main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I have no idea why so many people have thought my accent sounds North Dakotan or Canadian when I'm from deep South Texas. :confused: That's my Tex-Mex accent, LOL.

I love being able to roll my Rs. :p

2. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Briannakin Glad you're still here and all right (safe in one piece) and did not go out and encounter the bears last night.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    DAAAAAAAAAAAA BEARSSSSSSSSS!

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    RAWWRR.

No bears so far tonight, but we were asked to keep our garbage can in our garage for the next week or so. But there are some motion-sensor lights outside my door. I'm thinking I may replace the bulbs so, ya know, I know if there's a bear out there so I don't get eaten by it.

Edit: So my friend just texted me. Today he finally passed his road test... on his 3rd try :p I told him. "You know if I pass on my 1st, or even 2nd try, I am NEVER going to let you forget it." He replied "yeah, I know, and I hope you fail miserably every time you try to take it." Gotta love friends like that.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I passed my driving test back in the day only on my second try. The first time through I had forgotten to yield right-of-way properly before a left turn. At the time I was annoyed by it because the testing station wasn't close to home & it was a headache getting to and from there, but the thing is, it's really is quite common not to pass on the first try and nothing at all to be ashamed of. In fact, I think some driving instructors purposefully set things up that way...

Glad you're safe from the bears, though!

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Friday morning in the office. Slow, slow day, the weather is lovely and you can tell that for most people the weekend is already here. Everyone seems to be thinking of the beach they'll be sitting on tomorrow.

[face_rofl] The bear thing is awesome though. In Athens law school (a.k.a. "concrete and pollution land"), the most exciting thing we ever got to see was a pigeon, or, I should say, a rat with wings.

Galaktoboureko, Findswoman? You're the adventurous type. I never tried to make that, I guess your kitchen looked like a battlefield after you were done. If you like stuffed vine leaves, you should try stuffed zucchini flowers, it's even better. The only thing is that it's really a seasonal dish, because you can't preserve the flowers, but since you have a vegetable garden, you shouldn't have a problem ;)

Accents in English... Gosh. The Grrrrrreek in me is hiding underrrrr the table.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    We have the usual deer signs, and tractor signs, and Amish buggy signs here.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I am terrible at accents, except by accident. If I'm talking to someone with a strong accent, I usually end up emulating them... I don't mean to and usually don't notice it right away. I always feel bad because I don't want them to think I'm making fun or being rude, I can't help it. [face_blush]
    I once had a boss who was Australian and it happened all the time. Luckily he just thought it was funny.

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, I do precisely that when around folks with accents of their own, particularly accents of places where I'd love to go and visit forever for a month or two.

10. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Just finished the Ninth Doctor. I hate short seasons, gotta say.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The next two Doctor's have 3 season's each with a couple specials to go with them.

12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, it's not that uncommon here to fail on your first try. Nearly all my friends did, but most of them got it on their 2nd try. My sister almost ran over a guy on a bike on her 1st try (it would have been his fault if she did, but she didn't avoid him the 'correct' way so she failed). I think it's usually a combination of nerves, and some driving testers liking to knock some of the cockiness out of some kids.

I myself don't mind the 13 episode setup of most British shows because the specials are usually awesome. This Christmas shall be awesome: we get a Doctor Who special AND a Sherlock special. I'm already more excited for that than presents :p

13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I almost pity the poor sod who got my dare... ;)

14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Me too. :p

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I passed my driving test on the first try. However, I suspect the examiner went easy on me because the mandatory waiting period between test attempts was seven days and my permit, which cannot be renewed in Ohio, was scheduled to expire in just two days, so if I had failed I would have had to start all over with a new written test and a new permit.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My dare was easy. Hopefully whoever got my dare likes it.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Youch. That would have sucked. I'm glad they passed you. Part of the reason why I decided to take lessons was if my learner's permit expires (which it does next summer) I have to start all over again with the medical examination. Do NOT want!!!

Speaking of suckage, my driving lesson got canceled today because the car that I normally use (a Tiguan) broke down and neither me nor the instructor think the foot positioning in the Volkswagen Golf will be right for me. I'll probably have 2 lessons next week now. Ah well, more time to procrastinate writing my pirate essay. Yaaaaaarrrrr.

