main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Were Luke and Leia a mistake?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    By this, I mean, did Anakin and Padme actually intend to conceive?

Judging by Anakin's reaction in ROTS, he seems really surprised. If they had been trying to have children, then he would probably have acted a lot differently, more like a "Oh finally!" reaction, I think.

Then again, with such futuristic technology, I'd think birth control would be something that's fairly easy to take care of.

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    For people meaning to keep their marriage a secret, my guess would be yes.

3. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm actually of the opinion that in Star Wars you can conceive a baby by conventional means, but if you are strong in the force then your love can create life.

Remember, compassion and love was the only way to immortality... maybe Anakin's love for Padme led to the force creating Luke and Leia? Maybe I'm crazy lol

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He seemed rather shocked in ROTS about the news so I think they were sort of accidental which I find curious given the vast technology in a GFFA not only concerning hyperdrive but the abundant cyborg/biotech that exists. You'd think they'd have better birth control. Shots without side effects? Spray on Smart Condom?

Perhaps like Anakin himself, the birth of the twins would not be stopped.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    We have birth control here in the real world that is highly effective, many unplanned babies are still born

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Anakin was so surprised by Padme's revelation that he was speechless...

Being tongue-tied does not infer/imply/indicate/suggest that they were; or were not, trying to have children.
    He simply wasn't expecting the news.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree; Anakin's reaction is no indication of whether they were trying to conceive or not. Or they might have not been actively trying but not trying very hard to prevent it either.

10. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I wouldn't think that they'd want to have children in the midst of the Clone Wars, in case one of them don't come back. So I'm going to go with the surprise interpretation.

SithStarSlayer and Valairy Scot like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Considering the film series never delved all that deeply into Padme's politics (aside from "Hey! Get this darn trade Federation off my planet" and "A dictatorship bad") it's entirely possible that she was elected Queen on a strong pro-Life ticket and doesn't believe in birth control.

12. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Padme's phrasing is informative and quite lovely: "Something wonderful has happened. Ani, I'm pregnant."

From this mother goddess--the personification of Naboo, of life itself--Luke and Leia were an inevitability.

13. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    If the will of the Force could foresee that in order to fulfill the prophecy Luke would have to help convert his father to the Light Side, then I suppose it may of been inevitable.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Definitely intentional. As the people above said, he was probably surprised at the news of Padme's conception. I guess the bigger question is if Anakin (and I guess Ki-Adi-Mundi as well) felt guilty, or if other people noticed their digressions from the ways of the jedi, when they were having sex.

Bo-Katan and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  15. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    For all we know, all the Jedi could have been having uncommitted sex...now, that's not my viewpoint, but it is possible since GL says sex is not verboten to Jedi.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It is definitely my belief that the Jedi were having uncommitted sex. I'm sure they were warned to use protection though.

17. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    where did Lucas say that Jedi were free to have sex?

to a casual viewer this is no way implied in the films

18. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Sorry - nowhere in the films. GL said it during an interview years ago.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, it wasn't said in the films, but the assumption that the Jedi were not free to have sex would imply a direct connection between sex and attachment. Attachment was forbidden to the Jedi, but sex was never mentioned at all.

20. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    just to mention: i wasn't saying i was a casual viewer, as i know a bit more than a casual viewer through reading things

well you could argue that having sex does lead to attachment, so it's best not to even get into that whole area

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It can, but it doesn't always.

But yeah, we don't need to argue it.

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Not on this thread, but I would like to discuss the Jedi's positions on sex and attachment sometime.

23. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    I remember reading from a shabby fanfic that younglings were taught to 'force pull'...

Bo-Katan and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    We had such a thread once - a long LONG time ago (like 5 years) so start one if you'd wish.

25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I think i might have commented on that old thread :p