main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Well it's about time....

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Zero_has_lightsaber, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skatou-Laki

Skatou-Laki Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2003
    I know it's still 5 months off (AGONY!!!) but are we going to "make an appearance" at any of the stores on it's first day on the shelves?

I'm so stoked! No more "Jedi Rocks" musical number to take us out of ROTJ (Lapti Nek rules!)!! Han shoots first! The Shistavanen Wolfmen are back in the cantina! Shebastian Shaw gets his spirit back from Hayden! WHOO HOOOO!!!!

Mustafar has frozen over!!! [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing]

2. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    It would be truly interested in this finally satisfies the masses once and for all. Now if they could only re-build NorthPoint and re-open the Coronet before demolition, and show them one last time on the big screen.[face_praying] Yeah right. [face_mischief] What a way to begin the celebrating of the 30th Anniversary.

Personally, I would like to see the entire Pink Five trilogy inserted as an easter egg, or have a version where they are edited into the actual movies. :D

3. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Correction it's the same english as The Bard would say... If The Bard was 6'4", 265lbs, and whipped monkey candyass all the live long day! Though it's not The Bard, no, no, no, no, NO! It's the locked, stocked, eyebrow cocked o_O, People's Champ, THE ROCK! So know your role and get your planets right!

4. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    In September of 2004 my store (full of non SE Star Wars fans made a homemade sign that we stuck behind the counter. It read, "BUY THE STAR WARS TRILOGY ON VHS TODAY. That was a fun time.
    Well, it only took two years. That wasn't so bad, although maddening.
    Yeah, I agree Lucas did this because HD is coming. Immediately we're going to have the original trilogy in a fading format. Although I think the changeover may take a while.

5. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    This is gonna be fun for a ew months expecially with speculation on what the print will look lke.

6. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I'll be glad to see the original back except for one part, but I'm kind of biased...

We got to see the re-release of ANH and ESB locally, but for Jedi we drove down to Mann?s Chinese Theater in Hollywood, got tickets for opening day through friends, who were taking turns holding places in line.

The audience there was all hardcore fans, some had been in line a week or so, many in costume, most totally stoked to see the end of the trilogy on the big screen again... for the last time (so we all thought). The crowd was just awesome, laughed at the funny parts, cheered for the right people, and came up with a few real killer toss in lines ala Rocky Horror;

Leia to Ewok: "I'm not going to hurt you.."
    Audience: "HURT HIM HURT HIM!!!"

Emperor: "Yooouuu want thiss don't youuuu"
    Audience: *widespread snickers* "PERV!"

During certain moments you could have heard a pin drop, others were drowned out by laughter or cheers. It was just the experience of a lifetime, the feeling of oneness in the recycled air.

And when the Ewok song was replaced with a much more reverent tune, and the new footage showing the Galaxy celebrating the fall of the Empire, it reverberated with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the statues of Stalin, a message of hope for the future, that there can BE a future without suffering and persecution, a hopeful note for all those fighting overwhelming odds against tyranny and oppression. The end was transformed from a teddy bear dance party into something much larger and meaningful.

As the first glimpse of Coruscant bespoke of the prequel series to come, a lot of people just teared up, began to stand up and seek out old friends, shake hands and hug strangers, knowing this chapter was over, the trilogy was once again complete, the end of another era and chapter in the Star Wars legend. Most knew another episode was in the works, but most were unsure if Lucas would pull it off, or how it would fit in or be accepted without the iconic heroes and villains they knew and grew up with. As those on the screen celebrated and shared stories, so did those in the audience, it was like the gathering at Endor had spilled over into reality.

Some, like my wife, were at that very place years ago for the first showing of Jedi back in 1983 and was seeing faces not seen in a decade. Others brought their children so they could experience it as they did, children that had been only seen Star Wars on the small screen or had not yet been born during the first run, when we were all so much younger and innocent. Some were quietly musing on the absence of others, "I wish he/she had lived to see this again...",

It was at the same time a joyous moment as well as sad and sobering.

It was the ultimate class reunion, the class of The Original Star Wars Trilogy 1977-1983.

The other revisions are not a big deal to me (I'm a Han shoots first fan), but every time I hear that song I realize how much this film has changed people's lives and brought together people from all over the world and formed friendships, bonds and even lifelong partners, and how time is catching up to all of us OT fans, how future generations will never gasp in utter disbelief when Vader said those epocial words, ?No, I am your Father!? That surprise is gone now, the story is out, and a different Anakin exists now with the telling of the longer tale.

To me the revised ending is a much more fitting end to the saga, and although I welcome back the original, I will always find a fondness for that haunting theme.

But like I said, I?m biased by that magical and strange moment in time.

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I totally agree with you, Sid. Well said.

8. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    I was at the showing that Sid talks about AND saw (and "worked" the Chinese Theater promos for the original releases...

It WAS a magic moment. And Sid only hit one SOME of the lines that were being said...there was laughter, tears, the promise of the new films to come, the mourning of those that were no longer with us (but we knew that somehow they were still sitting there beside us... watching...) There was the rush I always got when seeing the Falcon fly...(and still do)...and the obligatory meeting and feasting across from the Chinese at Hamburger Hamlet.

What has been interesting is that despite the passage of soooooo many years, those of us that were there for that first time seeing a Star Destroyer pass over head, meeting a stubborn and headstrong Princess, a naive farmboy, a "stuck up, scruffy looking Nerf-herder", a couple of fussy droids, a Dark Lord who's imagined appearance was unlike anything we had ever seen, the most BEAUTIFUL "Hunk of Junk" (that I fell head over heels in love with the moment I first laid eyes on) and stormtroopers (human..nonhuman...didn't know)...

