main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Well, I'm about to boldly go where no man has gone before...

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by johnboy3441, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    MODS: See the paragraph at the bottom of this post.

No, I'm not joining the space program. I'm far too much of a coward for something like that. What I mean is, that I, having never seen an episode of Star Trek all the way through, am going to go through all canonical portions of the franchise in chronological order, from "Broken Bow" to "Living Witness". I've been a Warsie all my life, but with a potential reboot from the new ST movie in May, I've decided to see how the other half lives. Before posting this, I've managed to get through the first 11 episodes of Enterprise (through "Cold Front" on the timeline below). The ordering that I'm planning to follow comes from the Voyages of Imagination reference book, which I picked up on a whim at Borders, not even knowing how ****ing awesome the timeline in the back was.

I looked up the canon policy that Paramount holds with regard to the Trek franchise, and was surprised that it was significantly simpler than that of Star Wars. For those who don't know, Trek canon consists of only the live action series and movies (with the Animated Series and the books "Mosaic" and "Pathways" falling into a gray area between canon and non-canon). That in mind, I've already typed up an episode plan for everything from the beginning of Enterprise to the sixth movie (in other words, everything before the start of TNG). For those who may be interested, here's what I came up with (I included the years just as a reminder to myself).

ENTERPRISE [Episodes 1-96]

Broken Bow
    Fight or Flight
    Strange New World
    Unexpected
    Terra Nova
    The Andorian Incident
    Breaking the Ice
    Civilization
    Fortunate Son
    Silent Enemy
    Cold Front
    Dear Doctor
    Sleeping Dogs
    Shadows of P'Jem
    Shuttlepod One
    Fusion
    Rogue Planet
    Acquisition
    Oasis

Detained
    Vox Sola
    Fallen Hero
    Desert Crossing
    Two Days and Two Nights
    Shockwave
    Shockwave, Part II
    Carbon Creek
    Minefield
    Dead Stop
    A Night in Sickbay
    Marauders
    The Seventh
    The Communicator
    Singularity
    Vanishing Point
    Precious Cargo
    The Catwalk
    Dawn
    Stigma
    Cease Fire
    Future Tense
    Canamar
    The Crossing
    Judgment

Horizon
    The Breach
    Cogenitor
    Regeneration
    First Flight
    Bounty
    The Expanse
    The Xindi
    Anomaly
    Extinction
    Raijin
    Impulse
    Exile
    The Shipment
    Twilight
    North Star
    Similitude
    Carpenter Street
    Chosen Realm
    Proving Ground
    Stratagem
    Harbinger
    Doctor's Orders

Hatchery
    Azati Prime
    Damage
    The Forgotten
    E²
    The Council
    Countdown
    Zero Hour
    Storm Front
    Storm Fron, Part II
    Home
    Borderland
    Cold Station 12
    The Augments
    The Forge
    Awakening
    Kir'Shara
    Daedalus
    Observer Effect
    Babel One
    United
    The Aenar
    Affliction
    Divergence
    Bound

In a Mirror, Darkly
    In a Mirror, Darkly, Part II
    Demons
    Terra Prime

THE ORIGINAL SERIES

The Cage

Where No Man Has Gone Before

Corbomite Maneuver
    Mudd's Women
    The Enemy Within
    The Man Trap
    The Naked Time
    Charlie X
    Balance of Terror
    What Are Little Girls Made of?
    Dagger of the Mind
    Miri
    The Conscience of the King

The Galileo Seven
    Court Martial
    The Menagerie, Part I
    The Menagerie, Part II
    Shore Leave
    The Squire of Gothos
    Arena
    The Alternative Factor
    Tomorrow is Yesterday
    Return of the Archons
    A Taste of Armageddon
    Space Seed
    This Side of Paradise
    The Devil in the Dark
    Errand of Mercy
    The City on the Edge of Forever
    Operation -- Annihilate!
    Catspaw
    Metamorphosis
    Friday's Child
    Who Mourns for Adonais?
    Amok Time
    The Doomsday Machine
    Wolf in the Fold
    The Changeling
    The Apple
    Mirror, Mirror
    The Deadly Years
    I, Mudd
    The Trouble with Tribbles
    Bread and Circuses
    Journey to Babel
    A Private Little War

