main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That sounds awesome! Youth groups were always fun.

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Good morning! (later than usual because today I'm starting work late)

TrakNar, I'm sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. I guess there must be one of those crazies in every family, but it's really annoying when it's someone close to you. I hope the BroNar stands his ground.

I didn't realize that Halloween is something people plan for a month ahead. In Greece the closest equivalent we have is the carnival season, but it's just about wearing disguises, not about being scary. It's good fun though, I'll post pictures in the winter. Oh, and a foodie's question: do you actually eat the pumpkins, or are they solely for decoration?

Have a nice day!

3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You can make pie out of them, and there are other recipes for them, so yes, we eat them. The flesh is the best part, and you can bake the seeds. The stringy innards get tossed into the compost, and even after the jack-o-lantern has sunken into a rotted clump, you can dump it on a patch of soil and grow more pumpkins.

Jack-o-lanterns were originally carved out of turnips. When the tradition was brought over, pumpkins were used as they were already hollow. They were originally carved to scare away bad spirits. I like to carve them as it allows me to unleash my creativity as I savagely cut holes into a large gourd. My carving tool of choice is either a good paring knife or a buck knife. If the blade is short and sharp, I have better control.

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku likes this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I used to live near Morton, IL, which bills itself as "the pumpkin capital of the world." (That's open for debate, but they are the headquarters for Libby's, one of the biggest makers of canned pumpkin). Morton has a great pumpkin festival every fall, where they serve all kinds of pumpkin based foods, mostly baked goods, it also surprisingly tasty pumpkin chili and soup. The pumpkins also get used as projectiles in "punkin chunkin'," where people build catapults, trebuchets and canons and see who can shoot a pumpkin the farthest.

My M.O. For decorating pumpkins is to paint them, as I can't be trusted with sharp knives. This year's pumpkin is going to be a My Little Pony. :)

5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Shooting pumpkins... And here I thought the Scottish were weird for throwing tree trunks :p

Pumpkin chili sounds interesting, do you have a recipe?

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    TrakNar, I'm sorry things are so uncomfortable with these Halloween party plans and Mrs. BroNar. Sister-in-law drama can be rough. But on a lighter note, I definitely approve of the moniker "BroNar." :D I guess that makes the other one "HalfBroNar"? ;)

Well, we made it into Chicago in good shape late last night. The boy and I went out for a little walk, and we are now chilling at my mom's, where I now have a cat curled up on my lap. It's something I haven't experienced in years—really quite an incredible feeling.

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    For mavjade and Chyntuck, this is the video I took of Brading Roman Villa:

I'll be uploading the next one either tonight or tomorrow. My internets are poop so it takes ages. :(

8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks moosemousse :)

So I come home after a day of non-stop meetings to find out that the Greek government called for a confidence vote on Monday (as a side note, this government is so unbelievably idiotic that they might collapse under the weight of their own stupidity.) So I rush to the laptop and read the news, and now Mr. Chyntuckopoulos is in full Greek-male-with-mommy-issues mode: "Stop chatting with your Jedi friends and take me out to dinner! I'm leaving to London tomorrow and you look like you don't care!"

Maybe I should tell him that his trip to London means I'll finally have time to write that dare challenge fic. Then again, maybe I should keep my mouth shut and take him out to dinner instead.

PS: You have nooooo idea how ridiculous "Jedi friends" sounds in Greek.

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Woot! I'm a Jedi Friend! So I am a Jedi!

10. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I would ask the same question... ;)

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The BroNar and I are talking about classic sci-fi and how our teachers would never recommend such things to their classes, and then the exceptions in terms of stuff we've read in class. Weird Nathaniel Hawthorne stories, Ray Bradbury, The Monkey's Paw... And then the English Lit classes in college... BroNar's class was about women suffering that the professor claimed to be pro-feminist stuff, and mine was taught by a conspiracy theorist alien nut, so our reading was weird. I'm into weird stories, but these stories were an annoying weird, and BroNar is a feminist, but the stuff he read rubbed him the wrong way.

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, I FINALLY got my tax forms from the accountancy firm, who are going to presumably e-file the lot tomorrow.

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Woot! I like being a "Jedi friend"!

So, I know nothing of 'Murican taxes... but isn't the due date in like April?

My date actually ended up going oddly well (those that have been around for a while will remember my epic fail of a date with, who I dubbed "vomit-date-boy", so any date compared to that is good). We are already planning on maybe seeing each other again.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    And I FINALLY finished this after letting it sit unfinished for almost a year.

