main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Goodwood, I believe she was referring to what Jedi_Lover said about the cheese, not to what she herself was eating.

DaenaBenjen42, what part of Northern California are you in? I lived in the SF Bay Area for several years (which is at least sort of NorCal, I guess).

Chyntuck, you're very kind. :) I do indeed feel quite lucky to have ended up with the job I have (even if work-life-scholarship balance gets a little difficult sometimes). The sung parts of my paper consist of just a few little excerpts of about 20 seconds each. I've performed music for my conference papers a number of times now, both live and recorded (once I recorded myself singing both parts of a two-voice piece), and with and without self-accompaniment. More music examples means one needs less actual spoken text. :D On which topic, I printed out one more piece that I might sing and practiced it a little today; it's some chant that's very much along the lines of Hildegard of Bingen, even though it's not by her.

And on the topic of bug infestations, we have our own going on right here: mosquitoes, and tons of them. Not even sure why, since it hasn't been all that rainy or anything. It makes our customary evening walks a bit difficult. :( We get small brown spiders from time to time, mostly in the basement, and I typically just let them alone because they do a fine job eliminating some of the less pleasant crawlies.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Indeed it was in reference to J_L and the cheese.

And when I went to start my laundry, I found four large wolf spiders all hanging around the door. One of them crawled into the laundry room and went behind a dryer.

3. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    [face_rofl]

Sorry - as someone who's suffered through lactose intolerance to various degrees in my life, this is just ROTFL-worthy. [face_laugh]

*ahem* I'll settle down now. :p

TrakNar likes this.
  4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Well duh, Findswoman and TrakNar. Constipation is no laughing matter...though I can't exactly speak on that since I've never had any problems in that realm.

Lucky me I guess. ;)

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    ANYWAYS!

(This is a not so discreet Mod suggestion to move the conversation elsewhere before this gets too in depth of a conversation).

6. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Hence my original TMI comment, Bri... :p

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yesterday, bugs. Today, poop. Is there something going on that I should know about?

Good morning!

This is my favourite time of the day - early morning in the office when no one else is in yet, and I get to potter around and catch up on the night's conversation here. Okay, there was that bit about video cards that's Hebrew to me, but we can all pretend it's just because I'm not quite awake yet.

moosemousse, I'd love to see your holiday videos. From the Isle of Wight, right? They say it's an amazingly beautiful place.

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yes. Insects invade your home while you eat a block of cheese.

And here's one of my Hypno's family tree.
    [​IMG]

DrSmoothLove is my Ditto. I use it to get the opposite sex. Then I use the new breeding pair and breed for Nature and certain stats. Most of my Pokemon are inbred. Pokemon breeding is squicky.

9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    One thing I really enjoy about the FFAMA thread (and these forums in general) is that I learn all sorts of stuff. I'd never even heard about tamales before, I looked it up and now of course I want to try it. Slurp.

ThreadSketch and Findswoman like this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Good morning, all. I too love the early morning office quiet and I wish I could bring myself to get in earlier so I can enjoy more of it (and just be more productive all around), but unfortunately my 3-a.m. insomnia seems to be returning, which means my body keeps wanting to sleep in even when I don't want it to. :(

TrakNar, if one thinks of them like rabbits or meerkats or something along those lines, does that help mitigate the squick factor?

Chyntuck, not to worry, the graphic card stuff was pretty much... Phoenician to me, too. I just stick with my MacBook Pro's pretty Retina display, but I know the super high performance graphics do come in handy for gaming.

Incidentally, an observation I meant to make in my previous post: It seems several of us here have cute nicknames that we use for our mates when discussing them here on the boards. I have the Findshusband, Raissa Baiard has Mr. Baiard, and now there's Mr. Chyntuckopoulos too! :D

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    That totally made me think of this scene. Mmm...64 slices of American cheese!

