main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Well, Lit is our last stronghold which hasn't been penetrated by Disney.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Mar 22, 2013.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Exactly. The game was so generic that the sequel shifted from fantasy/horror to sci-fi with no issue. ID's revolution was game engines, not actual games - probably why Rage was looked down upon, since the engine was garbage. Someone borrowed the entire Quake collection from me over a decade ago, and I never bothered to get it back.

Valve has really taken their place, and yet somehow manages to make good games, too. Could Valve be a lucky licensee?

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Maybe I'm biased but I grew up playing DOOM II and Quake. I still love those games to this day, although mods really helps to make the games still enjoyable today. I like Rage too, Its hard for me to not like anything by ID.

Valve really is the pinnacle of awesomeness though. The original Half-Life is my favorite video game of all time, followed closely by Half-Life 2. I'm more of a console gamer...but I got a new PC to just play Half-Life 2 several years ago.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    According to wikipedia, it's speculated that Dark Forces was created because fans were making Star Wars mods of Doom.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Doom and not its predecessor Wolfenstein?

(Wolfenstein + Kyle Katarn mod = WIN btw)

5. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    Man, that was a great game, too. I played that for hours on end on my old N64.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    The original Rogue Squadron was great... I wish I didn't have to cheat at it, though, to get past the Fest mission. I could never beat that freakin' mission.

7. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    I'd say the modern-day equivalent of iD is Epic, not Valve - there are a handful of Source Engine licensees, but they pale in comparison to either the Quake or Unreal Engine licensees.

I hope that Disney doesn't make the same mistakes that Paramount and MGM did with the Trek and Bond licenses. Don't license the whole franchise out to one publisher; grant licenses on a game-by-game basis instead, letting everybody put their best shot forward.

That said, besides Raven Software I don't know what game devs who "stoop" to licenses are left who I'd trust to make a good game. :p

EDIT: Duh. Telltale!

8. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Valve should not do anything related to Star Wars. They should be too busy working on Half Life 2: Episode 3/Half-Life 3.... of course, since they haven't said anything in years about that, I'm sure they have plenty of time on their hands to crank out a few Star Wars games.

9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    they chose EA

10. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Esg, Riven_JTAC, Gorefiend and 7 others like this.
  11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well I guess we have the answer to that now: nobody. :p