main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Were Knight Errant and KOTOR 'WAR' good tales?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Alixen, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Wow, i've been out of the Star Wars loop for about five years or so, and i'm having problems getting back into the swing of things. I've ordered a few of the comic Omnibus, and started looking into what books have been released, and so on.

However, in a short 'return' to the fandom (that lasted only a few weeks) I recall being excited for Knight Errant and the 'War' mini-series. I loved the KOTOR comics, and was crushed when they ended, though the ending was satisfying. The idea of them continuing on in some form, especially with the rare female protagonist, intrigued me.

I'd like some opinions, if people would be kind enough?

I started to drift away from SW because of how grim most of the EU had become, with constant character deaths purely for shock value, dark and gritty stories full of despair and death, and how they simply wouldn't let Luke, Leia and Han have their peaceful elder years. KOTOR and the early seasons of the Clone Wars had that 'hopeful' vibe that was missing from a lot of the EU these days, and the first was cancelled, and the latter getting (and indeed got) darker.

Ironically, I turned to series' like Warhammer and 40,000, and the like, which are actually lighter than much of the SW EU despite its 'grim dark' declarations. However, in the recent years i've started to read and watch things like A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones),the Walking Dead comics, and the Berserk manga series. They helped me redefine dark and gritty, and in comparison even the (Dark Horse) Clone Wars and NJO seem rather light in comparison. Plus, in my mid twenties and less depressive than I once was, I find that sort of thing bothers me less anyway.

The last two paragraphs are a little off topic but leading up to a question; I know I wasn't alone in feeling that Star Wars EU had lost that 'light, in a dark universe'/hopeful vibe, so can people who shared that feeling but stayed around suggest material that still feels lighter? I still appreciate that old New Hope charm.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Legacy comic series is rather awesome, though sadly got cut somewhat short.
    Shadows of Mindor might be to your liking, as it is very retro and pulp whilst still living the hope thing.
    Scoundrels is also a rather fun novel if your into Heist stories.
    Scourge is also a rather interesting novel set just around the peace treaty between the Rebels and the Empire dealing with a very complex crime plot and having properly the most sane and down to earth Jedi character in a novel in a long time.

As on Knight Errant, the novel somehow just did not click with me, but the setting is deeply fascinating as are the characters, same goes for the Comic series. KOTOR War was a nice quick Carrick story, though I always felt that Kotor became less interesting for me after the End of Carricks main arc.

3. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I always felt that Knight Errant had good potential, but Dark Horse's miniseries model prevented it from building up the momentum it needed to get going. Unlike Gorefiend, I liked the novel as much, if not more, than the comics.

KotOR-War received mixed reviews, but I personally enjoyed it.

I certainly wouldn't call either title grimdark, and I would recommend both. They're both relatively short reads, with the former at 15-issues and a novel and the latter at 5 issues.

As far as other recommendations, I second Gorefiend's vote on Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor. I can't comment on Scoundrels or Scourge because I haven't read them yet, but I would suggest Crosscurrent and Riptide, a duology of books focused on Jaden Korr, the protagonist from the Jedi Academy game.

4. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I just recently finished the Knight Errant comics. I was a little disappointed that it was over so quickly (3 TPBs), but I did really like the story. Felt it could have been a little stronger.

I LOVED the Knight Errant novel and really hope that JJM has the drive and approval to continue the story some day. It was a really refreshing story. Kerra is a great main character. I especially love the last setting in the novel (it's broken up into about 3 different main settings/acts) when Kerra is in despair and really questioning a lot about her beliefs and what is going on around her. The Sith characters are also very interesting and diverse.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    KE was generally good; the art was hit-or-miss but the story was generally good. As others have said, the miniseries model unfortunately made it lose any and all momentum it had; Odion died far too soon and should've been a protagonist through the entire series, while Kerra took down enemies like Malakite and Arkadia, saving Odion for the next-to-last arc and Daiman for the finale. It could've been great if it had been extended to a full 50 issues, and Kerra had been searching for her sibling from the third arc to some time near the end of the series.

War as a good story that should've been extended to two arcs or so, and the art was terrible throughout. It was fun to see Zayne on his own, even though I missed Gryph and Jarael. I would've liked to see Rohlan back, too, in addition to those two having cameos. But yes, it was a generally good story.

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    KE is just okay; the novel is better than the comics. KOTOR "War" is excellent.

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Knight Errant was fantastic, IMO, a series that wasn't allowed to live up to its vast potential. A series that manages to use a Jedi for a protagonist and Sith for antagonists and have it not feel regurgitated. In terms of the "light amidst the darkness" feel, Knight Errant does that incredibly well. Despite the very dark setting (a sector of space inhabited entirely by Sith), it always chooses to play up Kerra's heroic actions, that each one of them matters. Plus, the villains themselves, while evil and menacing, are entertaining. They're more "comic book villain", and in this case I mean that as a complement.

KOTOR War was okay on a first read, but I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in it.

8. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I agree with the unfortunate end that Knight Errant got. It would have been amazing if given a better chance. The books is, the comics suffer from having to rush to some type of conclusion. This meant Odion taken down quite quickly, without as much time to develop as he could have gotten in a full series. The setting is possibly the most diverse for interesting villains and the EU could benefit from a few more strong female protagonist like Kerra because I've always felt that number has been sadly limited. Jaina certainly can't pick up that slack so we only really have Ania currently.

