main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD We're Going on a Picnic (Nov)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lozza, Sep 7, 2008.

?

We're Going on a Picnic (Nov)

Poll closed Oct 17, 2008.
  1. Saturday, Nov. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sunday, Nov. 2

20.0%
  3. Sunday, Nov. 9

40.0%
  4. Saturday, Nov. 15

20.0%
  5. Sunday, Nov. 16

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Discuss)

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    The jacarandas out at UQ lakeside start flowing around November. They are in full flower for a period of about 3 weeks. I love jacarandas and the sheer number of them at UQ makes the lakeside really pretty during this period.

I don't want to leave it too late in the month, I want lots of purple. I plan on checking this out at the end of October, however in the meantime I would like to know if people have preferences for heading out there for a little picnic.

Since serious business is scheduled for the 8th, I thought it might be a little much to suggest we go for a picnic on the 9th. However the option is there for the perverse at heart.

Just so people not familiar with the area understand, there are no bbqs around, it isn't Roma Street parklands, there is no shelter, usually lots of shade, and often many annoying, hungry, greedy birds. So of course this is completely subject to weather.

On the plus side, there is a supermarket, fish & chips store, and various other amenities just down Hawken Drive.

Those interested let me know what weekend/day is best for you, but please keep in mind we may need a back up for weather and/or lack of flowers.

2. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    and often many annoying, hungry, greedy birds.

Are there geese? Cos if there are geese, I'm not coming :p

be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

3. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    If you went to QUT Gardens Point, I thought you'd be used to annoying birds, though I admit geese have that extra edge over chip-stealing ibises.

I voted for Sunday the 2nd because I hand in my final-ever piece of assessment that week, and I'll be looking for any excuse to relax, celebrate, and generally put off the realisation that I've run out of excuses not to enter the Real World. :p

But any of those days should be fine for me. I'll lock it in as soon as a date is confirmed.

4. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Any Sunday is good for me, although the thought of venturing back to UQ does make me feel a bit odd too. No geese incidents though. It'll be nice to be back there and just be relaxing, when most of the time there I felt anxious, stressed or overwhelmed. Except for the days I went in drunk.

I put down the 2nd as Goobs could make it that afternoon after work.

And I think you might've accidently voted for the 9th HB. I too have issues with commanding the format of these surveys!

5. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    I've never had a problem with geese at all. If you ignore them long enough they leave. The ducks are a little more stupid, but they spend most of their time around the actual lake, closer to the campus. Since my plan is to be near the jacarandas chances are we will only have to deal with one type of bird.

Biggest danger is stupid people just coming along and feeding them in our vicinity. But once again, most of them do so up around the big lake closer to the campus. Either way the birds aren't a problem as long as you don't feed them and don't try to annoy them.

One issue that may potentially exist will be the need to cleverly disguise any alcohol intake. Just food for thought for those planning on packing booze.

6. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    So did we decide on a date??

Seems the Jacarandas are already blooming early. Remember that happening last couple years..drought?

Anyway, 2nd November?

7. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    No, I just think it got hot, and there was a lot of rain, really really early this year. At this rate I don't think there will be many flowers on the trees on Nov 2. Many of the jacarandas around where I am are already getting leaves and that is a bad sign.

I'm thinking we move the picnic to the Roma street gardens. That way we get a barbeque too. Let me know what you think, but at this stage I think the jacaranda idea isn't going to work :(

8. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    We didn't do this???????? awwwwwwwwwwww

I'd still like a walk with my camera around UQ at this time of year. I might go this Sunday if anyone wants to join or partake in nourishment on the green. If it's not raining. Although might go even if it is raining..make for good photos.

9. Lozza

Feb 8, 2005
    The jacarandas came out too early and there was limited interest from people and it all just got too hard with Serious Business and the trip up the coast.

Might see if I can arrange something similar for the start of next year. May Feb, March when the temperatures are starting to cool a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.