main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Well, Lit is our last stronghold which hasn't been penetrated by Disney.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I love the idea that Bob Iger might actually be a secret EU fan. I have this mental image of Arndt writing draft after draft that keeps getting rejected because Iger's secretly trying to push it in a certain direction.

Ah if only....

2. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I did not say 'destroy' I said irrevocably damage, and, no I am not high and I would please appreciate you refraining from such personal insults in future posts.

Additionally, your argument is substantially incorrect. The Prequels did permanent damage to the Star Wars brand. This can be easily observed in the way average people, not hardcore fans, talk about the series. Prior to the Prequels Star Wars, as represented primarily by the OT, was an almost godly entity, the perfect pinnacle of space fantasy - fun example - Kevin Smith used the term 'Holy Trilogy' in Chasing Amy. Afterwards, that gloss, that pedestal, was shattered. People make all sorts of jokes about the quality and nature of Star Wars now, and its all because of the Prequels. Critics poured it on to those films, and so has the popular media. The artistic stature of the franchise was measurably reduced by the prequels and it will never recapture the position it held previously.

If the Sequel Trilogy proves to be of poor quality than we will be placed into a situation where the high-quality nature of the OT is an anomaly rather than the rule. That's a fairly normal situation for long-running franchises, whether in movies, games, or whatever, but most of us here hoped for better out of Star Wars. Further, that does have an economic impact. Not immediately necessarily, but down the line. The question of 'how long will Star Wars matter?' is intrinsically linked to how much money it ultimately makes. If the ST removes the 'legendary classic' sheen from the OT, that comes into play big time.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if most of those "average people" aren't really "average people". In my observation, "average internet poster" != "average person".

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's worth noting that there were critics being rude about ANH- and even ESB.

Though a case could be made that it was a lower proportion of them, compared to the prequels.

5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Well not everyone believes Star Wars was damaged by the PT, in fact I believe it was strengthened. Oh you can worship how lovely the OT was, but it would have been forgotten as the godfather has been. Without new material, the star wars original trilogy would have been a relic of the past. The EU was not enough.

Of course you are going to post a reply shooting down my claims, so we ultimately can only agree to disagree.

Prodigy_Knight likes this.
  6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The Godfather forgotten? WTH are you on?

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Good advice for the world.

8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    The last good in-house Lucasarts game was Republic Commando, and I am sure that Pandemic helped out on that one. (There is a Pandemic label on the side of my CD case for the game)

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This is the worst thread ever.

Manisphere likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Disagree. This thread deals with major components of the Star Wars franchise.

11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    They want to make a damn park including the Eu
    You must not know about that forced meme thread

Robimus likes this.
  12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    For 'Worst Thread Ever', please see Subforums: Episode 7 and Beyond, and click anywhere.

13. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't want to lost those wonderful stories Dark Horse keeps putting out...I wuv them....

I can't speak on Del Rey as while I have starting buying Star Wars books again I have yet to read them...the last time I was a reader was around the beginning of the Legacy of the Jedi series...

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    People complain about Disney milking the franchise, seem to forget that Lucas had Yoda advertising Mobile Phone Networks for gods sake [face_hypnotized]

Also a point never bought up is that it was Lucas who sold to Disney, no one forced him too.

Esg likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And before the Yoda adverts I remember Vader adverts.

fett 4 likes this.
  16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It's also a trilogy, so yes the first will probably sell no matter what, but if it's bad I don't see people coming back for 8 or 9.
    That type of loyalty was burnt out after AotC.

17. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    No, no, it goes: "I'm Commander Cooper and this is the worst thread on the Lit Board."

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Zor, maybe we'll be saying goodbye to the Red Sith.

19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Pfft, the Sith Empire's survived bigger retcons before. :p

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Such as?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ruusan. :p

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The 90's would disagree.

23. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I prefer the Del Ray EU over the Bantam, and felt the PT really helped make some of the best comics from Dark Horse.

24. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    As great as the godfather is, discussion has dried up. There isn't much to talk about at this point and people have moved on. I mean no insult to the films. They are excellent, but everyone and their mother knows that. Or should.

Prodigy_Knight likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No argument that they haven't put out good material in the wake of the PT, however the OT was doing quite well with just the EU (and a toy line) for just under a decade, with the vast majority of their audience unaware of the PT's forthcoming presence.

EDIT- Just watched The Godfather for the first time in its entirety a few weeks ago, heh.

darklordoftech likes this.