main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Well, I finally kicked my father-in-law out

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    As some of you may be aware, I've been having problems with the fact that my father-in-law somehow convinced the wife to let him move back in with us after a couple years of him being gone. We did not like him living with us years ago, as he's messy, opinionated, self-important, and can be an all around crappy person with some shady friends who help him get his way when he needs them to.

It was obvious then to myself and our close friends that he was using the "I'm here to help with the baby" reason as a front for moving down from New York to Florida. His real reason, we all still suspect, was because he caught wind of my mother-in-law having problems with her new marriage (she and her current husband also live down here) and assumed that this would allow him to have a second chance with her.

During the course of his original time with us, it became obvious that she had no interest in him and was committed to her husband, so he became increasingly difficult to deal with and started laying out threats to me. Stuff like, "You don't know my friends. One call, and I would have you dealt with."

Fast forward to the current situation: he bought a shotgun and brought into our home without telling us and without getting our consent. Own a gun if you want, okay. But in your own house. Not around my kids and not without talking to me first. Things steadily built up with him returning to his disagreeable ways, making me increasingly miserable to be in my own home.

The other night, the wife and I both had to work all day, so her friend's teenage daughter offered to babysit while the father-in-law was supposed to "supervise." I came home late at night from work to find him blasting TV in the living room while my son was sinking into the couch, his diaper falling off because of the weight of accumulated urine and feces, which had now soaked through to the couch.

I confronted him about it and he said, "I can't smell. And diapers are the babysitter's job."

I told my wife, who confronted him about it yesterday morning, to which he gave the same excuse and said that at least he cleaned up the entire house. She argued that the house was a disaster (as it always is when I'm at work), and I couldn't contain my several months of built-up anger anymore. I exploded and told him to leave my house. He started threatening me again, saying things like, "You've really dug yourself in now!"

My dad advised me to file a police report against the ongoing threats, if only to document it. So I did that. Three officers showed up, heard the situation, and told me to get rid of him--probably by way of filing for an injunction. I took the kids to my parents' house and went to work, leaving my wife with her father.

She told me that she told him he has to leave, and apparently he flipped out at her and called her a "[crappy] daughter." He needs a week to move out, so the kids and I are currently staying at my parents. I had my wife had my W2s, passport, and other information too, because her father can be spiteful and shady.

Huh. So I guess he actually kicked me out?

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Buy a diary, man.

Falcon, MrZAP, TX-20 and 11 others like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd be keeping an eye on that situation - make sure he doesn't trash the house or try to burn it down out of spite. Too bad you couldn't have the police remove him.

4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Nightmare. He probably won't do anything more than a bit of verbal now the law is involved. Best of luck.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Best thread title of the year.
    Too bad the OP doesn't really follow up on it.
    Kick the guy out! He's going to find reasons to extend his stay. Say no!

6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Hopefully he'll leave peacefully now. But my advice is that you and your wife should document anything bad he says or does for the next week (and afterwards). Your wife may want to buy a notebook to write down what happens daily while he's still at the house. Just in case.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    And when he is finally gone, change all the locks.

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    You should probably take your father-in-law to the zoo.

Note: Language

9. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Wow. Don't give him a week, would be my advice. Give him two days. How much stuff does he have? After two days, start boxing it up yourself and setting it on the porch/yard/sidewalk/street. Threats of violence mark an end to any relationship. It's time for Moochy McShotgun to move it on out.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Gotta say I'm with Hogarth on this one. It sounds like the sooner he's out the better for you and your family.

Ezio Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

I'm taking notes here about how to freeload on my own children. This is very helpful.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just don't take a shotgun..

Jabbadabbado and Juliet316 like this.
  14. hdridernate

hdridernate Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    Hell if it comes down to it and he wants be an ******* ... file a restraining order!

Falcon and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Please don't.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    it's written in burnt umber - so you know it's good advice

Point Given , hdridernate and FatBurt like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The advice isn't my objection.

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    why would you tell the internet?

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Couldn't agree more. He sounds like thoroughly terrible human being. The sooner you kick his ass to curb the better.

Falcon, Juliet316 and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Asking people to leave isn't the same as making people leave. I think it's prudent for Ezio to be cognizant of the potential difference between the two.

TX-20, Falcon, harpua and 2 others like this.
  21. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    Sure, and the last thing he should do is take advice too literally from people who aren't in the situation and maybe can't see all the angles. I offered my opinion and it seems quite a few people agree... but I would feel awful if he took my advice to the letter and provoked a violent reaction.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If that happens, I hope he sues you and Pip Wise.

23. Hogarth Wrightson

Jul 2, 2015
    My only defense, then, is that advice is not an unarguable command at gun point. Whew! Barely escaped your clever legal maneuverings, Digster.

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Ezio: he needs a week.
    JC: don't give him a week!

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    But to be fair...

Ezio: I've kicked him out!
    Ezio: he remains and I have moved out!