The dares were not nearly as evil as they were a few years ago at "the height of Fanfiction" here.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My dare was more evil than the one I got, so I'm going to add more to the dare I got to make it more evil.

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sorry about the cancellation of your driving lesson, Bri. What an annoyance! :(

So how many people in all are participating in the dares challenge? Does it pretty much consist just of those who responded to the thread, or are there others, too?

(And are we no longer at "the height of Fanfiction"?)

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It is rather annoying. Yesterday he asked if we could move it to 3:15 and I felt bad that I had to say no (I had to bribe my mom Wednesday night to leave work early today so she could drive me to pay the utility bill... which is due today). But I guess it really doesn't matter now.

We have 6 people participating in the dare challenge this year.

And IMO, Fanfic here used to be A LOT more popular in like 2009/10/11. Last time the Dare challenge was hosted in 2011, I'm not sure how many people sighed up, but at the end there were 12 completed dares. Before the move there used to be 4 mods. Now we have 2. IMO, Fanfic suffered A LOT of casualties from the MOVE of 2012. Just look at the awards. They used to be A HUGE DEAL that the mods were not allowed to be a part of. Last awards Mav and I did everything. But we are hoping for a reemergence of new writers and readers with the new movies.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Okay, I've added so much more to the dare I got that I'm going to draw fan art and watch some cartoons. Haven't figured out a plot, yet, and I'm tempted to just lift one from an episode of Ren & Stimpy. The plot isn't an important factor in the dare, anyway.

*Rips out stop signs*

YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So I'm kind of dreading next week. About a month and a half ago, four days before the shooting in Ferguson, Missouri that triggered riots, there was a similar police shooting near me in Beavercreek, Ohio. In this one, a black man was shot inside Walmart by white cops, after he reportedly was waving around an "assault rifle". It turned out to be a BB gun that that Walmart sells, but having seen pictures of the thing, it looks like an assault rifle and could easily be mistaken for one in the heat of the situation.

Protests and demonstrations up to this point have all been peaceful in nature, thanks to the Beavercreek police chief (who, by the way, happens to be my uncle) immediately arranging an outside review of the situation by the Ohio Attorney General's office. However, that review is now complete, and the AG will be presenting his findings to a grand jury beginning Monday. And not only are protest groups upset that the security camera videos haven't been released yet (the AG says releasing them at this point would pollute the minds of potential jurors and prevent a fair trial), but Rev. Al Sharpton has now demanded the release of the videotapes. :rolleyes: To top it off, the victim's family is pushing for the Ohio AG, who is white and a Republican, to be removed from the case and replaced with the U.S. Attorney General, who is black and a Democrat. Nope, no racial or political motivations in that demand. :rolleyes:

Where this affects me is that the county courthouse where the grand jury proceedings are going to be held is in the next town over, Xenia, which is where I live. It's already been announced that there are going to be protests around the courthouse, and the city is preparing for the possibility of riots. They've reportedly hired extra staff to spend this weekend removing everything from downtown that isn't bolted down: sticks, stones, trash cans, etc., in an effort to eliminate as many potential weapons as possible. The courthouse is in the center of town, and I live out on the extreme edge of town, but it's not that big of a town (I'm only about two miles from downtown), and the edge I live on is the edge closest to Beavercreek. I'm hoping I don't get caught up in anything. I'll also need to find new places to eat, probably out of town, for a few days, since my usual places to eat are a stone's throw from the courthouse.

23. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    ^ Ouch... Only way that could get worse would be if you got a Juror duty summons.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yikes. I hope it remains civil. Maybe stock up on some good food so you don't have to go out to eat?

I'm taking my mom out for dinner after she takes me to city hall to pay my bill. Still have yet to start my essay. I think I have a problem with procrastinating. On the plus side, I got a plan for what I'm going to say. That's one of the hardest parts.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Jury duty summonses here come about three to four weeks before the date, so if I was going to get one, I'd have already received it by now. Even if I had gotten one, I highly doubt I'd be seated on the grand jury anyway, since as I said, the Beavercreek police chief is my uncle. I'd likely be disqualified pretty fast.

Stocking up on food sounds like a good idea. I may do that this weekend. I also have a few options to eat out within walking distance at my end of town, and some to the southwest of me, away from both Beavercreek and downtown Xenia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.