Well, Now That E3 is Over, What are Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Fluke_Groundwalker, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I must say, this year's Expo had some sweet games. I will now list the games I'm looking forward to.

PC

1503 A.D.
    Battlefield 1942
    Deus Ex 2
    Civ III: Play the World
    Doom III
    Empire Earth: The Art of Conquest
    Command & Conquer: Generals
    GTA 3
    Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
    Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
    The Sum of All Fears
    Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
    Unreal II: The Awakening
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    XIII
    Knights of the Old Republic

Xbox

NHL 2003
    Splinter Cell
    Prisoner of War
    Steel Batallion
    Project Ego
    Panzer Dragoon
    Brute Force
    Delta Force: Black Hawk Down
    BC
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
    NHL Hitz 2003

Please post your E3 comments and thoughts, and what games you're looking forward to.
  2. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    I was a huge fan of Deus Ex. In fact, that game has the best single player experience of any PC game, bar none. And I think DX2 can top it. I'm pumped.

Multiplayer in Civilization? Kickass. I got rather bored playing the computer eventually, and having one move take up a half hour or so. Anyway, this could be hella fun.

DooM III: MAH GAWD. Those screenshots are virtually photorealistic. I'll get this no matter what, if only for the new Carmack engine. It really looks amazing. Too bad it won't revolutionize the genre and it will only have a 'simple but fun' MP mode, but I'll get it regardless.

GTA3, cool, I'll get it eventually, one way or another.

SWG gets a longer, cooler name. This game will own my life, no doubts there.

Another Rainbow 6 game? Hmm, I'm skeptical. With Ghost Recon, its expansion, Sum of All Fears, this game, and the one being made by Ubi Soft (Splinter Cell?), this Tom Clancy genre is saturated. I'll still look into it though, and I'll probably get it if it lives up to its predecessors.

UII and UT2003 look great to me. Can't wait to dig in.

XIII, a cel-shaded FPS? What the hell? I won't make any judgements, but I can't help but feel doubtful. It could end up pretty cool if they can pull it off, though.

KOTOR, no complaints here. It looks pretty damn good to me, and I can't wait for it. It'll be a tough decision though, between getting it for Xbox earlier or the superior PC a few months later.

And you have one glaring fault in your PC list: you forgot America's Army: Operations. This game could quite possibly be the CS killer we've all been waiting for. RPG elements make you go through intense training to build up your guy so you can compete in MP. Then, you have iron-sight-aiming, humidity/wind affects on projectiles, unparalleled realism on the battlefield, hand movements to command your team, squad based team action, rangers, parachuters, snipers, and a whole lot more. Did I mention it's being made by the freaking US Army? And that it's using the new Unreal engine. OH, AND IT'S FREE, WITH SEVERAL FREE ADDONS COMING OUT AFTERWORDS. July 2002. Mark my words: they do this right, we have a CS-killer.

As for the Xbox, it had some pretty impressive titles on hand. I don't know nearly as much about them as the PC games, but I am definitely excited about Ego, Brute Force, BC, MGS2, and Panzer Dragoon especially. Strong this lineup is.

Damn good E3.
  3. Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Crap, I forgot about AA: Operations. That, too, is definitely a game I'm looking forward too. The realism is supposed to be, well, unreal. LOL
  4. pat-fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm still reading up and watching vids of games shown at E3.

Games I'm most excited about so far are as Follows.

The Legend of Zelda
    Mario Sunsine
    Metroid Prime
    GTA Vice City
    Metal Gear 2 Substance
    Devil May Cry 2
    Resident Evil 0
    Sim City 4
    Doom 3
    SW: Clone Wars
    SW: Bounty Hunter
    The Hobbit
    The Two Towers
    SW: KOTOR
    A new Contra game
    Mortal Kombat:DA

All in all some great things in store for gamers.
  5. Darth_Simpson Force Ghost

star 4
    I was expecting a lot more DOOM III info and footage, so I was a little disappointed there. What we saw looked amazing though, Carmack is an engine genious.

Duality for Xbox and PC looks freaking amazing too, I hope the gameplay is as good as the graphics.

I was also psyched about the Commandos 3 trailer. Number 1 was good but flawed, while number 2 was excellent. I want this game so bad.

