main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, until it gets fixed. I have literally no idea what's causing that to happen. It's kind of exciting.

Grimby likes this.
  2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    So is there a plan or has anyone talked to the owners about the server being on the super slow side? I can't imagine it's going to get better now that TFN is gonna explode again with all the new Star Wars new.

3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    We're working on it, there are a couple of routes in the mix but nothing's been settled on just yet. I know Grimby is doing some tweaking to see if that'll help, too.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    In the meantime should this be brought up in the RPF somewhere? I can do it if you'd like since I'd rather you worked on figuring out the problem, I just don't know where exactly I should post about it.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    There is a newer version of the plugin available that might fix the issue.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    No worries...I didn't get any alerts, but no surprise there. :p

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Guys, try those tags again and see if the issue still exists. I just upgraded the plugin.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    OMG the little plus signs are on the left again! Grimby you are some sort of Hutt god. ^:)^

Grimby likes this.
  9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Speaking of tags, I just got the following error message when I tried to tag someone:

"You don't have permission to tag people in messages."

Huh?

10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Tagging is working now. I don't know what was wrong, but it seems to be fixed.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Upgrading accidentally disabled it for everyone by way of the new extension setting all usergroup's permission level to "zero tags". It's fixed now. :p

12. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I'm kind of sick of the cloistered feel of the Community section. This latest issue with formerly JCC-only mods locking a Senate thread. It's annoying and needs to end or the areas need to split again. Frankly the JCCification of the Senate is also bothersome. So yeah, work on that.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hi FID,

If this is about the Election thread, the existing thread was locked and discussion redirected to a brand new thread at the request of Senate users/thread regulars rather than by my own initiative. As far as "JCCification" goes, an imminent election is something that everybody is willing to discuss and I'm sure you won't have to put up with JCCers as soon as the actual event is over.

We tried a separate JCC election thread and a Senate election thread on the temp boards, but the Senate mods didn't like that and preferred to have all the discussion in their thread. So if all political discussion is going to occur under a Senate tag, it's only fair that you let others participate as well. You can share, it doesn't hurt. All prior JCC media threads now have an Amph tag and the users get along just fine.

As for moderation, we're an integrated mod team, and Arena mods have modded Amph threads, etc. We all know the basic rules and standards embraced under each tag.

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Others can participate. It's just pathetic that all of these various forums have been absorbed into the crap 'Community' label when the reason they were originally created was because the JCC sucked mightily for the discussions that take place.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That might be your view, but we had a discussion where users of each board chimed in and mod squad as a whole discussed it. We went over it at considerable length, and while there were costs, the benefits of an integrated board outweighed that because different threads were getting exposed to different users and points of view than they had when the forums were separated.

There was an adjustment period, but we've gotten used to it.

I don't see the merge being revisited at this time. Regardless, this thread is for issues related to the new board software and things of that nature.

16. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    The title says, 'We're Back! Post questions and issues here'. It does not say: 'questions and tech issues here' This is a big issue. One that hinges on really weak justifications. Where was this discussion? Were users informed? I'm hearing conflicting stories on how agreeable this situation is. So either you're BS'ing me to stifle discussion (which I don't put past you) or you're talking out of your bottom with the royal 'we' as if some sort of hive mind. Which is also an amusing thought. Either way your reasoning isn't sound.

The areas have their own culture and their own attitudes towards discussion. The JCC is the goof-off factory for people who have no interest in real discussion (much like your reply, so good to see that you're consistent). The Senate and the Arena are for more specific discussions. So you're not only screwing their posters by JCC'ing everything, but you're also destroying what made them unique to begin with.

Normally this is a silly issue considering it's an online forum, however, given that the individualized areas were around for a lot longer than this crappy layout I'd say you're short-changing your users who wanted things separate and feel they don't belong in the 'Community' area which sounds like a urinal area, by the way, which kind of fits with what it's become.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, it was discussed. It was discussed in a 1,190 post thread with 17,922 views over the span of almost four months. You may not have been personally consulted, but that doesn't mean it wasn't discussed. The movement to merge the boards, in fact, came out of a thread where the users of the temporarily combined forum expressed pleasure at the amount of interaction and cross-pollination that was going on -- so far from the mods imposing some sort of tyrannical policy without consulting the users, the reality is that the merge came at the behest of the users.

It was discussed, and it was discussed ad nauseum. You're not purveying a unique, never-considered position.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Welcome to six months ago. The entire community had a long, intense discussion (that Jello just linked you to) and in the end the powers that be decided to go with the current system in the Community forum. Has there been some problems? Yeah. But on the whole I think it's a good thing as it doesn't create closed, stagnant communities. Just because you weren't around/didn't participate in the previous discussion doesn't mean it didn't happen. And it doesn't mean you can cloak yourself as some champion of the Senate forum, (or the Arena forum, where I don't recall ever seeing you) trying to "fight the good fight" for specialized discussion. Because you're very late to the table with that attitude, and you come off as an attention whore. An extremely condescending, hostile one to boot who's using past issues with Jello to make ridiculous claims about the forums as a whole.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I see the tag was changed and the previous election thread was unlocked. Two threads on the same topic. Great idea. Worked so well on the temp boards.

20. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    There are some threads that might happen to overlap - it's not that big of a deal. Jay tried to help consolidate things based on input from Senate regulars but he changed it back. So there's a thread for more in depth discussion and one for general reactions. It's fine, two threads won't break the internet.

FID, we had a massive discussion that ran the course of pretty much the entire time we were at the temp boards. I'm sorry that you don't like the outcome but, at this point, it's been working rather well. Yes, there are different cultures, but, at the same time, it's afforded people so many more opportunities to interact with each other. That just didn't happen when we had three different forums. We've had a minimum of issues and, up to now, you're the only one that's had any major complaint. I enjoy seeing Senate and Amph posters showing up in JCC threads and I think it's good to have everyone in the same place.

21. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    So can the Arena and C&G go back to being on their own since they aren't included in your statement there?

22. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I can certainly edit them in there. It wasn't my intention to make Arena people feel left out. But the Amph/Senate/JCC has usually been the sticking point in terms of 'discussion threads' in the past.

23. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Actually Inty and I pushed a huge part of that discussion that took place on the Temp boards from the Arena standpoint so it does feel like you're belittling the fact that the Arena existed as a forum.

I also think you're trying to minimize what was done by saying only three forums were impacted and that isn't the case.

24. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Again, it was not my intention to belittle Arena. Arena is included in the Community group. Please don't put assumptions where there don't need to be any. I left out Arena. My mistake. I apologize for leaving Arena and Census out of my previous post.

25. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Thank you for the apology.