The Gamesters of Triskelion
    Obsession
    The Immunity Syndrome
    A Piece of the Action
    By Any Other Name
    Return to Tomorrow
    Patterns of Force
    The Ultimate Computer
    The Omega Glory
    Assignment: Earth
    Spectre of the Gun
    Elaan of Troyius
    The Paradise Syndrome
    The Enterprise Incident
    And the Children Shall Lead
    Spock's Brain
    Is There in Truth No Beauty?
    The Empath
    The Tholian Web
    For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
    Day of the Dove
    Plato's Stepchildren
    Wink of an Eye
    That Which Survives
    Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Enterprise may make references to other shows and movies, but if viewed first, they're basically setting up stuff that will appear in later series- especially ENT's 4th season.

Different approaches can yield diferent results- I had contemplated chronological order when I started out, but went with release order of the series (and chronological order for the movies), and skipped over the Animated Series (though I did briefly touch upon key aspects referenced in other shows and TOS: Remastered). Mainly because I knew it'd be harder for me to enjoy the TOS series than the other shows and movies and wanted to get that one out of the way :p.

It'll be interesting to see how your experience goes taking the full-chronological order approach versus mine (although I viewed them in a different episode order, probably the airing order, found on tv.com), as well as your "never saw an episode" perspective versus my "had seen a buncha of TNG and some of the others" POV, contrasts.

Look forward to comparing my notes with yours when you get to TOS and beyond.

One thing you might want to amend to your TOS movie timeline, depending on how particular you want to be (and if you want to break a movie up slightly)- the prologue to Star Trek: Generations is set between The Undiscovered Country and The Next Generation (the rest of the movie is set after the TNG series), so if you want to insert that brief prelude there, you can watch that sequence until you see water (which signals the jump ahead in setting).

And as for being slow- I've been pretty quick with TNG! :p

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Ha, it's Star Trek. Time is fluid.

If you want to be really, really particular, things like the past scenes in IV should be viewed before watching most of the series. :p

5. johnboy3441

Aug 14, 2007
    I read about the many time travel episodes (not enough to spoil anything), and I came to the decision to stick those episodes and movies within the "flow" of the series they are in (VoI does this in its timeline). Generations, for example, may start before TNG, but the main plot of the movie takes place after TNG. Similar situation with "The City on the Edge of Forever". While the majority of the episode takes place in 1930, the frame story places it during TOS in my viewing order.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Understandable approach :)

It's not quite the same thing- time travel stories like ST4 begin in "the present" (of Trek at that time) and follow those characters back to those events in "the past" before returning home. Generations' prologue occurs without following any characters back like that- the narrative starts "in the past" and then skips ahead "to the future".
    It can function as a psuedo-mini-episode/coda to the TOS era, introducing Guinan for the forthcoming TNG era and setting up Soran for later resolution in Generations' main story. Most time travel episodes wouldn't work as well if you watched their past events in order, as you'd be getting only the middle of a story, not the start of one.

7. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    johnboy3441 a question are you going to watch the Original versions of Star Trek: The Original Series or the Re-mastered versions I was just wondering.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For what it's worth- the Remastered versions don't really change anything beyond FX and matte paintings, and might flow better if you're watching them between ENT and TNG.

9. johnboy3441

Aug 14, 2007
    I would use the Remastered episodes for my watch-through if I could, but I couldn't find them readily available. I still have until I finish Enterprise, though, so maybe they'll pop up.

10. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
  11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    At this point I'm going to put in a plug for a series of books called "The Nitpicker's Guide to ____(Star Trek series)___".
    It includes some interesting references... such as that the syndicated version of one episode of Classic Trek (tos) is actually longer than the Official VHS Released episode, and every plot point and inconsistency the author could find or had pointed out to him.
    (Trek 1, Chekov greets spock getting out of the shuttle, then is already at his station when spock walks onto the bridge--how did he get there so fast?)
    There was one volume for classic trek (TOS + movies 1-6), two for Next Generation Trekers (seasons 1-5 and 6-7 plus one or two movies), and I think one for DS9, though I'm not sure.
    It might be fun to read the books as you go through.

