main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    First, I love your shirt Goodwood

So, small update from me. I'm currently suffering from full on Middle Child Syndrome. I am spending my second night on the couch at my mom's place. The original plan was to only spend one night, but my sister REALLY wanted to stay another, so I wasn't going to go home and spend christmas night alone. But guess who got the couch for the second night? The middle child who just so happens to BE THE TALLEST ONE. But I did go back and checked on my cat once we were finished dinner at the step family's.

The highlight of my holidays has been drinking scotch with my grandfather on Christmas Eve. He and my grandmother came over here and we had a ton of fun... AND alcohol. He turns 73 tomorrow and apparently wants us to go visit him. My poor liver :p

As for my haul, I got pretty boring stuff, mostly clothes and kitchen/house stuff. I can't complain because it's what I asked for. I also got a really cool hair dryer. It looks and functions like a barrel brush, but it's a hair dryer.

My half brothers got spoiled silly by their grandparents (we are talking 50" TV and a PS4, among other things). It happens every year. But my sister also got spoiled by her boyfriend (a kitchen aid mixer and a $300 cake decorating set, among other things). I'm not ungrateful for what I got, and I feel horrible for the way I feel, I just feel like the odd one out.

But maybe I'm just tired and cranky because I've got another night of sharing a couch with the world's meanest cat. And my blood sugar is probably high, but maybe some boxing-week shopping is warranted?

But it has been a very fun Christmas and I hope it was the same for all of you.

Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Briannakin: You just described my typical Christmases to a T: older-gen kid that gets to watch the younger siblings get lots of goodies (Jake my little brother who turns 21 on the 29th got a really nice ping-pong table). And yeah it sucks, but this time it was Jake and Alex (my little sister) who got me the webcam. It's gotten to the point that I was frankly glad of the excuse to leave early—not that I like being sick, of course.

Honestly, I prefer nuclear family Christmases to the extended family ones.

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm an only child and I never realised that I was a pampered little princess until my first nephew was born. Then it suddenly became all about him and I started feeling left out :p

The weather is absolutely gorgeous. Not so warm but gorgeous. The Chyntucks want to go for lunch in a taverna in Metaggitsi, but I've had too much food in the last 24 hours. So Mr Chyntuckopoulos and I are going to drive them there, and then we'll go and sit on a beach while they eat. *redefines "the pursuit of happiness"*

mavjade and Goodwood like this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My niece and nephews made out like bandits, and so did BroNar with the 2DS I got him. He got me a much-needed book on perspective drawing, and now he says he feels guilty because I got him the 2DS.

Eh, I wanted him to get one, so I made it happen and now we can battle and trade. So, it was somewhat a gift for myself as well.

Kahara likes this.
  5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I love my ice cream maker (I also have the Cuisinart). My only problem with it is we have a tiny freezer and since it's being shared by 4 people all of whom have their own food, I usually don't have room for the bowl in the freezer. When I lived by myself, it stayed in the freezer all the time and I used it all the time!

In my family I always get the couch because I'm the baby and the youngest has to get the couch (it might have also been because I was single for so long). But my entire family usually isn't home all at the same time anymore, so hopefully that won't be a problem anymore.
    I'm sorry you felt like the odd one out. :( That's not a very nice feeling.[:D]

My boyfriend got me a beautiful, black obsidian earrings and necklace from when we were in Mexico. (Somehow he got this without me noticing.)
    I also got: A book on the Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Alan Cumming's memoir Not My Father's Son
    My roommate made me a cross stitch of the OT cast
    A cute winter hat, wool socks and house slippers that look like crazy color coyboy boots
    And my parents gave me back the money I paid for the all inclusive resort we went to in Mexico, so basically I got a vacation from my parents. :)

Kahara, Briannakin , Goodwood and 2 others like this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am at Boy Scout Winter Camp. It is in cabins but my cabin smells funky. I hope there isn't any rats. I am here until Tuesday.

Kahara likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Have fun Jedi_lover :p

I'm back home. I'm back home, in my own bed. I had a nap, cuddled with my kitty (who isn't that pissed off at me), so I'm feeling much better. I've also been kinda bad and I've done some online boxing-day shopping (boxing day is Canada's version of Black Friday). In my defense, I've found some amazing deals. I just got $250 worth of clothing for $63. I figure, I'm a single woman, no one is going to spoil me, so if I can afford to spend some money on me, I'm going to do it.

mavjade , Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  8. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Jedi_Lover, I too hope it isn't rats. Probably just the accumulated odor of all the Boy Scout socks those cabins have housed.

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Goodwood like this.
  9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    This is most likely.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Just came back from spending 2 days with my 15 year old half brothers. I can confirm that teenage boys make places they stay smell funky.

