main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It depends on who wants it and for what purpose.

Liquor was in abundance, especially wine, but stuff from overseas like rum would've been virtually impossible to get hold of unless it was pre-war stuff that had been hoarded. Getting that probably would've entailed selling two arms and a leg to whomever had it, however. As for tobacco, that would've also been quite difficult, especially from '41 to early '44, after the departure of the British Expeditionary Force and before the arrival of the AEF in Operation Neptune. During the Occupation, cigarettes were basically currency, a more reliable one than German-issued money to be sure, and was a soldier's go-to compensation for professional companionship.

Of course, take the above with a grain of salt, as this is based on extrapolations on what I know of life in Occupied Europe—which isn't that much.

Kahara likes this.
  2. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, that certainly sounds like a must-read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm back :) I just spent three days in Sifnos and the news from the wedding preparation front is: church, tick - hotel, tick - restaurants, tick - dragees, tick - basically all the organisation, tick, plus I got to spend several hours on the beach every day :cool:

And now, to find a dress, to find a dress... [face_nail_biting]

Sorry about your phone mavjade :( It's good you had a reasonably recent backup though -- at least you still have most of your contacts.
    From what I read of French WWII literature, cigarettes were worth their weight in gold. The resistance organisations had cigarettes parachuted from London because they were so difficult to find. I don't remember reading anything about rum in particular, but I would assume it would be difficult as well, since it was (and still is) produced in Guadeloupe and Martinique, which are far away and anyway went over to the Free French at some point during the war.

Seconded ++!

mavjade , Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is a Promethean: The Created game in the new World of Darkness, set in WWII France.

I am playing a French-Caribbean houngan (voodoo priest), or rather a former houngan turned Promethean who kept the faith, and he would like to have tobacco an liquor for his rituals.

So right now my character is rather stressed since the Nazis don't like black people and one of the other players character look like the Nazi ideal woman and is socially incompetent.

whiskers likes this.
  5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Last night, I finished the detailing on my plushie.

[​IMG]

Definitely one of my larger plushies. Perfect hugging size.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    I wish I could get in another World of Darkness game. I remember a couple of years ago when some ambitious GM ran about seven forum-based games for three different OWoD settings (Vampire, Werewolf and Hunter). I was playing in all three before the project apparently got too ambitious for him. They were all interconnected, too. My vampire character ended up fighting a member of my Werewolf character's pack.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I miss my days of forum RPG-ing, but I certainly don't miss the drama. One forum in particular was just crawling with god modders, and it really took the fun out of the game.

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Unfortunately, there will be drama everywhere and for every campaign. BroNar had recently dealt with drama in his RP group. I deal with the occasional drama in my campaigns. More often than not, the drama isn't due to god-moding Mary Sues. Yes, there are Mary Sue characters in campaigns, but the drama I've experienced generally stemmed from people not realizing that muse =/= mun.

I enjoy RPing and am still in campaigns. Drama won't drive me away because it's temporary.

Kahara likes this.
  9. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    We used dice (the forum had a built-in roller to minimize cheating), so there wasn't that much god moding going on.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have never played over forums.

My group have played oWoD's Werewolf* (I was a Get of Fenris), Vampire (Gangrel), Wright: the Great War, Mage and d6 Star Wars (I was GM) and is planning to do a Gumshoe game inspired by Gotham Central where we play normal police officers in a world with superheroes.

* You know, I would really like to know what the WoD people was thinking when they decided to have only three tribes come from north America and ONE from Asia while the British islands have two.

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    In this saga of "dumb things we do" Briannakin goes to the bank without her wallet. Thankfully I realized before I got in there, but it also means I was driving around without my license which is kinda REALLY bad. I got home without incident, but now I really don't want to go back out. Yet I have a dinner-date with one of my teachers from high school.

EDIT: Seriously, what is with me today? I went to dinner, came back home, I had a bit of a headache so I laid down and now for the life of me I can't find my glasses. Thankfully I have an old pair, but now it's really bugging me where my glasses are. My apartment isn't that big.

jcgoble3 and Kahara like this.
  12. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Oh, hey, I also have a "dumb things we do" entry.

Yesterday I was buying clothes, and when I got to the cashier to pay for them, I forgot my PIN and ended up having to pay with my parents' credit card (which I'm only supposed to use for emergencies, buying textbooks, etc). I rarely use my debit card, since I mostly buy stuff online or in cash, so I honestly blanked out.

Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    This week has kind of been a lesson in why one takes their diuretic as prescribed... because if they're an elderly person and they already have a heart condition, and they DON'T take the silly thing, it could land them in the hospital for an extended stay. Which is how one of my grandmothers landed in the hospital a week ago... she's fine. Just really embarrassed now. Still there, now for other reasons, but... yeah.

14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    In the category of "oh crap, I forgot":

A few weeks ago, I helped my dad set up a new Windows 8.1 computer. During the initial setup process, Windows asked me to turn on Windows Update and put it on the "recommended" setting of full automatic. I selected "not now", planning to set it up later once the system was fully up and running (and also because full automatic is not recommended by any serious tech geeks that I am aware of, due to various problems that can occur, and the other options were not offered during initial setup).