[​IMG]

*goes back to studying*

TrakNar likes this.
  12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I should give my brother a cute nickname. Usually, I just use his Ringman username. Otherwise, I can't really think of anything. TrakBro? BroNar?

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'd go with BroNar.

So I did my highway drive today! It went really well! However, it was super stressful (I hate changing lanes!). Now I have my 3 hour evening class, a quiz tomorrow that I have to study for, a date tomorrow that I'm kinda freaking about (he's a uber nice guy) and all I want to do is lay in bed and write angsty fics :(

14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014

Go to the date, don't freak out and leave the angsty fic writing for some other time

Seriously. You have to spell it out for young people nowadays. :p

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Good Luck on your quiz and your date Briannakin!

I love it when people use their screen name in some way to refer to their significant other... Adorbs!

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My nickname for my significant other is not TOS compliant.

Gemma, Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and 3 others like this.
  17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The BroNar might be coming over again this weekend, so we'll be working on Halloween stuff. He's working on convincing his wife to let me come to the party, because she wants my decorations, but she doesn't want to invite me. Only her friends and her family are important. She wants nothing to do with ours. So, the BroNar (that sounds so weird) is going to tell her flat-out that he wants me to come over. If I can't come, they won't have the party. That's that.

He's quite frankly tired of her bull.

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Sorry to hear about that, Trak. I hope the BroNar (hee-hee, that does sound weird, but fun) succeeds in getting you an invite, but at least if he doesn't he'll be able to put his foot down.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've made it perfectly clear that if anyone wants to borrow my severed heads, I'm coming with them. I've acquired these decorations myself over the years and I'll lend them out, but I'd like to come with them if they're being used for a party or something. Especially since I make decorations and props.

And I haven't been to a decent Halloween party in forever. And the business of BroNar's wife writing off our family needs to stop. Yes, I know I'm the black sheep of the family. I'm not that bad, however. What does BroNar's wife think I'll do? That I'll somehow ruin her party by being there?

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am thinking about going to a haunted house this year...maybe. I am reluctant because eight teenagers died in the last haunted house I visited. There was a fire that burned down the house with people inside. It was only a few days after my best friend and I went through it. I remember how dark and scary and a freaking maze that place was. I can't imagine being stuck in that place as it filled up with smoke and burned! Ack! I still get chills thinking about it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_Castle_(Six_Flags_Great_Adventure)

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We plan to just have a haunted garage. Though, given enough garbage bags and a basic idea, BroNar and I could put together a maze. Anything that moves, though, we'd have to do. It'd require a ton of puppeteering, as we're cheap. Though, a spring-loaded spider is cheap and we could get a few and cannibalize them for parts...

Granted, we were also talking about stripping down Halloween animatronics and putting new outer shells on them. Or getting a lot of Teddy Ruxpins and stripping them down to their skeletons and putting the FNaF crew on them, so we'd have mini-bots.

I've yet to finish paying off a mattress, yet I'm planning to build robots. Priorities!

22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm doing Halloween Haunt at Kings Island this Friday night for the fourth year in a row. The houses aren't as high quality as some standalone attractions, but there's 11 of them spread throughout the park, and the whole thing is included with my season pass, so why not?

Go do it. That fire was 30 years ago. Today's haunted house industry is far more cognizant of the dangers of fire then they were back then, and modern laws and building and fire codes reflect that, often having special sections that deal just with haunted houses.

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Way to date a woman's age, jcgoble3... :D

*ducks flying bricks*

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  25. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    For those of you who don't know, I've become a middle school youth group leader at my church, and tonight we were assigned our "tribes" of kids for the year. We got to come up with an awesome name for our tribe and design a flag. As the year goes on, we'll have "Tribe Wars" for games, and each tribe has 2 guy leaders and 2 girl leaders, and after talks, we break off into small groups by tribe and gender. It was really great meeting the guys I'll be with for the rest of the year, and I'm looking forward to learning about leadership as well as sharing my heart with them.

Revanfan1, Gemma, jcgoble3 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.