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm starting to think that my circadian rhythm has been thrown off at a fundamental level. Each night it's an hour or two later before I'm tired enough to fall into bed, until a night like this hits where I'm still wide awake at 5 AM. At that point, I try to "reset" by canceling sleep and staying up all night, in hopes of crashing into bed earlier the next night. Usually that works somewhat, hitting the sack around midnight or so, but only temporarily; within a few days to a week or so, I'm back to the really late nights. It's like my body wants 26-hour days. If I try to force myself into bed before my body is ready, I eventually fall asleep early, but it's not a restful sleep as I wake up tired. I've been perpetually tired for a few weeks now. I don't know if this is just something in my mind that I need to overcome, or if it's something I need to see my doctor about.

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Doctor.

Trust me on this, I've been there.

Chyntuck, Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know of any good pictures of kiffar architecture? The only one I could find was this one
    [​IMG]

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You know what I got for Christmas? Nothing! So quit your complaining. Lol! I did get four Christmas cards. One from Falconfan, one from ginchy, one from my financial advisor and one from my niece.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I spent yesterday hauling wood down to the porch from the wood pile. Then today, I rolled logs down a hill, and then spent the afternoon splitting logs.

I'm pretty worn out.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Great, the heat went out in our cabin. If it gets too cold I'm going down the road and get a room at the Days Inn.

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. Wi-Phi

Wi-Phi Jedi Knight

May 25, 2014
    I'm not sure if I could ever live in a cabin. Being away from the bustling city for a prolonged period would probably make me a bit paranoid.

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I would dearly love to spend a week in the woods with friends. It would make for a really nice break from the usual routines, for sure, and I'd get to see the stars again if the night is clear and there's no moon.

Oh, and I've upgraded to Windows 7—time to install Dragon Age: Inquisition!

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  19. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I'll take this as proof I should call my grandmother more often. I gave her a call today to wish her a belated Merry Christmas (Mom had said she wasn't feeling well earlier in the week, so I waited to make sure she felt okay). We had a good chat, and during our talk she asked me about working. I haven't been working lately due to the combined reasons of not owning a vehicle and living in an area with no public transit, so that really hamstrings job hunting. Well, after she and I finished talking, I sat down and read through the job ads in my town's paper. I saw there was still an ad for entry-level jobs at the resort/tennis club that's just over a mile from me, so I created a profile and applied for two of the positions.

Not even 20 minutes later, I got a callback to schedule an interview.

Kahara, Gamiel, Chyntuck and 4 others like this.
  20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I would also love to spend time in a cabin with friends, but the only people I know here are my sons and they are not happy that I signed them up for winter Scout camp. Their Christmas wish was to spend their entire winter break playing Xbox. They are in a cabin full of teenage boys. I asked my oldest son if they played the Scrabble or Jenga game I bought him. He said, "No, I learned how to play poker." I think he said it was Texas Hold 'em or something like that.

jcgoble3, Goodwood and Findswoman like this.
  21. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I went skating yesterday with my church, and all today I've been sore :p Not to mention tired, I think I may have infected jcgoble3 with lack of sleep.

22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ice skating? 'Cause our church did that, too, about two weeks ago. Man, was that fun. But I'll agree with the sores. :D

Just got done accidentally watching the video my mom made for my graduation. I cried the first time I watched it (emotions were high at the graduation itself), but this time I just grinned like a stupid idiot. I have to say, thank God for a wonderful life. :)

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Just got back from my grandfather's birthday party. I had tones of fun eating good food and drinking with some of my cousins. There was actually only 6 of his grandchildren there, and 2 of his great grandkids, so my grandpa said he wants all 19 grandkids to attend his 75th birthday. I laughed. I think the last time he was with all of his grandkids was back when I was the youngest grandkid, and I'm the 7th oldest. So I think a family reunion may be in the works.

Kahara, Chyntuck and Goodwood like this.
  24. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    No Christmas presents exchanged at our house, because we don't celebrate Christmas anymore. It's not a religious thing, it just seemed pointless to celebrate a holiday that none of us believed in...plus it's my father's birthday, and I think he was getting jealous. :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Good morning!

Now that I recovered (mostly) from the shock, I can tell you guys and gals what Mr Chyntuckopoulos got me for Christmas. You know what a gimmel ring is? The two hoops that need to be combined to make a complete ring? Well, I got one of the hoops. I'll be getting the other one on 30 September 2015 because... (drumroll) we're getting married!

We've been in love since the age of 12 and living together since we were 18, so I thought that getting married really didn't matter, but right now I'm a mushy puddle of squee (or something along those lines, I don't know how to combine those words quite as effectively as Nyota's Heart and other mush experts on the boards :p)

Other than that, I've never been ice skating and I do like cabins in the woods, provided that no Boy Scouts left their socks behind.

Great news SabyneAmberle ! I'm crossing fingers for you.

And now back to our regular programming. There's a Chyntuck clan to be fed (btw we had a JC-themed dinner and breakfast with recipes borrowed from the foodies' thread) and there are fanfics to be written. Luckily the weather is still decent (albeit chilly) so we can throw the kids in the garden and enjoy some piece and quiet.

Have a nice day!

Ewok Poet, TrakNar, Goodwood and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.