main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wendig and Aftermath - why the hate?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ZY-Fighter, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It wasn't the first new canon book...But it was the first post-ROTJ new canon book.

So it the first new canon book that replaced EU events (unless you count all the times the EU did that to itself).

vncredleader likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Actually, the first new canon book to replace EU events would have been Dark Disciple - which was also extremely divisive. Unlike Aftermath, I think it actually deserved the hatred in terms of the actual content (though that's more a subject for another thread), but nonetheless, I don't think the connection is a coincidence.

Edit: Although I don't think the BBL element was really present there, actually. Possibly because even in the old continuity the Clone Wars were already a mess of retcons.

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

It would've been better if the Bantam novels had left the issue of Luke and Leia's parentage alone. Just acknowledge they knew who their mother was, didn't name her, and left it at that.

Vialco likes this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

That's cool. I'm wondering if they just drew that picture based off of what they envisioned Natalie Portman might look like in the movie since it doesn't have any of that crazy make-up or costumes they made the character wear in TPM. '97/'98 would have been before the internet had yet to really take off so there might not have been very many leaked photos from the set around and they may not have known what Padme Amidala was going to look like yet when they made that comic.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    True story: That's one of Palo's paintings. It's in the imperial palace to troll Vader.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I love that SW Propaganda has Pablo arrested by the Imperials -- I bet it was at Vader's orders.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Freudian slip, much.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The bizarre thing is that I SAW my phone do that, and I fixed it. It must've re-autocorrected.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Chuck Wendig's trilogy was yearned for as the continuation of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewy. An extension of the OT. Plus a prelude to the ST. Instead Chuck Wendig with "Aftermath" paved the way into the ST with a bumpy kilt-like three-line-story, dotted with many throw-away characters like Gallius Rax, Hostis Ij or characters who remained OC-like and without leaving much impression. Sometimes while watching TFA I spot that dark-haired and dark-eyed FO-Soldier at Hux' ship, who is shouting something. And then I ask myself: Is he from "Aftermath"? Have I to know him? People expected big clusters of OT and ST, but got only tiny corns of both trilogies in "Aftermath". And that's what was bugging me too.

Counter likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Huttese 101 likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Ehhh, Gallius Rax destroyed the Empire, he's not exactly "throw away."

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  12. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I doubt that was Wendig's call to make; the new canon is clearly avoiding using Luke until the films reveal more of his circumstances, and it seems likely the Story Group dictated using original characters instead of the Big Three. Wendig himself has spoken of his desire to write a Luke story (hence the dedication to Luke S. in Empire's End), so he can't really be faulted for creating Not The Thrawn Trilogy. Presumably he made exactly the story he was hired to make, regardless of what fans expected. It took the old Expanded Universe fourteen years to get to Heir to the Empire; this need for all the answers right now is fortunately something the creators aren't bothering to indulge.

13. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Charlemagne,

When Rax was created in "Aftermath" just to die soon in "Empire's end" after Wendig did create a huge background-story for "Galli" just to kill him off later, how would you call it then? Rax acted for just one year. IMHO Gallius Rax is just like Dooku in EP. I and II.

BTW: Didn't you want to respond to my convo-question about the comic "Vindication" about Haazen and Dossa? I know, it has been a long time... ;)

14. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017

This. Plus the fact that Wendig's writing style is utterly jarring with his modern jargon and the fact that he has very little understanding of the Star Wars setting and the feel of the characters therein.

It just wasn't a good story or the right authorial fit for the NuCanon's alleged big post-ROTJ trilogy.

15. Counter

Mar 3, 2017

I think you may be overstating things a bit. Sure, Luke was likely off limits and for good reason, but there's no way that Wendig didn't have discretion to tell the story he wanted to tell. No one told him: "You will write this and you will like it."

No self-respecting author would operate like that.

That said, he most certainly can be faulted for falling far short in the trilogy that he wrote. I don't fault him for not being Zahn and those kind of comparisons are not especially useful anyway. I do fault him for telling a blah story in a writing style that was not conducive to the setting he was operating in with characters that were utterly forgettable.

Sudooku likes this.
  16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I wasn't suggesting he was being ordered what to write, but presumably the Story Group laid out their pitch to him; "Hey, we want a cool new novel to kick-start the new era, we're not really focusing on the Big Three just yet, because that'll tread on the toes of the upcoming films, but do what you want with an original cast and a bunch of established supporting characters too." I doubt he would have just turned in a Big Three-less manuscript and the Story Group just decided to roll with it.

Personally I thought the characters were great, and refreshingly down-to-earth, and the writing style made it feel immediate and new. "Forget the old way."

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    One thing James Luceno confirmed which plays into Chuck is the fact he was told that they were to drop all Star Wars-isms for clarity.

For example, Star Wars has BATHROOMS now instead of freshers.

:)

That stunned me when I realized it! OH THE HUMANITY!

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    And yet reports of the refresher's demise proved somewhat exaggerated on Rebels.

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    This statement makes me think you may not have even read any of the Aftermath books. People can say what they will about his writing style and that is all just personal tastes.

However one thing you can't really say about him is that he doesn't have an understanding of Star Wars and the feel of the characters. Wendig did not create the character of Sloane but he was spot on with her characterization after taking her over from A New Dawn and is the major reason Rae Sloane is such a popular character amongst the Expanded Universe fan base now.

He also incorporated many other characters and plot points introduced in other books and comics and brought them into the Aftermath series.

One thing you can't say about Wendig is that he doesn't know the Star Wars universe. He perhaps has done a better job researching the new canon than any other author that has written a book since the reboot of the EU.

20. Counter

Mar 3, 2017

I have all three copies sitting on my shelf (regrettably), so I don't quite understand why you would presume I'm lying simply because you have a different opinion than I do on the quality of Wendig's work. How juvenile.

You think he has a solid grasp of the Star Wars setting. I think he doesn't. And just because he was able to properly characterize someone who was in a previous novel does not in any way mean he's able to properly capture the feel of the setting. It just means he knows how to read John Jackson Miller's A New Dawn and can translate what he read into print accordingly.

His original characters are largely uninteresting, bland, one-dimensional, and lack the spark of the new characters found in other author's works.

21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    [/quote] It would've been better if the Bantam novels had left the issue of Luke and Leia's parentage alone. Just acknowledge they knew who their mother was, didn't name her, and left it at that.[/quote]

Well, we wouldn't have gotten Luke running around the Galaxy with a Fallanassi Adept for three books, searching in vain for the identity of his mother. How did Akanah know that ploy would work on him anyways?

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I have a lot more appreciation for Wendig when I realized where everything was going in Empire's End.

23. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    The Aftermath trilogy did a lot of much needed world building for the NU post-endor galaxy. Not going to lie, that's the primary reason I like the books.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I give it props for making me care about Jar Jar's fate.

BigAl6ft6, mnjedi and vncredleader like this.
  25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

You might just want to say then that you simply didn't like the trilogy. When you start trying to say that he doesn't understand Star Wars then that just makes your statements look a little silly. After all your definition of what Star Wars is likely isn't the same as what someone else's definition of what Star Wars is.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.