main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We're All Fine Here, Thanks. How Are You? - The FanFic Social Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Because I was so short as a kid people would try to bully me. It rarely worked because I was more than willing to fight even if the person was a lot larger. Bullys usually want to intimidate and not actually fight. We didn't have anti-bully programs when I was a kid so I didn't have much recourse to stop the bullying. I like the new school programs that use peer pressure to deter bullying.

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    Very much so, yes.

It might bolster him, also, to consider that the bullies may be acting out of their own hurt. That they're mean because they are hurt, and don't know how to deal with it but to lash out.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much for the support, guys. It means a lot. @};- His teachers are indeed aware of the situation—indeed, probably no one's more aware of it than they are—and I imagine they're doing all they can, though they understandably can only share so many details about it with me. There's one kid in the class that seems to be the main instigator (I'm told he punched another kid during the summer session), and his behavior is affecting pretty much the whole class, not just my son. The Findshusband and I have been reassuring him and talking it through with him and giving him extra cuddles whenever he needs them (he needed some tonight, in fact). We've let him know we're always there to listen to him and help him out, and that so are his teachers and friends.

And the kid in question is almost certainly acting out of his own hurt: my understanding is that his parents are either recently divorced or in the middle of getting divorced. I know from experience how miserable that is. Though give one a pass it does not, of course. Rather sobering to see this kind of thing happening even with kids not yet in kindergarten.

Goodwood, the FH has indeed shown the UO a move or two. As to whether he keeps it up, we'll just have to see which way his interests go as he gets bigger.

Chyntuck, which recipe exactly were you interested in? The orange peel chicken, the channa masala, or both? Ask and thou shalt receive.

TrakNar, hope you had an enjoyable time at Dedication Day and that you had success with the photos.

4. Luminous beings are we...

Sep 19, 2013
    Are you hiccoughing still, Goodwood? Do you always spell it out as hiccough, rather than hiccup? Have you had many occasions to do either? Curious minds must know...

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Dedication Day was really... chilly. I got some decent costuming pictures, but due to the sun and the angle I was at, I couldn't get a decent picture of anyone on the rostrum. I'll see what I can do, but my Jim Getty pictures all turned out like crap. Everything was backlit by the sun, and if I didn't take it at any other angle, I'd get sun-explosion lens flare. ._.

Have some pics nonetheless.

Have some pics from Dedication Day.

[​IMG]
    Gettysburg High School Ceremonial Brass Band

[​IMG]
    Color guard

[​IMG]
    Bugler

[​IMG]
    A general, but I don't remember who.

[​IMG]
    This dapper fellow.

I'll try to get some pics from my dad, but he had about as much luck with pics as I did.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Funny you should ask, as the coughing stopped about five minutes after that post...must've been after-effects of being out in frigid temperatures. Anyway, I've spelled it "hiccough" for as long as I can remember, even if Firefox thinks the other way is correct. It's probably the literalist in me; a hiccough is sort of like an actual cough, and even more annoying when it happens again and again and again and again and again and again and again ad infinitum.

TrakNar: Good pictures regardless, I like the Zouave uniform on the bugler and the general looks kind of like John Buford (the cavalry gloves are a bit of a giveaway), whose cavalry division clashed with Harry Heth's brigade west of town to kick off the Battle.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Might have been Buford, now that I think about it. I didn't get a chance to ask. I just liked his uniform.

One of the keynote speakers talked about Alonzo Hereford Cushing, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Quite the horror story about one major badass. He held his position after being blown to bits by cannon fire, and after two hours, a musket ball finally took him down. BADASS.

8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    As I recall, Cushing's battery was unloading double canister into Confederate ranks as close as twenty-five to fifty yards out before he was finally taken down. Indeed he was a badass, and I think the ball that took him literally went right down his throat as he was ordering his guns to open fire once again.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hit him beneath the nose.

Quite the gory story for Dedication Day. The guy's shoulder was blown off, he blew off his thumb to fire more artillery, his guts and hips were blown to pieces by artillery fire, and he was still standing. Still standing for two hours until he took a musket ball to the face.

Alonzo Cushing laughs at cannon. Cannon may go BOOM, but Alonzo Cushing was still standing.

