main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Well, if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Dmasterman, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmasterman

Dmasterman Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 8, 2008
    Obiwan talks about it in Ep 2, but I always took this line as the droids going "Terminator" on sentient life, and rebel against their masters. And possibly because there may actually be more droids than people, and the fact droids can think much more efficiently than sentient beings (as well as being much more precise), they could destroy all of the Galaxy as we know it.

What do you think?

2. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I just had a vision of a thousand Threepios leading a galaxy-wide invasion. [face_laugh]

3. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Dude. it's obvious that C-3PO is really Darth Sidious. We'll find out at the end of TCW series.

4. Peedunkey_Murishani

Peedunkey_Murishani Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2010
    i actually do wish that someone would do that... for the next big thing in the canon, or something. where someone figures out how to make droids sentient, or close to it, and they revolt.

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    It's been done a couple of times in the EU. Nothing like a galaxy-wide uprising, but there have been a number of droid rebellions in publications such as Droids: Rebellion.

Personally, I think that line of Obi-Wan's is one of the most mind-bogglingly stupid lines in the entire Saga, but maybe that's just because I'm so used to Threepio and Artoo.

6. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Droids DO think... I think.

7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    True, but he also says "Flying is for droids" in ROTS, emphasising a certain universal prejudice against droids as second-class citizens, if that. Don't forget Wuher's line, "Your droids! They'll have to wait outside!" from ANH.

I generally regard Obi-Wan's, let's say, 'condescension', towards droids as something that was jammed into the scripts of the PT, not developed as either a plot or character point, & doesn't have the effect that may have been intended. I don't think it's a glaring flaw, though, just perhaps a loose end.

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Maybe it's social commentary on the real world? It's long been an theory that if we ever create a race of sentient robotic people, that they will take over the world. I can't see why that would be important in SW, and it just makes Obi-Wan's line look a lot more pointless and just something in there to fill the gap.

9. Dmasterman

Dec 8, 2008
    But do you think the droids could overwhelm and conquer the Galaxy? Defeating all of the sentient organic specie's military's, and evne the Jedi and Sith? Surely they'd have numbers.

10. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    It seems that droids do everything but think in the GFFA, so maybe that's what Obi-Wan was talking about. If droids could think there would be no need for humans at all.

The police force on Coruscant is comprised of droids, seems that most if not all medical care is given by droids, Padme's security is 1-2 humans and a lot of droids.

11. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    Yes, machines are definetly something to keep in line, should they rebel then the events can be terrible. Because an army of droids (especially war droids) is probably more efficient than an organic army (on the whole) because the droids most likely have the ability to search through nearly every military tactic in existance and build a battleplan on that.

As an example let's take the Quarians and the Geth in Mass Effect, the Geth were created as VIs but rapidly became sentient AIs, because of this the Quarians attempt to exterminate them and started the Geth War since the Geth (understandably) fought for their survival. The result of the war: Quarians kicked from their homeworld and forced to live in a flotilla of ships travelling through space.

Whilst this isn't related to SW it demonstrates the dangers of truly sentient droids.

12. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    Droids take baths, speak, save memories, form opinions, calculate statistics, feel pain, and even laugh!

It seems the only thing that droids CAN'T do is voluntarily change their own programming. Is this the GFFA's definition of "think"?

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm still not convinced about the whole "feel pain" thing. I mean, they could be programmed to act as if they felt pain, for some reason. They could have a place in memory which stored the value of a variable called "pain". But every time I watch the droid torture scene in ROTJ I find it hard to take seriously.

14. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    What about when C-3PO says its going to "feel so good" to take a bath again? Surely, if they can feel pleasure they can feel pain.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm skeptical about either one.

16. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    That seems rather cold to me. Artoo and Threepio seem to care a great deal about each other.

17. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    because the droids most likely have the ability to search through nearly every military tactic in existance and build a battleplan on that.

Yes, thats probably what the droids would do. But the beauty of humans is that they could come up with a completely new original battle plan, no matter how illogical, heh.

18. jedislayer5000

jedislayer5000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2010
    what he meant by that is that droids cant defy their programming, they cant gather and turn against their masters as its not in their programming, they cant "think" for themselves they can only calculate outcomes and according to their programming do whats best.... what obi wan means is that if droids were as smart and free as humans they would be able to take over because they DONT have feelings and they outnumber sentients

19. Dmasterman

Dec 8, 2008
    I think in "Terminator" it was said that when the Machines could think, they determined humanity's existence in a microsecond. Which ultimately lead what happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.