BUT after all that and all those years... those in the SW Family are still just that ...FAMIlY..yes there were friends at the time who moved on...but those that were family are still just that, and we are still just as close, still there for each other though love, laughter, marriages, children, graduations, heartbreak, tragity, life and ..even death. Those that no matter what...this universe created by George Lucas brought together a bonding that is unique in any other fandom.

Now, like any true family ...new additions have been added, and those are welcomed and loved just as much as those that have been from that day in May.

This series has had such an effect on me...insipired me to have the guts to leave an extremely abusive marriage, and an eventually an extremely abusive "friendship." I also took inspiration in going back to school, and obtaining not only my BA, but working on my Master's and taking risks. I use SW as an example in teaching..because "truth is truth."

Now, to all of you May The Force Be With You in the trueist sense of the word!

Kim

9. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    This is wonderful news. Gosh I haven't seen the original version since my dad had his VHS tapes back in the late 80's. I wonder what happened to those tapes? Oh well, just gotta wait a few months to see it on DVD! =D= Now I gotta have a costume for this event.

Note to self: contact EVA!

10. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    If we do do an event, it'll be OT costumes then. Hopefully, I'll have a Luke ceremonial costume by then, but I doubt it. But back to the DVD's, here'e an interesting twist on the good news:

http://www.rockwoodcomic.com/

11. SiaLanWezz

SiaLanWezz Jedi Knight star 2

May 8, 2004
    Yeah , Miss Skywalker. You need to come around more often:D or it will never get done.[face_coffee] Get me a cup of java and we can discuss it or better yet , get it done which ever you preffer.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Everybody just pencil in September 12 on your calendars. :-B

13. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    No one has posted in here in the middle of the night yet, so here I am...[face_hypnotized]
    This will be so much fun, I'm sure. I will get that day off, whatever we plan to do.

14. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    George Lucas breaks his silence about the OOT release.

In an interview for MTV.com (MoronTV) Lucas discusses the upcoming Indy movie http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1531527/story.jhtml. But he also discusses the releasse of the uncoming OOT trilogy on Sept 12th.

Until then, he says he's curious to see what the reception will be for the upcoming limited-edition DVD release of the three original "Star Wars" films (see "Three Original 'Star Wars' Films (Finally) Coming To DVD ? But Not For Long"). "It's just the original versions, as they were," Lucas said. "We didn't do anything to it at all. But we're not sure how many people want that."

You might say quite a few, considering how many fans were angered by the digitized, expanded updates of episodes IV, V and VI. Lucas claims he's not re-releasing the originals to appease fans, but rather to bate them. "Now we'll find out whether they really wanted the original or whether they wanted the improved versions," he said. "It'll all come out in the end."

:mad::mad::mad:

Okay, I knew that the release were not supposed to really have anything done to them. I can deal with 2.0 sound. Even if the mastering is off of the '93 prints. But for now -- :mad::mad::mad: Lucas claims he's not re-releasing the originals to appease fans, but rather to bate them. "Now we'll find out whether they really wanted the original or whether they wanted the improved versions," he said. "It'll all come out in the end." :mad::mad::mad:

Cocaine is a hellava drug.

15. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Well, no matter what, they're coming out finally on DVD. As a thank you, I'd like to say...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GEORGE!

MTFBWY! [face_dancing]

16. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Lucas claims he's not re-releasing the originals to appease fans, but rather to bate them. "Now we'll find out whether they really wanted the original or whether they wanted the improved versions," he said. "It'll all come out in the end."

See, what did I say in my original post? I think my hunch was right. I almost wonder if it's a way for George to say "Look, see how much better my newer version is compared to what was released in 1977!"

So it is as I suspected. Even though it will be nice to have this for 'historical' purposes - what I really want (and I suspect many fans of the OT wanted) was a cleaned up, remastered, enhanced audio version of the movies as they were originally cut, scored, etc. Not that I'm pissed off about it, I just feel like George is holding out on what he really knows people were hoping for.

- kay dee

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    The closest we can get to them are OCPMovie's Classic Edition fan edits and those are only in 2.0 Dolby Digital since it used a sound source that is closer to the 77, 80, and 83 versions.

18. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Hmmm... if that's the case then it won't be a remastered print... maybe not even THX certified... That's pretty weak... and that would just make him petty to just release something so he can prove a point to the fans that have supported his candy...tuckus for years. Just give The People a clean nice print, visually and auditory, without the excess CGI insanity and that would be awesome. If it's just to prove a point, then that's super petty...

19. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Cocaine's a hellava drug.

20. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm Rick James Biaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......................................
    tch

21. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I'm George Lucas, B*bleeep*!

22. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    [image=http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/6373/sw2006dvdweb9xb5li.jpg]

Notice the tag "THESE ARE THE DVDS FANS HAVE BEEN DEMANDING"

23. DarthIC2

DarthIC2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2006
    I will buy them since it comes with both versions and I opted to not get the widescreen DVDs before[face_plain]

24. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I'm buying them for sure. But those '04 discs are going into an envelope.

25. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Covers for the upcoming releases are up on the official site

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060516.html

[image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/img/20060516_iv_bg.jpg]
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/img/20060516_v_bg.jpg]
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/img/20060516_vi_bg.jpg]

Okay, these are better than the '04 covers. But they are still kinda bad for various reasons. I can't believe somebody got paid for this. But these are easily corrected and being worked on by fans as we speak. Hurray for custom covers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.