BTW: don't be surprized if season 3 of Enterprise leaves you less than thrilled. Just slog through it. Season 4 is a bit better, and has some of the best episodes since TOS.

What I find funny about Trek is that they keep trying to recapture the flavor of TOS with each new series, and keep getting sidetracked with other ideas that cause it to drift away from that goal into something else entirely. I think the biggest mistake is their need to constantly introduce too many characters. TOS had two primary actors with a 3rd as a soundingboard, but really, the show was Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (who eventually made it into the opening credits). All the other shows list every single recuring character they can in the opening credits, and spend so much time fussing with the 2nd stringers, that the sense of focus is constantly lost. TOS didn't have episodes that focussed on Sulu, Checkov, Uhura, or Scotty. Never! They were there for flavor, consistancy, and support, but that was it. There should not be Ensigns listed in the opening credits. Pick 2-3 actors, and focus the show on those characters. That's what worked. Yet with every reboot, the 'modern' all-inclusiveness bleaches all the life from the story.
    OK, enough rambling. Fee free to ignore me--that's probablly the safest and best course of action anyway.

Good luck on your project.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Scotty and Uhura were the focus of an episode or two.

i think having a large cast has it's benefits if the show runs long enough. TNG had a large cast, and while Picard/Riker/Data were the main characters, Worf was pretty important and Geordi had a couple great episodes, and even recurring/semi-supporting characters like O'Brien and Barclay are memorable. Granted, we could do with less Trois and Crushers.

13. johnboy3441

Aug 14, 2007
    That's the one thing I'm dreading most about this run-through. While I've remained mostly in the dark about Trek (other than the basics, such as what a Klingon looks like), my experience with MST3K fanfiction has made me aware of a character named Wesley Crusher. Tell me, is he really as unbearable as everyone says he is?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It depends on the episode, but yeah, for the most part he's an annoying character- if not outright, then because an episode might maks him out to be just so much smarter than everyone else, able to find the solution, etc. It's not always the case (he's not bad in a few episodes- especially when paired alone with Picard), but it's usually pretty blatant when it is. He's around as a regular character for a little over half of TNG.

I don't know if he's "unbearable" though- the TNG cast is large enough that he's overshadowed by those around him in terms of presence, and I never found him so bad as to want to turn off an episode (something I definitely can't say for some TOS episodes ;) ), especially as he's only the main character in a handful of episodes (though he'll have sizeable supporting roles in more).

15. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Most of the time, you can ignore Wesley. When the episode focuses on him, however, he's even worse than Adric, and look what happened to him! to be fair, Will Weaton had ideas about what to do with the character, but the directors consistantly ignored or over-road him. What Adult wants to listen to the ideas of a teenager?

Even with the Scotty & Uhura episodes, the story and action was still focussed on the main 3 actors of the show.

On a side note, I saw a very amusing YouTube fan-edit flick of Star Trek vs Star Wars with -D next gen crew vs ISD Avenger and Vader. Got a giggle. Probablly not new.

BTW: before you have to worry about wesley, you have 4 seasons of Enterprise (including the horrible season 3), 3 seasons of TOS, and 6 movies.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't really mind Wesley? Sure, some of the episodes that focused on him were poorly written, but I still kind of like the character himself.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree, Wesley as a character was fairly likable. The problem was that they made him too smart for his own good. I mean, when he can outthink Data, who's intelligence significantly surpasses everyone else's combined and when he has a better grasp of Warp theory that Geordi, who's only the Chief Engineer of the Federation flagship, its not surprising that they more or less wrote him out of the show by season three and did away with him completely by season six. The TNG writers should have handled Wesley in a similar manner to the way the DS9 writers handled Dr. Bashir, in that they explained the origin of his exceptional brillaince and they made him an expert in a particular field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.