main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Arena.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ARENAAAAA used to be a board.

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Yeah, I stayed away six months ago, because I honestly thought, 'Nobody could possibly be dumb enough to screw this up.' I was mistaken in that belief. And as far as I know (re-reading that thread) there was never agreement on making the Senate into a JCC section instead of its own board. I'm also given to believe that nobody liked the Arena move either. So what that says to me is that while the big debate was all nice and good, but the pooch was really screwed here.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Honestly, this is because there was no real distinction between the majority of JCC and Amph threads despite whatever a few people here want to believe so the integration was just fine.

You have to admit though, Senate was always kind of the "wild card" when it came to putting everything under Community. Heck, even though I was in favour of using the tags and stuff I wasn't too opposed to keeping the Senate separated.

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I left the temp forums six months ago because I didn't like the format and I didn't see too many Senate regulars speaking up on the temp forums. So this 'agreement' strikes me as a sham as that really wasn't what you all came to.

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    It still is! I use the tabs like y'all said I should! :)

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As was stated earlier, the topic was discussed at great length over pretty much the entirety of the Temp Forums. Are you concerned that the Senate has somehow become less unique? If so, how?

Not trying to be snarky or obtuse, I'm trying to understand...

8. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    By and large, I think the merging of the communities has been a positive step. My only concern is that due to the faster speed of the JCC (which is more likely to increase now that Episode VII has been announced) many Senate-type discussions get swamped and pushed back to the later pages, limiting the amount of discussion that takes place. Some Senate topics avoid this but by and large they're focused on current events (eg. the 2012 election).

One can easily get around this by simply filtering with the 'Senate' tag, but I wonder how many people actively use that feature.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Let's just wait until there's actually more traffic before changing anything. I think the new system is good, and should remain in place even if traffic builds. There was just one main community forum for several years, and it helped people get to know each other.

Any recent changes aside, the "faster speed" of the JCC is a myth. It's slow, particularly compared to times gone by.

10. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    My 'faster speed' comment was in regards to The Senate Floor forum on the old board, in which the JCC by comparison is certainly a faster moving beast.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Sure, but the JCC has been pretty slow for some time now.

12. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    I disagree personally. I post on several boards and the JCC is one of the faster moving forums I see. It might not move at the speed it did circa TPM, but it still hums along at a fairly brisk pace.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    It is also the larger of any of the 'forums' that were merged and moves much faster as a result of its size.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, you'd prefer a place with no traffic?

Excellent.

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    It does no such thing, at least not in my view. Having said that, if you think the JCC moves "fast," that's more evidence that message boards across the web simply aren't what they once were, and certainly not as they were a decade ago. Trying to go back to those days is a fool's errand (not that you are trying to do that yourself).

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Not talking about traffic speed, but the boards themselves (again, code, not content) get slow when you quote a lot. Typing has serious lags.

17. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Is there some reason the Welcome, Administration and Star Wars Films and Lucasfilm Projects categories are always open now when I view the boards?

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Intentional settings change.

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    :(

Any way for that to be a preferences thing? I'm not interested in any of those forums.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think Grimby is still looking for a plug-in that will work similar to the Favorite Boards we had back on IGN.

21. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    So that's a no, then.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't think there's any way for users to customize the current display. Grimby - is that the case?

23. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    YMMV. An unanswered thread in JCC will be back on Page 3-4 within 24 hours; within a week it's back on Page 7-8. Compared to the old Senate forum, that's pretty fast. Yet the Senate (IMHO) benefited from such a slower movement of traffic; it gave time for discussions and debates to play out. A thread could sit for a week or 2 before the next response, but it worked really well for what it was. A good example I think would be the Atheism thread - constantly receiving posts on and off, continually for months on end. Since merging the forums however it's become very much a 'stop/start' approach, where a post might elicit a couple of responses before it vanishes into the shadows of the back pages for a month or 2 before someone bothers to dig it up and post something else.

Anyway, I'm digressing a bit from my original post. I actually like the tab system and do believe it's worked for the better. Unfortunately it's had some downsides that have come along for the ride which is unfortunate. Oh well. :(

24. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Default preferences for the board. If you collapse them though, they should stay that way the next time you visit the page. Keep in mind though that it's all based on browser cookies. So each browser/computer/device you might log in from will need to be set individually..

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    They only stay that way within the same browser session. If I close and re-open my browser, it returns to the default of those three open and all others closed.