main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Al Sharpton has been so out-of-touch with things for a great many years now that it's hardly any wonder he's making waves for the sake of it.

That said, I hope things don't blow up like in Ferguson, but that area of Missouri has a long history of the white minority oppressing the black majority that has been brewing for decades. It's not really surprising that things escalated as they did. I don't know about your area of Ohio, though.

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Whites are in the majority here, and race issues aren't really a concern normally. Back when Brown v. Board hit, some schools in the area were segregated and some weren't. There's even at least one Underground Railroad stop nearby. So the area in general has rarely had race-related problems, and that's probably (and thankfully) contributed to having peaceful protests so far instead of violent riots.

3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well... I'm from Nebraska, and the nearest city is Omaha. They had an incident recently where the Omaha Police Department got involved in a shooting incident similar to what you described. An African American was holding up an Wendy's armed with an Airsoft pistol. They opened fire, killed him, and injured a member of the COPS film crew that was in the Wendy's.

I'm starting to think the police are far to quick to start shooting these days.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    DO WHAT YOU WANT BECAUSE A PIRATE IS FREE

YOU ARE A PIRATE

[​IMG]

I have nothing to add to local shootings. Some survivalist shot Pennsylvania State Troopers this week. So, here's me with an eyepatch and my katana in lieu of a pirate cutlass.

Yarr.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

While the move certainly didn't help, I don't think it really had all that much to do with it, things were falling off long before that. When I started around here the was a resource thread for every major character and every major ship and they all had challenges and discussions that were going on all the time. Stories when they were divided by era on the boards would fall off the first page within hours sometimes. Things were still pretty popular in 09/10, but I think that's really when it started to be less popular. I do think it has to do with lack of material, there has been the EU but that's never going to be as popular as movies.

Bri and I do try to get people to participate in things, but there's only so much we can do.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    mavjade and Briannakin, from what I've seen, I think you two do an excellent job of drumming up participation on this forum, and I especially appreciate how you've made it such a welcoming place for us newer folks. I just wish I could be more responsive and participatory myself; the dare challenge looked incredibly fun and I seriously considered signing up, but it just wouldn't work out well with all the RL hustle and bustle coming up in my next few weeks (and "Edited" ate up more of my time and energy than anticipated). Next time, though. I plan to keep my eyes

Absolutely magnificent Indian summer in progress here today. Clear skies, sunshine, a pleasant breeze—the works. Spent a whole wad of time outside with the men because at this time of year one can never count on such weather coming back.

And tonight the little guy asked me what "libido" meant. :eek:

Gemma, mavjade and Chyntuck like this.
  7. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Fanfic is dying because YodaKenobi is AWOL.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    So I just got back from the Arby's downtown. Talking to the employees, I found out that a police officer was in the store earlier today, talking to them about how to handle the protests and how to handle a potential riot. There's also people going around with two-wheeled hand carts picking up anything that could be thrown. Apparently Xenia police have a plan to keep things under control; I just hope it works.

Also, the 911 caller changed his story a few days ago, claiming that he never saw a gun being waved around at all. Now there are rumors coming out that somebody threatened to kill him and his family unless he shut up about the gun. I just wish this whole situation would hurry up and get over with.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ahaha. Irony. My family just got finished watching the movie Captain Blood. :p

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Revanfan1 and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It feels good to relax my style every now and then.

Have some FNaF character designs.

[​IMG]

Goodwood and Findswoman like this.
  12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    True. I found this place in mid-2010, so I can only really compare it to that, but IIRC, most of the index threads for the major characters/ships had died down, but there was still lots of participation. And I do recall the days of, even though there were separate eras, a fic might be on the 2nd page within hours.

Went out for dinner with my mom and sister. It was happy hour so I decided to get a drink. Didn't even get ID'ed. Drinking age is 19 here, I'm 21, but you have to ID everyone that looks under 25. I'm not sure whether to be happy, or depressed about it.

13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Congratulations, Briannakin! You officially look like a mature adult. Whether you actually choose to become a mature adult is up to you. :p

Goodwood and Gemma like this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Lol. I guess that is what it means. Even though I might look like one tonight, I'm not going to be one. A mature adult would stop procrastinating and start this essay, but I'm not going to do that.

But tomorrow, I swear, I will start it.

Gemma and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Time to get out my sketchbook and draw more cartoons!

16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Lazy Saturday. Beach in the morning. Late lunch at my mum's. Coffee on the veranda. Siesta. In bed with a book while dinner gets ready on its own (bless than man). And then the ultimate luxury, Saturday night at home. Bliss. :cool:

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My oldest son gave me his cold. Ugh! I haven't had a cold in years. This sucks!

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, my FNaF character designs hit 308 likes and reblogs on Tumblr. Last night, while I was watching a video, it went from 6 to 92, and as I was telling someone about it, it jumped to 107. When I went to bed, it was at 207 or something.

I guess people really liked my Hanna-Barbera designs.

Goodwood likes this.
  19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, not only is your work awesome and you meet the style quite well, but FNaF is riding high right now; you're surfing the crest of that wave's popularity.

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I got to deliver a (fake) baby today. It was on one of those simulator dummies that breathes, talks, bleeds, you can feel a pulse... she had contractions, pushed and everything.
    In my normal, everyday job I would never have to be anywhere near the delivering end (Respiratory Therapist usually say we only get involved if it's from the diaphragm up) but on the disaster team, sometimes you have to help with something that might be out of your scope of practice, so there I was, delivering a baby.

Hope you feel better soon, J_L!

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    THE FEELS!

mavjade Sounds like a delivery droid... hahaha :D

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My foot is sore. Rain must be on the way. I still can't move my pinky toe without pain.

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    We got soaked today, so you'll probably get it tomorrow.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    In the meantime, I shall start construction of Bonnie's head.

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Congratulations Mav, on your first delivery :p What was it's name? Guri? I've seen those simulator dummies on youtube videos (it was research for a fic - YKYAFFWW...). They are creepy... yet interesting.

I've spent most of today on my "reading response" paper. I'm half way through the word count, but I'm not even finished my 2nd paragraph, and I don't even have an introduction (... or a thesis). I kinda just want to smash my head into a wall. On the plus side, I just got an extra few hours to work on it. It is due Tuesday evening, but I had plans (and a driving lesson) Tuesday afternoon, but both got canceled. I'm not even disappointed. I'm contemplating calling it a day, my muse is calling me to a fic, but I'm going to try to get more done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.