main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Well it's about time....

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Zero_has_lightsaber, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zero_has_lightsaber

Zero_has_lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2005
    http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

2. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    You beat me to it. FREAKIN SHOCKING NEWS!!!!!

3. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Awe dued, we must have posted at the same time.

4. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Actually he posted 20 minutes before you. This is awesome news, even though they arent my definative view of star wars. I sure hope that there are some more bonus features and the deleted scenes.

5. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    NO I have a feeling they are bare bones. But smeg on a stick and tickle my joy!

6. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004

WHY THAT SLIMY, DOUBLE-CROSSING, NO GOOD SWINDLER!:mad:

7. skye_solo

Oct 6, 2004
    This will be a day long remembered.

8. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    There is still good in him.

9. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    FINALLY!

10. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

Ah, it's about time! Although, It's kind of funny we have to purchase the digitally remastered versions all over again and the original flick is considered bonus material.

Just think, the Wide Screen Laser discs released in 1995 were billed as "The last chance to own the original version of Star Wars."

I still wouldn't mind having a remastered (cleaned up) version of the original "ANH" movie without Jabba, the extra digital Mos Eisley - etc. thrown in. It sounds like they are just transfering the original movie to DVD (which is also cool). I almost wonder if it's a way for George to say "Look, see how much better my newer version is compared to what was released in 1977!"

- Kay Dee

11. Zero_has_lightsaber

Zero_has_lightsaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2005
    Heh, at the video rental place in my school, there are still the VHS tapes of the original SW movies.

I should of stole them and auctioned them off on eBay.

12. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Dude, my fan edits are better than those VHSs.

But Hell hath frozen over.

"Thak the Maker."

13. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Now that's GREAT news! I'm sincerely happy that we can finally have a nice preserved time capsule of what we all saw when we were kids. Can't wait to hear the 2.0 Dolby Surround and see all the matte lines! I hope they have better covers (i.e. the original poster art!), and that Episode IV DOESN'T say "Episode IV" like it did in 1977. If there's no bonus features, I'd be cool with that, as long as the movies are put on DVD. I wonder what commentary they'd use too. Hopefully, any extras will be from the "Definitive Collection" laserdiscs.

To commemorate this event, StarWarsShop.com is selling exclusive limited edition t-shirts:

http://starwars.com/collecting/shop/shopnews/news20060503.html

Time to plan another event this fall.... :D

14. Skatou-Laki

Skatou-Laki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2003
    See! There is still good in him (re: Georgle Lucas). I have felt it!

YESH!!! This is going to be the best "May the 4th" day ever! Maker bless us, everyone! I'm gonna have to watch my laser-disc-burned-to-dvd edition to celebrate today. May the 4th be with you!

Luke - "I knew you'd come back (around, that is)! I just knew it!" [face_dancing]

Leia - "Hey, I knew there was more to you than money." :*

15. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000

What in the blue hell is hath? Hoth maybe? [face_laugh]

16. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    its the same english as layeth, and smacketh.

17. skye_solo

Oct 6, 2004
    hahahahaha! [face_laugh]

STAR WARS RRRRRRRUUUUUUUULLLLLZZZZZZZZ!

This thing better not be a joke...

18. skye_solo

Oct 6, 2004
    Yes, this is my 4th post in this thread, and yes, I am prepared and fully expect more to follow. I AM ELATED AT THIS NEWS!

In the words of the Great American Hero theme song: Believe it or not, I'm walking on air!

19. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [face_hypnotized] =D=

I am so worried that this is some kind of belated April Fool's Day joke!

I feel like dancing with Ewoks and handing weird energy balls over to Gungans!!!!

This will be a day long remembered!!!!!!!!!

sorry, I'm trying to take a deep breath and calm down, but I am SO HAPPY right now :D

20. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Yeah, it would also be great if it was the original 1977 crawl that just read "Star Wars" and not the rerelease crawl from '81.

21. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Figures, the Lucas marketing dept has struck again,

"There must be some way we can get them to buy it again before we go 3D... hey!..."

*grumbles and cheers*

Like I won't preorder it. At least I can finally quit worrying about the widescreen original cut on VHS getting older and going bad.

Of course they just dropped HD-DVD players on the market too I hear, so I suppose in a few years I'll be buying my entire collection all over yet again.

It isn't easy being a fan.

Or cheap.

22. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Like everybody else, I'm totally thrilled! However, about the "There is good in him..."

Nah. He finally just realized he can make a killing off of us if he DOES release them. It's still the profit-motive Dark Side. But hey, as long as we benefit...

- Kai

23. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Uncle George was probably going to release them anyway, but marketing timed it perfectly with the 30th anniversary coming up, as well as the 3D showings, etc.

24. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    We can only hope that the quality will not be as bad as the press release makes it sound in the USA Today article. By '93 standards, I hope he means the source is the restruck prints made for the LD restorations for the Definitive and Faces sets. If the source is the master for these LDs then it will be good. But if it's some old 1/2 inch tape master as oppossed to D2 or even better a new telecine, then the bashers will have a field day.

Nevertheless it is a great day for the die hard fans, the true fans.

Thanks to Originaltrilogy.com for fighting the good fight and never giving up, well self congrats, I guess :D and IGN for putting the OOT on their most requested list =D= and for now, let there be a truce between bashers and George Lucas [face_peace]. At least as far as this subject is concerned, there are the other movies to bash ;)

25. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005
    man! i need a second job to fulfill my uncontrollable need to buy stuff like this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.