The Tom Clancy games are looking better than ever. The Sum Of All Fears appears to be exactly the same as Ghost Recon though, only it's mostly set indoors. At least that's the impression I got from the demo. The Raven Shield movie I saw made me drool, it all seems very well put together, and will bring many new innovations to the series. Splinter Cell. I don't know much about it yet, but the video I downloaded certainly was nice. Could be a Metal Gear killer, if done right.

Pretty much all of the LEC games surprised me when I saw them in motion. While a few might not be more than an few hours worth of arcade entertainment, they all look fun. Shame we didn't get to see a video of RTX Red Rock though.

Deus Ex 2. Does it really need an introduction? The official site is live. The screens there are very small though, but definitely worth checking out.

Plenty of new Galaxies info. I was very disappointed about the combat system though. The old 'push the initiate attack button and watch your character duke it out' system. Give me som innovation dammit. This was exactly what turned me away from b]Anarchy Online[/b].

I also have a strong feeling that BC will rock.

I probably forgot to mention a bunch of games I'm excited about, but i'll post more later.
  6. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, I was hoping for something innovative too, Simpson. It's been this way since Everquest... I wish somebody would figure out a good way to deal with fighting. And I personally dislike this cloning thing, in which you pretty much clone yourself at a cloning facility any time you want for a fee. This will be extremely annoying... imagine being out in a group, on a quest or something, and you die. You managed to level twice in your trek. But since there were no facilities on the way, you lost all of that stuff. I personally like the method of dying and losing some experience points.
  7. tenorjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I was kinda disapointed. Hardly anyone could keep their mouths shut prior to E3 (thanks Sony for your patience we all knew the price drop wars were coming). Online for Nintendo was a given despite their instance otherwise (hello you did the whole fake out thing two years in a row already)

I love new screenshots and trailers but there were no huge shockers. Come one people!
  8. portman_is_so_fine Force Ghost

star 4
    it goes by too fast. they need to make it longer
  9. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    The new Dead or Alive game looks interesting.

Arf.
  10. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes... interesting...
  11. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    *dazed*

Oh yeah, where was I, Kasumi.. I.. I mean, Doom 3 looks interesting. Not exactly original but it looks good, and with any luck it'll arrive before Duke Nukem :((taking) Forever.
  12. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, Duke was nowhere to be seen this year as far as I know. Did anybody catch the bootleg DooM III video? Ten minutes worth of amazing graphics, especially the textures and lighting.

But as you said, it'll be nothing new or revolutionary... but with that stunning engine, I can deal with it.
  13. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    You guys all want something revolutionary- what would you want that innovation to be?
  14. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Revolution? Tron? No One Lives Forever 2?
  15. portman_is_so_fine Force Ghost

star 4
    are there any screens for the new DOA anywhere?
  16. DUM-4 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Was just looking at the Pipeline section (release dates) of the CGW that came today, and for Duke Nukem Forever, they have listed: Q4 3002. :p If it were any other game I'd think it was a typo, but I'm not so sure since it't DN:F.
  17. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
  18. Darth_Simpson Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL, DUM, that's hilarious!

It will probably be a good game though, and I know I will buy it. When it eventually comes out that is...
  19. DoubleSith Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm really looking forward to:

PC
    Galaxies
    Doom III
    Deus Ex 2

Xbox
    KOTOR
    Splinter Cell
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Ninja Gaiden

GameCube
    Mario Sunshine
    Zelda
    Metroid Prime
    Resident Evil Zero
    Clone Wars
    Bounty Hunter
    Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2

PS2
    Contra
    Devil May Cry 2
    GTA Vice City
    Shinobi
    Silent Hill 3
    Final Fantasy XI
    Z.O.E. 2

GBA
    Metroid Fusion
    Yoshi's Island
    Ghouls & Ghosts
    Phantasy Star Collection
    Golden Sun 2
    Zelda: A Link to the Past
    CastleVania: Harmony of Disonance
  20. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
  21. Obi_Wan_01 Force Ghost

star 5
    So there is that side of you JediMaster22 ;)
  22. Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Get your perverted mind outta my thread. We're talking about games. Go make another Natalie Portman stalking thread. [face_plain]
  23. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm just glad of an announcement of Full Throttle 2 by LucasArts, even though it wasn't shown at E3.
  24. Jedi4Christ Jedi Master

star 1
    GameCube:

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter!! :D
    Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast!! :D

- Jedi
  25. JediMaster22 Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    >Get your perverted mind outta my thread. We're talking about games. Go make another Natalie Portman stalking thread. [face_plain]<

Are you kidding?

That's a little bit of Rude!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.