This evening, I went to show my dad a quirk of Windows 8.1, so I brought up the Control Panel and went into Windows Update. I was promptly greeted by a huge red error message warning that Windows Update had not been set up yet. Oops. [face_blush] I quickly finished setting it up and performed a check for updates. It found 132 updates to install totaling about 1.2 gigabytes. 8-} Took six hours to download and install all of them. So that was my evening tonight.

Are you sure you didn't leave them at the restaurant? I've nearly done that dozens of times, because I take my glasses off as soon as I sit down since they are for long-distance vision only (my eyes begin to hurt if I try to do anything close-up with them on for more than 10 to 15 minutes).

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. A few weeks ago, my mother sent me out with my step-father's debit card to get some stuff for her. She told me the PIN before I left and she was like "you'd better remember it." I didn't. I ended up having to use my own.

I hope your grandmother gets well soon Daena.

So, like I mentioned, I went out for dinner with my teacher (actually she was my reader/scribe all throughout high school). It was great to catch up, but she was going on this huge list of all my teachers who have since either retired or moved to a different school. I counted only 5 of my teachers who are still teaching there. It made me feel REALLY OLD to know most of my teachers have retired. I've only been out of there for 4 years. She tried to convince me to come back to visit. I'm like, so I can see 5 people, 1 of whom I see every other week when I hang out with his son?

No, I'm positive because I need them to drive.

skygawker and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    jcgoble3 It takes you six hours to download 1.21 jigawatts gigabytes? You guys must be dial-up dinosaurs or something; it takes me somewhere around ten minutes to download that much, and that's on a slow day.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    LOL at the BTTF reference. :p

Actually no, the download, by itself, only took about an hour (we have the lowest-level service from AT&T U-verse, which is about 3 Mbps download). The rest of the time was installation. It was the cheapest system available at Walmart, so the processing power leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to large tasks like this. However, he mostly only uses it for web browsing, Solitaire, and light Photoshop work.

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Ah, that explains it. U-verse is horrible, I don't know why people use it. Of course, having your communications services all bundled together is basically akin to asking to be screwed over by whatever telecomm company has you by the...well, over a barrel. :p

Also, there's a sneakybollocks BTTF reference along the same lines in Mass Effect 2, during Legion's loyalty mission... ;)

19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Actually, we do:
    [​IMG]
    [face_devil]

Briannakin Did you check the top of your head? One of my specialties is looking for my glasses for what feels like hours, only to realise that... yeah, you get the point.

Goodwood 1.2 gigabytes in 10 minutes is επιστημονική φαντασία (science-fiction, but only in Greek it seems!)

Kahara, JadeLotus, mavjade and 4 others like this.
  20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    We don't have anything bundled. We have internet through AT&T U-verse*, phone service through AT&T with a traditional landline (non-U-verse, so we get separate bills for each), and pay TV through DirecTV.

*We have U-verse because the only other choice in our area for high-speed internet without ridiculously low data caps is Time Warner Cable, which has screwed us over enough in the past that we will never use them again. Also because our first high-speed internet was AT&T DSL back in 2008, which we stuck with through fall 2013 when AT&T discontinued DSL service in our area and forced us to switch to U-verse.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Brb. Going to Greece :p

Found my glasses. No, they weren't on my head. They were in my medicine cabinet. Now I want to know what I took for my headache to make me put them in there 8-}

Also, you poor people and your slow internet. Since moving out, my sister and I decided to get the fastest internet we could buy (since we don't have cable or landlines). Our download speed is around 18-20 mbps. Life is good in the Arctic tundra.

22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Mine is 4 Mbps because, in the centre of a kriffin European capital, we "don't have the possibilities" for an optical cable.

So, yeah, we don't have the tundra, the sea and the optical cable (in this building, that is); but err...we have everything else. Whatever that means.

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Come, come! We have cookies, beaches, and (for the time being) euros :p

Findswoman , Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Just made this Hypno variation.
    [​IMG]

Belly Dancer (+ Medicham)
    Average height: 4'03"

These small, lithe Hypno are bred for their flexibility. Used mostly for performing arts and contests, the Belly Dancer is known for its hypnotic abdominal gyrations.

Kahara, Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, diuretics are very important. People who forget to take them usually end up being a patient of mine, so I see it pretty often, tell her not to be embarrassed, it happens. Glad she's okay! [:D]

Glad things are going well Chyntuck That picture is beautiful! Greece is on my 'sooner rather than later' list of places to vist. It was almost this year, but we already went to Celebration and the cost to get to Greece was a little more than we wanted to spend. Maybe next year!

On the topic of being landlocked, I lived in a landlocked state for so long, now that I do live close to the coast(and have for almost 4 years), I forget that it's not really far to the beach. 8-}

DaenaBenjen42, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.