main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    "Call the midwife..." and her name is mavjade! :cool: Definitely sounds like a fascinating experience, though I must say that dummy does indeed sound a little creepy... but in your job I expect you've dealt things like that before. How long did the whole thing last, and what did you consider the hardest and easiest parts of the process? (Sorry, I find stuff like this fascinating. :D )

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Speaking of robots, my brother and I have been working on a thing...

[​IMG]

Cardboard, duct tape, packing pillows, bubble wrap, elastic, and we're not even done with the head. That's just half of it.

Chyntuck and Goodwood like this.
  3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Oh Trak, that's just meme-tastic!

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    There's still a lot to do, such as bringing out the brow some more in order to deepen the eye sockets. Also, need to build the back half of the head and figure out how it'll be attached. I also need to add more elastic to the jaw so that it doesn't hang open so much.

And then there's the problem of how the hell to see while wearing it. Bonnie might end up just being a prop.

5. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    A micro-camera in one of the eyes leading to a small LCD monitor in the upper chest cavity?

6. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Spent all day Saturday in class for a workshop and surprised my father who thought it was half a day... and it's two days, so I get to sit through another eight hours next Saturday on Children and Relationships. :)

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011

We're not wealthy enough to have cool toys like that. Keep in mind that Bonnie's head was made out of duct tape and trash that we had lying around. Boxes, packing materials, plastic bags...

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've just got back from holiday! Didja miss me? :D

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

My mom asked me the same thing, lol. We were too busy trying to fix the mom's eclampsia to name the baby. ;) Yeah, they can be pretty creepy, but are a useful tool in learning without practicing on real people.

Ba ha ha... if it were a real baby I was delivering I would have been freaking out.
    Yeah, I've used simulator dummies quite a few times now, but they still are creepy. The whole simulation only lasted maybe 15-20 minutes... I was nervous so my since of time was pretty skewed. One of the hardest part about it is the instructors aren't going to make it easy on you (as that would defeat the purpose) in my case they gave the dummy mother eclampsia so the she started seizing as I was pulling the baby out. But you aren't alone, there are other people doing the simulation with you... medicine is almost always a group effort in cases like that.

Another thing that is hard has nothing to do with it being an obstetric emergency simulation, but is always the hardest part of a simulation for me. As a respiratory therapist when I see a patient in the hospital/medical situation, I've done an assessment within the first 10 seconds... what is their color, what is the look in their eyes, what is their breathing pattern, how are they sitting/standing/laying, etc. These things tell me a lot about what is going on and what I might need to do and a dummy always has the same color, look in their eyes, etc. so a BIG part of my assessment isn't there and it makes it hard.

The easiest part was I wasn't worried about killing a real baby. ;) But it was easier that I thought it would be to get the baby out, once the shoulders come out, you just pull up toward mom and out it comes. :)

Welcome back moosemousse! Go anywhere fun?

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Again? :cool:

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I need a holiday. :p

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm drawing pudgy Drowzee. Much squish face. ( °3°)

13. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Reposting in the correct thread :p:

I just got attacked by an evil plot bunny, and as a result I now have a perfect dare for the dare challenge. Of course, it's too late for that at this point, and I wouldn't likely have time to write the dare that would have been sent to me anyway. So I'll save it for next year, assuming we do the dare challenge again. [face_devil]

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I was away when the dare challenge started. Will have one for the next. And yesterday I ran from Amsterdam to Zaandam in the 10 miles Dam to Dam race

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    If we do it next year we will try to remember to hold sign ups open for longer. Challenges are always funner with more people!

Wow. 10 miles? Congrats.

There's a Canadian joke that goes something like, if you run 20 kms in Europe, you are in another country, if you run 20 kms in America, you are in another town, but if you run 20kms in Canada, you aren't even out of your driveway. (I probably got it wrong, I fail at remembering jokes).

Also, I am so freaking pissed off. At the beginning of September, for like 3 days, it was really darn cold here, so I went to a discount store and found a really nice fall/spring long, black, fleece Bench coat for $80 (normally they are like $250 and there was only one in my size, I needed it as I didn't have a coat, so I didn't think twice about getting it). It has since gotten really warm here (like, I've been wearing sun dresses) so I haven't had to wear it again (though I will). BUT NOW Zulily has some BEAUTIFUL Steve Madden wool trench coats with big hoods (my coat doesn't have a hood) for $93. I really want one, because I've wanted a wool trench coat for awhile, but I can't, not after buying the Bench coat. I need a winter coat, but by the looks of the pics, they aren't much thicker than my Bench one. UGH. I guess the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, don't worry... we'll do the Dare Challenge again. :)

I saw those coats on Zulilly too... I just bought a middle weight coat a month or so ago so I don't need a new one, but they do look nice. The coat I bought was designed after Assassin's Creed, it's pretty awesome but I haven't gotten to wear it yet. :( It started to get cool and then yesterday it was 80 degrees. [face_plain]

17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, please do! And I hope to goodness we won't have to wait all the way till next year! :eek:

I saw the Steve Madden Zulily event too; they looked wonderful, but I passed because I'm pretty much fine on coats at the moment, and I'd also just bought some other totally outrageous pieces of clothing (harem pants and a long cardigan) from their Flying Tomato event of the previous offer e-mail or so.

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Here's a Daily Distraction video that anyone can enjoy!

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    It just continues my love/hate relationship with Zulily, because I was keeping my eye on that site for a fall coat before it got cold. But it's probably for the best. I have LONG monkey arms, so I'm always wary about buying coats online. Coats like that often don't pass the arm test and having sleeves on a coat that ride up to your elbows when you bend your arms is never fun. I suffered a few winters from too short sleeves.

I haven't even had my first class yet and I already want a nap. Last night was just one of those nights, I just could not get to sleep and my cat was being very annoying. I have like less than an hour left do do on my essay and I just have that feeling it's just not going to get done. Nothing is going to get done.

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Yes! I went to the Isle of Wight and explored as much of the island as I could. Highlights included a dinosaur museum, a zoo, and a castle! :D

I'm not sure if that's the good kind of 'missed' or the bad. :(

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I want to go to the UK some time. It would make for a grand holiday.

22. Lunarcat

Lunarcat Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2014
    Yeah, England is fun! I wen to the london zoo when I was there. They had cute otters!

My favorite part to visit is Cornwall though. Ahh cornish clotted cream... What I wouldn't give...

PS. What is this Dare I've been hearing about? Did I miss it?

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The Dare Challenge, here in the Resource forum. It is indeed too late to get in on it this time around. :(

24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    "Again" applied to you being on holiday, not to missing you - of course we did! <3 I just thought you'd already been to the Isle of Wight, and that because you were on a scooter you hadn't brought half a boar.

Speaking of half a boar, here's season 1, episode 3: we looked up boar recipes on the web and found one with honey and raisins that sounds promising. We'll cook it this weekend and will let you know.

BTW, since some of us keep asking about food in the "Fanfic Ask Me Anything" thread, I think Nyota's Heart, Gamiel, Findswoman and I should start a foodies' thread. We can call it "Tomo-spiced karkana ribenes" and ask people to post about recipes, good restaurants, decadent sweets and other useful food stuff. That would go in JCC, right?

Oh, and, about winter coats. I have no clue what you're talking about, the summer came back with a vengeance today :p

Findswoman likes this.
  25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Sounds like fun! :)

I can't say I've ever had boar, I bet it's pretty good though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.