[​IMG]

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Whew. Made it into Fort Wayne, where I'm now frantically going over my conference paper to get it in shape for tomorrow. In all the excitement of traveling up here I'd totally forgotten that Indiana is an hour ahead of the rest of the Midwest these days (which meant I arrived at 6:30 instead of the 5:30 I'd originally hoped for). And about halfway between Chicago and Fort Wayne it dawned on me that I left the shoes I'd planned to wear for my presentation back at my mom's. So, in addition to some time in the hotel's office center tweaking the paper (thank goodness for Dropbox), there will be a spot of emergency shoe-shopping tomorrow morning so that I won't have to wear my ratty old brown Oxfords (thank goodness the conference doesn't actually start till the afternoon).

And so to bed.

TrakNar, cute little Hypno. Knitted or crocheted? I didn't know you did stuff with yarn—I admire anyone who can. :cool:

EDIT: And I brought H. P. Lovecraft on this trip. No guarantee at all that I'll get the chance to read him, but at least I brought him.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Crocheted. I don't know how to knit and my crocheting skills are pretty much limited to blankets and scarves.

Gemma likes this.
  17. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    "Jedi friends" is such a cute description. Glad your date went well, Briannakin! Nothing wrong with emergency show shopping Findswoman ;) Very nice crocheting, TrakNar!

It's my birthday today so I decided to take the day as annual leave. However this morning I got called in to sit in on a meeting with a client so had to go in, and this afternoon I got a call from another client wanting something urgent done, but needed final approval from her boss so I have to wait for her to call me back before going ahead with it.

The best laid plans, eh?

18. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013

I love Grimm. I got to meet the actor who plays Monroe (Silas Mitchell Weir) this summer. He's a real sweetheart and even better looking in person than on the show. Since the convention I attend has invited him now -- I hope that they will continue and invite more of the cast over the next few years. He pointed out that they are the only show that started out 4 years ago and is still on the air from that batch that year.

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Happy Birthday @JadeLodus ! That sucks that your plans did not get fulfilled, but I hope you enjoyed your day regardless.

20. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Thanks! I still have dinner with my family tonight, so I'm looking forward to that.

21. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I love to crochet --- it's my way of relaxing to watch TV and so I don't snack while doing it. My favorite blanket is the Fisherman's Star
    http://web.archive.org/web/19990508064123/http://www.caron.com/daz_fishstar.html
    Here's the link if anyone is interested in it -- BTW they say not to use vari-gated yarn -- you can - it just makes the stars a little bit harder to see --- but after one washing the stars tighten up and you can see them. I also do this blanket with only repeating the pattern row 3 times for baby blankets and don't put on the fringe as baby's tend to chew on it. I have also doubled this pattern to make bed spreads.

Once you have done the pattern a few times it's quite easy and the pattern is mathematical.

But knitting -- can't do that --- I don't hold my tension correct and it just gets tighter and tighter till I can't get into the holes anymore. Now my Mom can knit --- she knitted me 7 sweaters the year she retired in the first year.

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Να ζήσεις JadeLotus και χρόνια πολλά,
    Μεγάλη να γίνεις με άσπρα μαλλιά.
    Παντού να σκορπίζεις της νιότης το φως
    Και όλοι να λένε: να μία σοφός.
    (May you live long JadeLotus, and happy birthday,
    Until you grow old and white-haired.
    May you spread everywhere the light of youthfulness,
    And all will say: here's a sage.)

Good morning!

Don't get too excited about being called "Jedi friends," everyone. After all, it was pronounced "Tzendai" :D

Goodwood, please don't use the word "taxes" when I'm around. It's become my worst nightmare :(

I dropped Mr. Chyntuckopoulos at the airport this morning and came straight to the courthouse. And there, miracle of miracles, my client's case was the first on the list. But then, of course, the defendant's lawyer asked for the case to be postponed under some lame pretext, and, of course, it was postponed :mad: Amazing how human rights cases are ALWAYS postponed.

Anyway, so here I am, all dressed up and nowhere to go. My desk has been taken over by a consultant, so I guess I'll have to take a bunch of files and work from home.

EDIT: Change of plans. My niece was born during the night. I'm going to meet her :)

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Talk about best-laid plans... ;)

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That sounds like something the Vong would say. How would you say that phonetically? Is the T silent? How about the 'ai' at the end. I am imagining it sounding like 'Te-send-ah-ee' which is probably totally wrong.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm thinking a soft J (zh) and the ending sounding like a long I. Zhen-dye.

And I got some grocery shopping done and bought another Halloween decoration. This one is a bird skeleton.

A very anatomically-incorrect bird skeleton.

But, then again, only I would notice such things. I just bought it for the head, and i almost got a canine skull, but it had more wrong with the anatomy than the bird skeleton.

Bah. Time to find a taxidermy and see if i can get a skull or two...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.