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Is it very quiet here today or is it just my impression? :confused:
    Don't you think it makes sense especially for such a young child? It's not like they have very sophisticated means to express their sorrow at that age.

I hope it all sorts itself out soon. I'm sure the Findsboy loves the extra cuddles, but there are nicer reasons to ask for them [:D]

Did he teach him how to use the Force yet? :p
    Errr... Both please? =P~ And the rest of your cookbook too, if you don't mind. ;)

Findswoman likes this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree, it's too quiet. Usually somebody is complaining about their health. Briannakin needs to be a bridesmaid again. Lol!

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I could whine about my boss being annoying and somewhat crazy if that would help liven things up. :p

If anyone has a fitbit, I'd just like to let you know that putting it through the washer and dryer doesn't mean it's dead! I washed/dried mine a few months ago and figured it was a goner, but that I'd let it dry a good long time and see what would happen. I plugged in the other days, let it charge and low and behold, it still works! :D

13. Luminous beings are we...

Sep 19, 2013
    Cell phones, I have found, can also survive a washing. Not sure about a drying, though. IIRC, the phone was rescued before getting that far.

"Wash and wear, drip dry," it was.

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ohhhh. You're so funny. Nope. Never again.

I'm drowning in final papers and projects and I currently kinda feel a massive migraine coming on. I've got nothing done so far today, but I might just take something and go lie down for a couple hours, hopefully get something done tonight, then lock myself in the library tomorrow (because I can randomly go to the library now).

My mother once accidentally put my 2nd generation Ipod nano in the wash. It was fine, though the battery never really held a charge after. But I don't think I've heard something survive a dryer till now.

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    What in blue blazes is a fitbit?!

Chyntuck and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. thedarkbeckons

thedarkbeckons Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2013
    Just finished my last class period before Thanksgiving break! I intend to go hide myself away in the mountains somewhere this week and work on several artistic and literary projects that have eluded me these past months. Another post or two on my fanfic should be in order...but only if I get bored of the book I want to finish and have published by next Christmas. Things have warmed up a bit here in Colorado, so hopefully it stays that way. I love writing in the outdoors!

On the downside (or perhaps the upside, since I want to get stuff done?) my phone snapped completely in half this week, so much worse than going through the wash. :) I'm not going to be able to get a new one for another ten days at least, so contact is limited to Skype, Facebook, and email for the time being. That's going to be weird.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    A fancy-schmancy pedometer and sleep tracker.

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I was wondering about that also. My niece was on Facebook saying something about Fitbit. I had no clue what she was talking about and I get tired of Googling every damn thing she says.

19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    There's some information on how a FitBit works here.

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I was looking for a good picture of a Civil War soldier when I came upon this unfortunate composition...

[​IMG]

Chyntuck, Findswoman and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    [face_rofl] [face_rofl] [face_rofl]

A group of homeless Syrian refugees started a sit-in in front of parliament two days ago because the state is ignoring their request for asylum. I spent most of the night there. They're incredibly strong people. They've been through hell but they brought guitars and sang all night. What was really heart-warming was that people turned up at the oddest hours to bring them food, blankets and clothes -- and what was simply baffling was that they insisted that the Greeks who were there should get food first (!) My cousin went there this morning; she speaks Arabic a lot better than me and I hope she can give them some comfort.

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That is an really unfortunate picture, Trak. LOL.

I hope you can help them Chyn.

So, my big accomplishment for today was to get through the majority of The Prince in one sitting. It wasn't quite what I wanted to get done but it's something. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I talked to my mom. I guess it's an accomplishment, since I don't talk to her. Missed out on the midnight release party for Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire, and I won't be able to get the copy I preordered until sometime next week. Elsewhere people are going on about the game and how the release party was awesome, and I'm just sitting here getting ready to slather on my last treatment of miticide.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Sitting in the hallway outside my classroom, waiting for class period to start - it's my last class before Thanksgiving break!

Unfortunately, that break will probably mostly be comprised of writing my final papers for the week after. So, I feel your pain, Briannakin.

25. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Even though I kind of enjoyed writing papers, I don't miss college. Well, except for the theatre stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.