main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Well, that YouTube reviewer guy has dissed the Clone Wars now.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Mond, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Well, here's something lovely to start your day. This was from a few months ago, but it kind of flew under my radar it seems. Friend mentioned it to me, so I looked it up.

The period between "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" in particular is redefined nearly every week, he pointed out, thanks to the animated series "The Clone Wars" on Cartoon Network, a program Stoklasa called "The history of the original characters done with the writing of a Saturday morning cartoon show."

[face_plain]

Here's the original link, but please keep discussion of it centered on Clone Wars.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1635566/20100406/story.jhtml

Edit: took out emoticons that keep appearing even though I didn't click on them.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    [image=http://www.wtslair.com/Misc/care-o-meter.gif]

3. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    :D

Yeah, now that I think about it, that's probably the most appropriate reaction.

4. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    In before lock! ...I think!
    Ahh, there's really no need to pay attention to these guys unless you'd like to get another viewpoint in. The forum itself is a source of diverse critique and observations, many of which are made with the knowledge possessed by Star Wars fans, so who needs them? Whether they hate the show or want to ignore it, just leave 'em be to stew in their own misery. If the opinions are strong, almost nothing we can do will change them. Likewise, if we're in for the long haul, whether we're going in positive or negative, nothing THEY say will change us either.

Not to say that we shouldn't be open to ideas and critical thinking, but there's genuine concern, and then there's ending up at one end of the spectrum or the other. :p

5. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Yeah, you're right. Sorry, I just thought it was significant because people actually take that guy seriously, so I figured I'd pass it along.

go ahead and lock the thread d00dz

6. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    ^This

7. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, goes to show he's really up do date on his Star Wars. Criticizing debunked rumours from 6 months ago. He goes on and on about:

Ahem, it's not being marketed at babies. Do your research, man.

I am disappointed at this. Not because of his hate towards CW, but because of his uninformed critique. I really liked his video reviews, not because I necessarily agree with them, but because his points were usually very well thought out.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm sorry, but to me he's an hypocrite unless he does the same kind of nitpicking on the OT. Trying to glorify the OT by bashing everything that came after that is very low.

9. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I wonder whatever happened to Roger Ebert, famous movie reviewer (though I never understood why). He gave the movie a really low rating (not that I could completely blame the man), but I'm curious as to whether he ever gave the show a fair shot. Did he just shrug and walk away? Did he think the last word in Star Wars was the tainted aftertaste of an animated movie? Or did he try looking at the show out of morbid curiosity? XD

10. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    He used to be a good reviewer some time ago. He seems really jaded nowadays though, and his reviews sometimes read as if he's sick of watching movies in general.

11. Gundark31

Gundark31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2010
    This interview is from 6 months ago.

12. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    He's been battling salivary cancer that completely destroyed his ability to speak (and I think caused removal of most of his jaw). That has to make you pretty jaded about things in general.

About the bad reviews of The Clone Wars movie, I've never understood them. The movie is on par with anything of Season 1, and while perhaps not the greatest of story-telling, is nowhere near as bad as the reviews make it out to be. It was suppose to be separate episodes for the television instead of an all-out movie, so the context in which it was displayed to the audience may have been a factor in the manner in which it was received, critically.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    For the average person, the animated The Clone Wars movie probably seemed a little confusing.

Quite frankly, not sure I would have been very excited about it if it was just a stand-alone film and not an introduction to the tv series.

14. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    True, it stands out as an introduction to a great series, but without the series, the movie kinda sucks :p

15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    To the average watcher, they think TCW is the first series or product to show the Clone Wars, but that's 100% false. :oops:

16. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Indeed. That's why the average watcher should just shut up and keep his opinions to himself.

17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    While I agree with you saying the movie was bad, I don't agree with calling TCW a "great" series as a whole. Certain episodes were good, but others were very meh.

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    This is old. He is within reason to make these assumptions based on the time this interview was taken.

But Red Letter Media is mainly satire and comedy, so I'll let it slide. Especially when I envision him doing his Plinkett voice making these remarks.

What's wrong with your faaaaaace?

19. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    *YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN*

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I've always enjoyed Roger Eberts reviews, not that I've always agreed with him, but enjoyed him none the less.

Have you heard his voice generating device? When I first saw him on TV like a year back as he started his come back(so to speak) he had this amazing device that generated a voice for him despite the fact that he can no longer speak.

It's amazing, but the fact that he choose the voice of Hal from 2001 A Space Oddessy to be his voice was pretty weird.:p

21. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I was about to click on the link until I saw that it had: "MTV" on it.

22. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Who cares what he thinks. Didn't find his "reviews" funny at all. (Only part I really laughed at was when he said Qui-Gon must drink a lot of gin).

And I hate seeing how everyone thinks SW is marketed towards kids now. SW isn't all about the kids. I bet half, maybe even a little more, of the fanbase consists of adults than kids.

Also hate how people cut down on TCW just because it's animated, which means it is probably a "children's show". IMO, the show is getting a lot darker. I think before some fans say "It looks horrible. I'm not watching" they should watch before saying that. And I thought the movie was amazing. And the movie is what I think made people miss out on the series due to bad word of mouth.

23. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    I always found it bizarre when people assert the very grim Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were "for little kids" or whatever.

Their "reasoning" can be summarized with the following quasi-syllogism:

I don't like stuff meant for little kids.
    I don't like AotC and RotS.

:D

24. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    This. :D

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It's not because it's animated. That's not a good way to put it, imo. For me, the stories are sometimes weak, the dialogue is sometimes mediocre and very PT-isc, I don't care of the style of the animation (though, it seems it is getting better), weak characters, I hate how TCW steam rolls over canon.

That's my opinion on it. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.