As for KOTOR, War's not as good at the original series but it's always great to see Zayne. If you look at it all, the one thing about KOTOR and Knight Errant are that they have characters that feel heroics for all kinds of different reasons. Kerra's proactive, Zayne's reactive. One is infinitely more martial that the other, etc, etc. War's worth reading if only because more of Zayne Carrick is never a bad thing.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I thought KOTOR: War was absolutely terrible. Bad plot, bad narrative structure, characterization totally different from previous depiction of Zayne, no other real recurring characters, and as already mentioned, terrible art. Read to the end of the original KOTOR series and you will be happier thinking that #50 is the end.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Knight Errant's Sith seem true to how GL imagined the Sith in that era.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Frankly its really easy to find stories outside of SW that blast away NJO in terms of darkness and bloodshed and violence, the question for me is: Should SW be, for a lack of a better term, grimdark? My answer is no. There are other stories that are far better equipped for that!

As to recommendations:

Knight Errant definitely fits the bill, but that's only due to the genius of JJM. I'd disagree that the Legacy comics are what you're seeking, though they are excellent. For a pair of inconsequential but very well done Fett stories with stunning art, Blood Ties is well worth a read.

For books, Mindor is a masterclass and unlikely to be equalled ever. I find the Reaves books to be fun stories and if you want a set of characters to latch on to, follow and support through a series of adventures, they're great. Far from perfect in continuity terms but great in character terms. Shadow Games is good too, as is Scourge, a great little gem of a one-off. If you previously read and enjoyed the X-Wing books, then Mercy Kill is a fun book too.

12. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    Hmm, thanks for all the posts thus far. I never considered Mindor, thanks. I'll make it one i'll grab. I'll give KE and WAR a chance, as they don't seem to have been panned completely in this thread, at least.

I've also been finding myself liking Mara Jade more than I used to. Have I missed any stories with her as a lead or important characters?

13. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, Mara Jade... um, how up to date are you on her history, just checking? Anyway, Zahn wrote another novel, a sequel to Allegiance called Choices of One, that had Mara as one of the lead characters, set during the OT, in the ever busier years between Yavin and Hoth. It had most of the same issues as Allegiance, too much focus on Zahn's original/pet characters although depending on the reader they're either minor flaws or huge problems. Can't think of much else with Mara recently... well, nothing worth reading anyway.

Anyway, Mindor is a masterpiece, definitely one of the best Star Wars novels ever.

KotOR- War was not bad. I love Zayne's character, so any more stories involving him by JJM I'll definitely read, although yeah the series hasn't been quite as strong ever since Zayne defeated the Jedi Covenant, but it was a decent story and JJM always writes well. I always love more Zayne adventures, especially set during the Mandalorian Wars, so I liked it a good deal but its not quite required reading for anything else or another series.

Knight Errant had some of the craziest Sith ever, and that's saying something. Still at least some humor too, and the novel is highly recommended. The KE miniseries were alright, none super-great, but all decent. A shame it didn't last longer.

Scoundrels, also by Zahn, was a heist novel starring Han which I thought was quite good. There's a comic called Luke Skywalker and the Treasure of the Dragonsnakes set during Luke's training on Dagobah that's also very good, especially as almost everything else set during the OT era is before Hoth.

In terms of lighter Star Wars stuff, um... hm, most of the quality Star Wars stories are from Dark Horse, although they've had more than a few dark stories (such as a Dark Times series and endless Darth Vader Does Stuff miniseries), but most are at least decent. There's an Obi-wan Kenobi novel from John Jackson Miller coming out in a few weeks, which based on early reviews sounds magnificent so that should be something to remember too.

14. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I think he or she quit after Anakin Solo died, so...

15. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    No, I stayed around a long while after that, just retreated to earlier timeframes. I was around til early Legacy of the Force, though I only read the Dark Nest trilogy and several of the LofF books. I know... what happens. I'm aware other books with her as a central character will be likely set before the NJO. :p

Allegiance and Choices of One. Gotcha, thanks.

I am keeping an eye on Kenobi, but between Fate of the Jedi, the various comics he pops up in, and now this, Kenobi isn't turning out to be much of a hermit really. :p Though thats not really bad thing.

16. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I'll agree here. I was not a fan of the art in the last TPB. Kerra, especially, just seemed... "off." I love her character design in general (both visually and in theory), but the art in Escape was odd to me.

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    To me Kerra was unattractive in the first issue. Not the whole first arc...just the first issue. She was fine in the rest.

18. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    I wish I knew where my copies of Aflame and Deluge were so I could flip through them. It's been a really long time since I really saw the art in them and I am working on memory here that I liked them a lot better than what I saw in Escape, which I just finished recently and of which I know exactly the location.

EDIT: Of course, now that I flip back through Escape, I realize that in quite a few panels Kerra does seem more normal... Hmmm... It's just some panels where she looks really odd.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    The novel was what made me fall in love with Knight Errant. I'd been lukewarm on that series until the book and then I couldn't get enough.

My interest in KOTOR waned after Vindication and never completely recovered. War didn't do much to change that. It didn't help that we'd gotten the rushed but in my opinion vastly superior Legacy: War the year before.