I enjoyed it for the most part. Not my favourite, but it does have some impressive scenes. I love a good lightsaber duel. I got teary, but I didn't cry, which is surprising really. It was too cheesy in parts, but then I've come to expect that from the prequel trilogy, so I'm not really suprised.

I was very disappointed with the film quality for the midnight screening though :(
  22. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I saw it again yesterday for the 3rd time. The quality was better than either of the 2 sessions I had seen before. Seems to me that some were dodgy prints & some were fine as evidenced by other peoples experiences.

Regardless of the print quality be it good or bad, I reckon the more you see it the better it gets. I am seeing it again tonight :D
  23. Denham Jedi Padawan

I think Jar Jar had one line. It was like just one word. "Yes". But one word to many!...

To me it was the perfect science fiction/ fanatsy movie. Although terribly melodramatic and tacky in some places.

Soo much happens. Almost every scene only lasted 10-20 seconds before the next cross fade took you to another side of the galaxy (this is a generalisation, i know its not true). It made you feel like all the event happened in one day. ie. Padme reveals she is pregnant. Later that day she gives birth... After a light discussion and drinks with Palpatine, Anakin starts slaughtering the innocent. ;)

It was like Lord of the Rings movies. So much content. Not enough time.

What they did put in though was awesome and spectacular. Perfect ending to an almost perfect saga (especially seeing tarkin right near the end, that was special)
  24. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Seeing Tarkin was cool, but the struggles to incorporate a Death Star existing only a short time after RotS (damn they got their uniforms and non-clone officers up to speed quick) won't be :(

The more I think about this movie the more I like it. Seeing those council members go down like punks was sad. Especially Ki. He urges them to follow, and turns to find himself staring into their rifles. I can't imagine what was going through his mind at that point :(
  25. menace_1976 Jedi Padawan

Hi There
    The scene I cannot get out off my head is when Mace Windu is about to kill Darth Sidious and Darth is acting the victim. When Anakin chops off his hand DArth looks up and blasts him into oblivion with extreme lightning bolts. Hardcore
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.