main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Well this is a first......TPM in college

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Captain_Typho, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Typho, dont worry...Star Wars is a space fantasy not science fiction...so your professor should love SW ;)

2. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    funny you say that. Yesterday in class we finished watching the film Shane and talked about the western genre afterwards and also how it has influenced other genres. My professor said these words exactly.

"You know one group of films that this influence can be found in, and I really like is the whole Star Wars."

end of quote.

Does this mean we can expect positive things out of him when TPM is shown in a couple weeks? Or was he just referring to the original trilogy? As I've said before, I hope he's fair to the film. Point out it's flaws but also point out what went right and why it's an important film.

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Well, if he thinks TPM is a steriotype film, I doubt he's a fan of it.

4. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Well from hearing how smart your professor is, I wouldn't listen to anything he says.

5. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    This Tue and Thu! Almost time folks! He said last Thu that we will be watching it as an example from the sci fi / mythological genre and will be talking about film hype and some of the elements that made the film economically succesful but why the film was not as succesful on an aesthetic level. We'll see...........

6. Ed-A_1978

Ed-A_1978 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    ^^^^^ So your teacher is going to spend a whole lesson saying how crap TPM is. I hope you stand up to him and tell him that some people ACTUALLY LIKE THE FRIGGIN MOVIE. I know that is what I would do.

7. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    Well, we watched it and got just to the end of the pod race today. As expected, the professor said some negative things about the movie and also commented about the hype and also mentioned the hard core Star Wars fan base that helped the film be financially successful. He didn't talk too much on it as he will probably go into greater detail AFTER we finish watching it on Thurs. It was fun to see this movie with a larghe audience again. Everyone laughed at Jar Jar but I think the laughing was due to how bad they thought the character was rather than the comedy Lucas intended to be there. My professor criticized the performers and Lucas, but more importantly, he critisized the script and I will agree with him on that aspect. If anything should be critisized, it needs to be the script. He did however say that the use of sound and music and special effects were astounding in the film and that he liked TPM more on a technical level than he did AOTC. He also said he likes the cinematography. He commented that "some of the views and shots set up in this film are wonderul" But like I said, he didn't have time to say much and I didn't open my mouth to talk back to him yet. I'm, guessing after we finish the film on thurs he'll say a few more words and the class will be able to comment on the film as well. Still, TPM in college, with a room full of about 25 people or so! It sort of felt like 99 all over again!

8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Meh. Kick your teacher in the jimmys and let him know he's just quoting a crappy critic.

9. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    Keep us updated, Typho. :)

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    So did he make you watch it in full screen?

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Meesa don't like foolscreen

[image=http://home.netvigator.com/~mofo/jar-jar_binks2.jpg]

12. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Come on...come on...when do we get an update? I've been on the edge of my seat waiting to learn more about this thread for weeks now!

13. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    For some academic discussion on Star Wars (specifically, AotC) take a look at the "Why was AOTC not loved by the public and media?" thread in the AotC section.

As for this... I think some film critics forget that they have a responsibility to do more than just give personal opinions about whether or not they like a film.

14. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    I wonder when Captain_Typho will finally return to this thread. He posts a lot elsewhere so he must have forgotten about us.

15. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Darth Mimic-- Finally found the thread you were talking about. You were being sarcastic, right?

16. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    No... I actually like the film.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Some the criticism of The Phantom Menace are valid and with merit.

18. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    Of course. But some is without merit. It all comes down to how you, as an informed (or uninformed) person view the film.

19. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Nah, that's not what I meant. I'm wading through lots of bashing in this thread, and I've gotten quite tired of it. Any word on what page the intelligent contribution to the introspective analysis of Star Wars begins on?

20. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    Here...

http://boards.theforce.net/Attack_of_the_Clones/b10001/17431258/p12

It's on p12. We start on post modern interpretation, which carries on for quite some time. And even though some of us disagree, we generally get along quite well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.