main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Well, Lit is our last stronghold which hasn't been penetrated by Disney.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Mar 22, 2013.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    They are bound to announce some "restructuring" in this area sometime soon. :(

2. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    No specifics released yet, but it's already well known that both the Dark Horse and Del Ray contracts are not going to be renewed.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  4. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    It's become quite clear that Disney's strategy for Star Wars is to clear the horizon of absolutely everything but the new movies.

I don't understand this particular strategy as it seems poorly fitted for our modern short-attention-span culture and, because Disney doesn't control all aspects of the Star Wars licenses it seems doomed to failure. I mean, unless they find some way to pay Bioware off, TOR's not getting shut down.

The only justification that makes any sense to me is that Disney wants to take some time off to build up a stockpile of content waiting in the wings so that they can unleash an all out multi-media blitz when the new movies happen. Seems high-risk though.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I haven't heard one word about the Del Rey contract.

Summer Dreamer and BoromirsFan like this.
  6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And the only thing we have heard about the Dark Horse contract is that those who should know haven't heard anything, so I don't know how it's "already well known".

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've pondered about that myself, whether they just want to shut everything down for a year or two so that they can have a big Star Wars relaunch with all the fanfare that would go with it, rather than Episode VII "just" being the next in the never-ending line of spin-offs. I can easily picture all the "STAR WARS RETURNS!" campaigns that they'd fill every air wave with, not just its film return, the return of Star Wars books, Star Wars comics, Star Wars games, etc, etc, etc.

From a marketing point of view, I can see where they're coming from... though, like you said, it's high risk, as popular culture moves so much faster than it did thirty years ago, even ten years ago, so closing down TCW, 1313, Detours, and everything else, means in three years time 12-year-olds who had been hooked on Anakin and Ahsoka's adventures may have just moved on, grown up, and forgotten all about "those kiddy stories" and no longer be that interested in all that Star Wars stuff anymore ("Star Wars? LOL, that's, like, sooo 2012, man. I grew out of that after that crappy online video game.").

Of course, given the toys are where the money is going by that chart in the Disney thread, they probably just see their revenue coming from Padme Solo dolls and Owen Skywalker action figures. If that is the approach they're going with, though, I'm admittedly somewhat surprised Disney felt the need to spend $4 billion to achieve it, when they could easily enough have just launched their own independent mass media franchise that, with their marketing power, could have achieve the same global mass market penetration.

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I've never read Traitor.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    Brian Wood has stated he has a contract to write 20 issues of his ongoing Star Wars comic. At one a month that takes him well into 2014.

kataja likes this.
  11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Yes, but this is Star Wars.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Time enough for it to be axed ahead of 2015 then.

Which means what Mani? Pair of cynics on this they may be, but I can well see where Zorr and Mech are coming from.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    As far as Lit goes, I'm less concerned about Disney and more about obnoxious movie "fans" increasingly coming here to tell us how stupid the EU is.

No, Lucasarts killed Lucasarts. Disney is just doing what LFL should've done years ago.

14. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Why do they even venture outside of their ghetto

BoromirsFan likes this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    My real name is Bob Iger and I'm here to tell you we have penetrated your Lit.

You have all been cancelled.

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The thought has certainly crossed my mind as well.

If this is the case I do hope that the new books and comics keep coming for as long as possible.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't see Disney not allowing publication at all. What has happened to Marvel since Disney took over? Are comics still be published? (Honest question, I don't know what the answer is.)

I can only speak to the children's book market but I can tell you that all the Disney movies have books with them, a lot of them have many books with them, and books that are not directly associated with the movie storyline. I think it is quite possible that if Disney is cancelling Del Rey's and Dark Horse's contracts, the company is just going to go with another publisher, not refuse to allow books and comics altogether.

kataja likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Disney surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not much. Disney has had a mostly hands-off approach. More importantly, Universal Studios still has their Marvel Island at Islands of Adventure, and there are no signs that they are going to lose it.

20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Is there a "like" x1000 feature? :p

As far as I am concerned, they haven't produced a good game since the first Rogue Squadron game.

--Adm. Nick

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Factor 5 produced that, not Lucasarts. LEC doesn't to squat anymore. :p

(also, I feel like you're missing a few good Star Wars games if that's your standard :p )

22. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I guess my point was that it isn't exactly easy to just create a mass media franchise that nearly guarantees a titanic return. I see Star Wars as being potentially as big as Disney. I think Star Wars has been mismanaged in some ways since the 80s. We've all complained about it. Would I be happy about DH and Del Rey losing their contracts? Not in the least but I can see how Disney might have a plan that just doesn't involve us EU fans as much as kids who've not yet heard of a lightsaber. I also don't see what Disney is doing as high risk. I see it as a risk. Sort of. What does pissing off the EU fans mean? Thing is, Star Wars should have had a big screen EU all along.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Finally, a thread to complain about Disney in!!

24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Amen to that. If Lucas arts is getting the axe then more than likely it was a long time coming anyhow.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Good, because I love the Spider-Man ride.

Esg likes this.