main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Well, Lit is our last stronghold which hasn't been penetrated by Disney.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    The end of EU will mean the end of Star Wars for me.

[​IMG]

LawgSkrak likes this.
  2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I find it hilarious when people say "Disney killed Lucasarts!! Damn them!!" :p

blackmyron likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm hoping that park ends up in Florida as well. Disney World does have Star Tours and Star Wars Weekends.

I once had a bumper sticker from there that said "My other vehicle is an X-Wing."

TrandoJedi likes this.
  4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Does Lucasfilm have direct control over LucasBooks? Or was it just Lucas himself putting the hammer down on things when he was actively involved in the saga?

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    For those of us who have never been on a Star Tours ride, is this legit or sarcasm?

Esg likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not sarcasm.

Example -- weather screens: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The thread title made me wonder if it referred to DH/DR not yet being pushed out the boat by Disney, or if the Lit forum is the last stronghold. I can see it coming April 1st: Disney takes over Lit forum, cancels "Cad Bane: Does he contradict the EU" thread.

Regarding the Star Tours weather forecast - I think that's one of the cases where it's easier to take established material instead of making something up. In addition, when that stuff was made, there wasn't this cynicism regarding EU stuff being used but changed. I mean, does Ryloth rotate on this weather forecast thingee? Realistically, EU stuff was always being used, but in a capacity where you didn't even have the chance to change something about it. And let's be realistic, if StarTours had given the weather forecast for the city Mickeytasia on Corellia, there would be an entry about it on the Wook, and wouldn't that be nice.

Now, if that survey shows that Disney customers are generally only interested in the movies and TCW, then I doubt that you'll be able to take photos of yourself with Mara Jade and Anakin Solo at Disneyland. Getting a hot chocolate from the Chiss bartender.

8. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    A Chiss bartender? That would be awesome!

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    He's really a Duros, though.

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    They are the same species after all....right?

Zorrixor likes this.
  11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I think we hit the nail on the head when it was suggested that Disney is cutting ties with anything that drives profit to its competitors, and WB's involvement in Clone Wars was the big key that led to it ending. The Cancellation of the 3D movies happened for the same reason, because Fox owns the right to the films til further notice. I would NOT be surprised if the current TCW BD/DVD releases are utterly minimized if not outright shelved because of this... (though I hope it doesn't come to that) and I wonder if even the film BDs might not face a similar issue in the future.

Disney won't dare reset the canon of the films, but they will do everything they can to minimize material related to them in their next venture until they solidly own them. Mark my words.

This entire endeavor is purely about doing everything in house for their own animation/film divisions. LFL will be absorbed and restructured to be something we barely recognize. If we're lucky, the EU will survive on the basis that instead of being overwritten, it is largely ignored (only occasionally referenced, but rarely explicitly contradicted, and note that I didn't say decanonized) and the new films take place far enough down the timeline for us to salvage most stories (if not all).

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    *$^#@ing mod squad leaks! At least put some spoiler tags on it! :mad:

14. Wonderllama

Wonderllama Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2013
    Honestly, the Star Wars novels could use a bit of a reboot. It feels like there's close to 100 books set in the post-ROTJ era. Luke, Leia, and Han are senior citizens at this point. What more can really be said and done?

I'm hoping the Sequel Trilogy is so good that it provides a setting and material for a hundred more great novels!

The only era that hasn't been completely mined is the Dark Times. Now this is another area that Disney could work on. I'm really excited for the upcoming Kenobi novel. I also wouldn't mind a few books on Darth Vader set in this period.

15. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    *shrug*

There are plenty of obnoxious Lit "fans" in LACWAC complaining about how stupid TCW is and dancing on the show's grave.

As pretty much 99% of the Del Rey era EU *is* pretty damn stupid, expect many to dance on the EU's grave when Episode VII rolls around.

Rew likes this.
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Something that doesn't involve Luke, Leia and Han?

Then feel free to complain about it there.

... and thanks for proving my point - as well as being a hypocrite.

17. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Are you high? The prequels destroyed the Star Wars brand? No, its only the fans that think that the prequels destroyed the franchise (and arguably The Fandom is any franchises own worst enemy - regardless if your talking Star Wars, Star Trek or Doctor Who). The average Joe on the street, the ones who couldn't pick Chief Bast out of a police lineup of Jawas, had no issue with the flicks (and - dare I say it - children actually LIKED them!).

No, you could get Ed Wood directing Star Wars 7 with Uwe Boll producing and the damn thing would still make truckloads of cash.

Esg likes this.
  18. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. They're free to express whatever they feel like about TCW, just like I'm free to express my opinion on the EU.

No hypocrisy here, kid.

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Kid

[​IMG]
    I can literally count the amount of posters in LACWACK and lit with my fingers. And not to mention TCW is EU...

20. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Well I for one am certainly not "dancing" over the grave of TCW. Its a horrible move to leave it unresolved and to kill the animation portion of LucasFilm. After all that work to build it up.....

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also, though the weather reports screens in Star Tours refer to "Galactic City," the little movie advertisements that showcase various destinations you can go to actually refer to "Imperial City," which is a nice EU-only term. It's actually great because rather than just an easily changed info-graphic, they actually wrote dialogue and had somebody say Imperial City (which is therefore going to be more noticeable to the audiences walking through the line, as well).

Esg likes this.
  22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It's no trick to make a lot of money... if all you want is to make a lot of money.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Such a frightening prospect.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Those were nice little touches - I was impressed with the amount of EU material when I first went to Hollywood Studios.

Of course not. :rolleyes:

Esg likes this.
  25. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    This may one be of the better case scenarios we can hope for, but there's still a lot that can go wrong. I've also thought about the whole "ignore" path, and while ideally it could work, all it takes is one or two changes and a good majority of the EU ends up contradicted. We know what some of those possibilities could be--Chewie still alive, Luke not having any offspring, the Solos only having three daughters, etc. These examples would cause such a headache that retcons would be rendered almost entirely pointless and silly.

Given the transition and changes at Lucasfilm, it's only a matter of time until our Lit world is affected. Leaving Dark Horse and Del Rey doesn't necessarily bother me too much (although I do love Dark Horse to death), as Disney will simply move licenses in house and in some form or another will continue Star Wars in the literary field. What does worry me, as it does all of us, is the fate and canon of the Expanded Universe.

I'm already slowly preparing myself for the eventual gut-wrenching announcement that may indicate the EU is no more. A small part of me still holds on to hope, that somehow the EU will remain intact, but the chances of that happening I think are sadly slim.

For now, it's a waiting game. I think material like Sword of the Jedi will be important to keep an eye on. Kenobi and Crucible are coming out in a few months, so they should be fine (although near completion didn't stop Disney from pulling the plug on LucasArts' SW 1313 and SW First Assault) but Sword of the Jedi won't see it's first book released until like 2014. I would imagine that sooner, rather than later, we'll hear what the fate of that series, and other lit material, may be.